FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              18      
       20              36       37       end

Archive 2015 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

saintiwari
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.19 #1 · p.19 #1 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

EF-S 55-250 STM on Metabones. Any idea if it works?

Sep 03, 2015 at 04:31 PM
absolutic
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.19 #2 · p.19 #2 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

I want to know too. My 135L and 85 1.8 Ef are begging to be phase autofocused

rji2goleez wrote:
Firmware update for Techart EOS to NEX adapter with PDAF AF. I wonder if this will make AF work with some of the lenses that don't currently work on the A7rII.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/firmware-updated-for-techart-eos-e-mount-adapter-adds-full-a7rii-399-points-phase-detection-support/

Sep 03, 2015 at 04:33 PM
stevei
• • •
p.19 #3 · p.19 #3 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

My findings from my collection of Canon glass (probably duplicates a lot of what has already been posted, but I figure Fred is just keeping count for each lens, so more people testing can't hurt). Metabones IV T adapter used with beta 4.20 firmware.

24-105mm f/4 L IS: PDAF works well at all focal lengths, even in low light with flexible spot medium or large. Fast and accurate, can track focus with AF-C and Continuous Lo shooting mode. Some communication glitches experienced when shooting bursts, e.g. would drop out of AF to MF, sometimes needed the lens detaching and re-attaching to get everything working correctly again. Focusing works just as well with a 500D close up lens attached, fast and accurate focusing at or around min focus distance.

40mm f/2.8 pancake: Fast and accurate PDAF. Works with even small flexible spot, but greater success with medium or large if the target is more challenging e.g. lower light, lower contrast. No communication glitches experienced, but didn't try burst shooting.

17-40 f/4 L: Fast and accurate PDAF. No communication glitches experienced, but didn't try burst shooting.

135mm f/2 L: PDAF fail - hunts but doesn't achieve focus. Can be used okay with manual focus.

500mm f/4 L IS Mk I: PDAF fail - hunts but doesn't achieve focus. Okay for manual focus, no communication glitches experienced.

100-400mm L IS Mk I: PDAF fail - hunts but doesn't achieve focus, only tested at 400mm. Not even usable with manual focus as suffered severe communication glitches causing the camera to frequently reboot when trying to take a shot.

50mm f/1.4: My copy of this lens no longer AFs, even on a Canon body, so I can't test AF on the A7RII, however it works fine for manual focus with no communication glitches experienced.

Sep 03, 2015 at 05:47 PM
Mark K
• •
p.19 #4 · p.19 #4 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

oops..my lenses are so close to what you have

Sep 04, 2015 at 12:16 PM
absolutic
• • • •
p.19 #5 · p.19 #5 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

So I emailed a seller of the new Techart Canon EF to Sony adapter version 3.0. Here is the response that I got

RE: Techart new adapter. I emailed the seller and got the following response:

Hello,

Good day!

Thank you for your inquiry about TECHART EOS-NEX3 new adapter.

According to the official speciations, it is support the following lens as you mentioned:
1. Canon EF 85mm / 1.8USM
2. Canon EF 200mm / 2.8 II USM
3. Canon EF 135mm / 2L USM

For the camera, it is work with the following camera as you mentioned:
1. Sony a7RII

Please feel free to place the order it is suitable for you.

We are looking for serve you at excellent service level.

Kind regards,

---------

So obviously they did not understand my question. I of course wanted to know specifically if phase detection autofocus of A7RII finally works with above lenses, and that remains unanswered.

Sep 04, 2015 at 03:13 PM
tks546

p.19 #6 · p.19 #6 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

I have a TECHART EOS-NEX3 on the way and a 200mm / 2.8 II USM.

I'll update when it arrives.

It definitely doesn't work with my Metabones IV.

Sep 06, 2015 at 01:23 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.19 #7 · p.19 #7 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Question to those with experience in these things: With the 35L, which seems to play nicely with ALL the adaptors (fast, accurate AF), can people who have tried it list their serial numbers (or better yet, build year) and adapter brand/version?

I ask because I tried my A7rII with my 35L on what I think was a Commlite adaptor at a shop recently (was sitting on a video camera mounted to a Zeiss 21mm f/2.8) in Vietnam, so who knows if it was really Commlite. And I absolutely have no idea what I'm doing as far as settings to use the adaptor...

The combo in a few AF modes was super fast through the focus range (I mean, faster than my 5D2 middle point), but it would never lock-- instead it would bounce between focus and and out repeatedly in a never-ending, bipolar undulation. Or perhaps, it is better to say it jumped repeatedly in and out of focus without locking... but at high speed!

I'm wondering if pre-2006 35Ls don't work on some adapters, even though I know some pre-2006 lenses work fine (and some post-2006 lenses won't work at all). Just trying to figure out if I can blindly buy an adaptor of a certain brand online that is likely to work... since few shops (I currently live in Germany) stock anything beyond the Metabones, which is well overpriced for me.

