Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4              36       37       end
  

Archive 2015 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility
  
 
Lunatique
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility


One more thing to consider is what AF modes are actually available with the various adapters. For example, in movie recording, some adapters cannot do continuous AF unless you half-press the shutter, which is of course, a problem for shooting videos. And some adapters can't do some AF modes like Continuous AF, Automatic AF, DMF, Lock-on AF, Eye-AF, etc.

If I'm buying the A7R II for all its advances in AF, then I sure the hell wouldn't want any of AF features crippled by using an adapter. And this is precisely why I'm still on the fence. I love high-end standard zooms (such as my EF 24-70mm f2.8 L II on the 5D Mark III, and Zuiko 12-40mm f2.8 Pro on the E-M1), but on the full-frame E-mount, only the 24-70mm f4 is available, and I just don't know if I'm willing to lose an entire stop. There's supposedly a f2.8 version coming, but who knows when that will be?



Aug 07, 2015 at 06:14 PM
Moroni
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility


Lunatique wrote:
One more thing to consider is what AF modes are actually available with the various adapters. For example, in movie recording, some adapters cannot do continuous AF unless you half-press the shutter, which is of course, a problem for shooting videos. And some adapters can't do some AF modes like Continuous AF, Automatic AF, DMF, Lock-on AF, Eye-AF, etc.

If I'm buying the A7R II for all its advances in AF, then I sure the hell wouldn't want any of AF features crippled by using an adapter. And this is precisely why I'm still on the fence. I love high-end standard
...Show more

We know that you can't use lock on continuous auto focus. I'm not sure what mode this is called. I've read three reports now that mention the Canon adapter does not work with this mode. Only native lens work.

-Brian



Aug 07, 2015 at 06:21 PM
Moroni
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility


Someone reported on DPReview.com that eye tracking and smile detection either did not work or were grayed out.

Can anyone confirm?

-Brian



Aug 07, 2015 at 06:48 PM
josha
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility


I can confirm that eye tracking, smile detection, and lock-on AF are not available.

Wide AF, center AF, and flexible spot are available. I've had the best luck with wide AF, although I'm not sure how to tell what it's going to lock onto or how to control it. Flexible spot sometimes works. (I've tried with a Metabones IV, latest firmware, and a 100-400 II and 24-70 II.)



Aug 07, 2015 at 06:54 PM
TheEmrys
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility


Oh man, its now a Canon adapter thread, and makes me look like a tool. Bummer.


Aug 07, 2015 at 06:57 PM
josha
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility


TheEmrys, I'm going to be trying some A-mount lenses this afternoon (specifically the 70-400 and 500) if that makes you feel like less of a tool :P


Aug 07, 2015 at 07:02 PM
Stoffer
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility


josha wrote:
Flexible spot sometimes works. (I've tried with a Metabones IV, latest firmware, and a 100-400 II and 24-70 II.)


Only sometimes? That doesn't sound too encouraging.



Aug 07, 2015 at 07:08 PM
sflxn
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility


Read somewhere that Fotodiox has been teasing a new version of their adapter that will do continuuous AF and will AF in video.


Aug 07, 2015 at 07:16 PM
Moroni
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility


josha wrote:
I can confirm that eye tracking, smile detection, and lock-on AF are not available.

Wide AF, center AF, and flexible spot are available. I've had the best luck with wide AF, although I'm not sure how to tell what it's going to lock onto or how to control it. Flexible spot sometimes works. (I've tried with a Metabones IV, latest firmware, and a 100-400 II and 24-70 II.)


I'm curious if this is a deal breaker for some people. Other than landscapes or stationary subjects it looks like you lose a decent amount of the AF capabilities of A7R. What a bummer...

I assume you tried both of the Metabones modes? I think there is a green mode and another. I don't own it yet.

-Brian



Aug 07, 2015 at 07:19 PM
Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility


What works today and what works in three months and six months is likely to be very different. The adapter manufacturers are going to have to put in some work to get more lenses working and the ones that are working working better. Expect prices on adapters to go up, but expect performance to go up too.


Aug 07, 2015 at 07:51 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



skibum5
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility


some unfortunate lenses in the doesn't work list
seems it will be quite hit or miss



Aug 07, 2015 at 07:58 PM
skibum5
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility


davewolfs wrote:
Was hoping that the 100-400 or 70-300 L would fit the bill. I've been considering these lenses.


yeah, it would be nice if some long stuff like that and/or super-tele plus extenders worked to take advantage of the high pixel density for more reach for distant widlife



Aug 07, 2015 at 08:01 PM
johnvanr
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility


Moroni wrote:
I'm curious if this is a deal breaker for some people. Other than landscapes or stationary subjects it looks like you lose a decent amount of the AF capabilities of A7R. What a bummer...