Sep 06, 2015 at 03:34 AM
absolutic
• • • •
p.19 #8 · p.19 #8 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Very interested in ur findings

tks546 wrote:

Sep 06, 2015 at 05:28 AM
itsskin

p.19 #9 · p.19 #9 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Sony Art 35 and 24 do work great with Metabones IV 0.41 but for like 50-100 frames in continuous shooting mode. After that they "loose" AF and it's really hard to make them work again. Detaching adapter, lens, pulling the battery does not help.

17-40 on the other hand is flawless. Works all the time.

Sep 09, 2015 at 01:36 AM
absolutic
• • • •
p.19 #10 · p.19 #10 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Guys please read the official Techart 3 adapter chart and description here. Are they saying they figured out and opened up Phase AF on A6000/A7/A72 alike A7RII with Canon EF lenses? There are a lot of typos in English translation but still.... maybe I am not reading it correct. I am of course more interested in A7RII adaptability with those Canon lenses that Metabones fail to phase autofocus and I am not sure there is anything different here.

http://s61.radikal.ru/i174/1509/dc/dede3a3deccb.jpg

Sep 09, 2015 at 01:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mark K
• •
p.19 #11 · p.19 #11 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

tks546 wrote:

My A7rII with Techart does not let 200f2.8L II for proper focusing

Sep 09, 2015 at 04:33 PM
absolutic
• • • •
p.19 #12 · p.19 #12 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Mark K wrote:
My A7rII with Techart does not let 200f2.8L II for proper focusing

Thanks Mark, I am glad we heard from someone with the actual adapter, I assume you have the latest version III right?

Sep 09, 2015 at 05:02 PM
mogul
• • • •
p.19 #13 · p.19 #13 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Here is Brian Smith's new rundown of adapters
http://briansmith.com/sony-a7rii-canon-ef-smart-adapter-tests/

Sep 09, 2015 at 06:45 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.19 #14 · p.19 #14 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Still no word on a pre-2006 35L on any adapters? I've dying to try out my 2003/UR-date code 35L, but I'm doubtful enough I don't want to start buying adapters... there are few I can try in person.

Sep 10, 2015 at 04:18 AM
retrofocus
• • • • •
p.19 #15 · p.19 #15 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

justruss wrote:
Still no word on a pre-2006 35L on any adapters? I've dying to try out my 2003/UR-date code 35L, but I'm doubtful enough I don't want to start buying adapters... there are few I can try in person.

I certainly have a pre-2006 35L lens (I bought it used several years ago), and AF works with Metabones III adapter and the A7R (I don't have the A7R II, so I can't help you there).

Sep 10, 2015 at 11:49 AM
tks546

p.19 #16 · p.19 #16 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

My adapter came in. It's actually the Techart EOS-iNexII not the version 3 with the switch.
But I'm happy to say it works great with my two Canon lenses the 40mm and 200f2.8L II.
I had a difficult time updating the firmware, my A7RII would not recognize the adapter until it was on version 3 firmware. Luckily I still had my A7R to do the update.
The 200mm was tracking cars driving down the street in front of my office this morning using af-c / wide mode without issue.

-Tom

Sep 10, 2015 at 12:18 PM
KiboOst
• • •
p.19 #17 · p.19 #17 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

mogul wrote:

Amazing testing work there !
A7RII would really suit me for its AF with my Canon lenses, shame about this long exposure noise/12bits/hot pixels issues !!

Sep 10, 2015 at 01:42 PM
AJSJones
• • • •
p.19 #18 · p.19 #18 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

mogul wrote:

One on that list that "work well over whole FL range" in Brian's evaluation are on Fred's "don't work well or at all" list - 100-400 v2 -that I'm interested in. Any more members have input on that one? Or is Brian the odd one out?

Sep 10, 2015 at 01:59 PM
capt3450
• •
p.19 #19 · p.19 #19 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Hi,

Where was you ordered? directly from Techart or ebay. BTW do you have 135L to try? interested to this Techart 3 but seems no one have it yet although ebay listed for V3.

-capt3450

tks546 wrote:
My adapter came in. It's actually the Techart EOS-iNexII not the version 3 with the switch.
But I'm happy to say it works great with my two Canon lenses the 40mm and 200f2.8L II.
I had a difficult time updating the firmware, my A7RII would not recognize the adapter until it was on version 3 firmware. Luckily I still had my A7R to do the update.
The 200mm was tracking cars driving down the street in front of my office this morning using af-c / wide mode without issue.

-Tom

Sep 10, 2015 at 05:52 PM
tks546

p.19 #20 · p.19 #20 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

I ordered mine from ebay. I only have access to the 40 and 200mm
Looking at the translation (posted above) it looks like the version 3 and 2 are the same with 3 adding the extra mode with the switch, but it says not to use that mode on the A7rII.

-Tom

capt3450 wrote:
Hi,

Where was you ordered? directly from Techart or ebay. BTW do you have 135L to try? interested to this Techart 3 but seems no one have it yet although ebay listed for V3.

-capt3450

Sep 10, 2015 at 07:06 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password