I assume you tried both of the Metabones modes? I think there is a green mode and another. I don't own it yet.

-Brian


Most of my Canon lenses are on the list of those not working well. Add to that that EOSHD says AF with Sony lenses is improved over the A7R but still not great and I'm seriously wondering if I upgrade anytime soon, if at all. If AF isn't up to the speed of a top DSLR or my Olympus MFT, I'll probably wait for the next version.



Aug 07, 2015 at 08:20 PM
Moroni
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility


johnvanr wrote:
Most of my Canon lenses are on the list of those not working well. Add to that that EOSHD says AF with Sony lenses is improved over the A7R but still not great and I'm seriously wondering if I upgrade anytime soon, if at all. If AF isn't up to the speed of a top DSLR or my Olympus MFT, I'll probably wait for the next version.


Sony only claimed a "40% improvement" so I wonder where people got the idea with would be a DSLR focus killer?

-Brian




Aug 07, 2015 at 08:23 PM
jamato8
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility


Moroni wrote:
Sony only claimed a "40% improvement" so I wonder where people got the idea with would be a DSLR focus killer?

-Brian



At 3200 dollars I would imagine some thought there would be a lot of meat put into he camera to justify the cost.



Aug 07, 2015 at 08:51 PM
Dave McGaughey
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility


Moroni wrote:
Sony only claimed a "40% improvement" so I wonder where people got the idea with would be a DSLR focus killer?

-Brian



http://www.dpreview.com/articles/1652088044/sony-an-eye-on-focus
http://www.canonrumors.com/2015/06/sony-claims-adapted-canon-lenses-af-nearly-as-fast-as-on-a-canon-dslr/



Aug 07, 2015 at 08:54 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility


jamato8 wrote:
At 3200 dollars I would imagine some thought there would be a lot of meat put into he camera to justify the cost.


Canon lenses will never AF perfectly well on an adapted Sony body. Usually adapted lenses are MF only.
IMO, what is happening is actually a little miracle with some Canon lenses in AF mode. For, example I just tested it with my 70-200 f/4L IS and was impressed. AF was fast in good light and OK in low light. I consider this a bonus.
Some lenses will do better than others but if your perception was to get the A7RII and autofocus with all your Canon lenses for critical work, you will be very disappointed.



Aug 07, 2015 at 09:07 PM
jamato8
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility


Fred Miranda wrote:
Canon lenses will never AF perfectly well on an adapted Sony body. Usually adapted lenses are MF only.
IMO, what is happening is actually a little miracle with some Canon lenses in AF mode. For, example I just tested it with my 70-200 f/4L IS and was impressed. AF was fast in good light and OK in low light. I consider this a bonus.
Some lenses will do better than others but if your perception was to get the A7RII and autofocus with all your Canon lenses for critical work, you will be very disappointed.


I watched the video showing fast focus in in dim light inside a few times. I got the impression it would be pretty good. The 24-70L II does good and also inside in dimmer light for me. Such is life. If this was anyone's only worry they would be lucky in this world. :^)


Edited on Aug 07, 2015 at 09:54 PM · View previous versions



Aug 07, 2015 at 09:11 PM
markmahaney
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility


Has anyone tried the new A7R II with the Commlite adapter. Many people found this to be better on the previous Sony bodies than the Metabones adapter. It's also a quarter of the cost. Anyone
Also.....not that they're AF, but I was hoping to use the new A7R II with my Canon 24mm TSE (tilt shift) and a Schneider 50mm (tilt/shift Canon mount). Anyone try either or these out yet? Curious about vignetting and resolution with the larger sensor.



Aug 07, 2015 at 09:19 PM
stevei
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility


I'm quite confused by the Metabones IV firmware. I bought mine a few days ago direct from Metabones in Hong Kong, the T version, and it arrived with 0.41, which is the latest version listed in the change history on the website, BUT the app offered an update to 4.20, which I applied. It now shows that it has 4.20:
http://www.cloudedforest.com/sharedfiles/mbfirmware420.png


I don't actually have a camera to use the adapter with to know if it still works, but I haven't seen anyone else mention having this firmware, and I don't understand why everyone else is talking about 0.41 being the latest and I seem to be the only one with 4.20!

Also, "centering" of these adapters has been discussed, and I have a friend who has some micrometers, so I used one to measure the flange separation in 6 places, where each bolt is. These were the measurements:
25.86
25.83
25.80
25.88
25.86
25.84
It's a little tricky to measure because the radius of one flange is smaller than the other, so you have to have the micrometer over the outer edge of the smaller flange, and over the inner edge of the larger flange. Measuring in the same location more than once I was seeing a varation of 0.03, so the above figures seem fairly reasonable compared to that. I don't know how much variation is needed to cause image softness?



Aug 07, 2015 at 11:42 PM
1       2      
3
       4              36       37       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4              36       37       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password