1       2       3              17      
       19              36       37       end

Archive 2015 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

rick5
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #1 · p.18 #1 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

pano200 wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has experienced a bad metabones adapter yet? ordered the MEEFEBT4 adapter from B&H and all I get on camera is: the lens is not attached correctly or is not supported. Tried twisting the lens or adapter slightly off 'click' to see if contacts weren't lined up or something.. but got no results.

I've tried it with 2 copies of the canon 50mm f1.2L lenses on the A7rii.

Just emailed metabones about it... has anyone else had the same problem?

UPDATE: found out that slightly untwisting the adapter from fully locked it allowed the AF to work great... guess it's
...Show more

Return it, I had the same exact problem. I went back to B&H and got a new one and tested it on the spot with a 50L and it just worked.

I've seen a couple of people with issues like this on the new metabones on this and other forums.

-eric

http://www.ericchenphotography.com

Aug 30, 2015 at 10:46 AM
rick5
• •
p.18 #2 · p.18 #2 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

gidronic wrote:
I'd like to share an experience. I've got a7RII + Commlite adapter and a little pile of Canon lenses. Hopefully trying to make them work together I got such results:
All sets a7RII + Commlite + Canon 16-35/4L IS / 24-70 2,8L II / 70-200 2,8L II work quite fast and properly. Actually there is nothing to complain about. But! This damn but...
a7RII + Commlite don't work at all with Canon 35 1,4L / 50 1,2L / 85 1,2L II + Phase detect AF. At the same time they surprisingly work (very slow) with contrast AF in video mode only
...Show more

I had the same experience w/ the commlite also. My zooms worked but none of my primes worked (35L, 50L, 85L MK2, 100L, 135L) with Phase detect AF. I ended up giving up on it and returning it. The Metabones IV T worked so far after two shoots and about 1500 frames. My only complaint is that it sometimes loses communication with my 35L. When that happens, I have to reattach the lens to the metabones adapter and it works again until the next failure.

-eric

Aug 30, 2015 at 10:52 AM
mogul
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #3 · p.18 #3 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

rick5 wrote:
I had the same experience w/ the commlite also. My zooms worked but none of my primes worked (35L, 50L, 85L MK2, 100L, 135L) with Phase detect AF. I ended up giving up on it and returning it. The Metabones IV T worked so far after two shoots and about 1500 frames. My only complaint is that it sometimes loses communication with my 35L. When that happens, I have to reattach the lens to the metabones adapter and it works again until the next failure.

-eric

Aren't the primes all older models which date from before 2006 (the cut off date for compatibility)?

Aug 30, 2015 at 11:02 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.18 #4 · p.18 #4 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

mogul wrote:
Aren't the primes all older models which date from before 2006 (the cut off date for compatibility)?

No, the 50L and 100L date after 2006, (2007 and 2009 respectively). The 85L MK II came out in 2006, but the 35L and 135L were long before 2006 (1998 and 1996 respectively).

Aug 30, 2015 at 11:32 AM
mogul
• • • •
p.18 #5 · p.18 #5 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Could the 50 and 100 use an older than 2006 ROM since both of these lenses aren't noted for their speed?

Aug 30, 2015 at 12:32 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.18 #6 · p.18 #6 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

mogul wrote:
Could the 50 and 100 use an older than 2006 ROM since both of these lenses aren't noted for their speed?

I assume the 100 is slow because it is a macro. The 50 is probably a bit slower because of the huge chunks of glass in order to get the f/1.2 aperture. The 85L (even the MK II) is actually slower than the 50L, but that makes sense as it has even more glass. I don't think anyone knows which lenses have which ROMs except the people at Canon and I doubt they are telling.

Aug 30, 2015 at 12:36 PM
Frostefdflake
• •
p.18 #7 · p.18 #7 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Just got my a7rII, and I am waiting to pick up my Meatbones IV.

What are the ideal camera settings to get the best autofocus results?

Aug 31, 2015 at 06:40 AM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.18 #8 · p.18 #8 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Hi
Has anyone tried 85L II and 50L? How are they compared to 5DIII mounted?

Aug 31, 2015 at 07:39 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.18 #9 · p.18 #9 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Frostefdflake wrote:
Just got my a7rII, and I am waiting to pick up my Meatbones IV.

What are the ideal camera settings to get the best autofocus results?

Not much to set actually; the default setting is PDAF and that's what you want to do. The CDAF is painfully slow, just like the previous cameras prior to the A7r II. You can set the size of the AF point to your liking and needs and you just have to try the best setting, depending on your situation either AF-S or AF-C.

I use the AF back button now but the button is small and not as "ergonomic" to use as in a Canon body but it works. A few times I fumbled and had to look where it was to push it.

nandadevieast wrote:
Hi
Has anyone tried 85L II and 50L? How are they compared to 5DIII mounted?

I sold my 50L almost two years ago but I still have the 85L II. I dusted that lens off and put it on the A7r II in combo with Metabones IV (I updated the firmware about a month ago). Believe it or not, the speed and accuracy of the AF of that lens on my A7r II is about on par with my already sold Canon 5D Mark III. It is impressively sure-footed and zippy (for that lens, that is) in both AF-S and even AF-C. Still, I would not use it for sport just like I wouldn't do that using the 5D Mark III.

Aug 31, 2015 at 10:08 AM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.18 #10 · p.18 #10 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Appreciate. Thanks.

I sold my 50L almost two years ago but I still have the 85L II. I dusted that lens off and put it on the A7r II in combo with Metabones IV (I updated the firmware about a month ago). Believe it or not, the speed and accuracy of the AF of that lens on my A7r II is about on par with my already sold Canon 5D Mark III. It is impressively sure-footed and zippy (for that lens, that is) in both AF-S and even AF-C. Still, I would not use it for sport just like I wouldn't do
...Show more

Aug 31, 2015 at 10:41 AM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.18 #11 · p.18 #11 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Dear Fred,
There's 85L listed in your list, but not LII. I hope its not a mistake because Mark I came before 2006.

I will appreciate if a similar list can be created for lesser adapters, especially Commlite which seems to be working as well for some people.

Aug 31, 2015 at 10:45 AM
gidronic

p.18 #12 · p.18 #12 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

rick5 wrote:
The Metabones IV T worked so far after two shoots and about 1500 frames. My only complaint is that it sometimes loses communication with my 35L. When that happens, I have to reattach the lens to the metabones adapter and it works again until the next failure....

That's great. I'm gonna order a Metabones IV T instead of my Commlite.

Aug 31, 2015 at 11:58 AM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.18 #13 · p.18 #13 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

How is the accuracy on these lenses as say compared to the 5D3? Except for wildlife, I don't have crazy AF needs (i.e. super fast action or incredibly low light).

Thanks,
Chris

Aug 31, 2015 at 12:04 PM
rick5
• •
p.18 #14 · p.18 #14 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Steve Spencer wrote:
I assume the 100 is slow because it is a macro. The 50 is probably a bit slower because of the huge chunks of glass in order to get the f/1.2 aperture. The 85L (even the MK II) is actually slower than the 50L, but that makes sense as it has even more glass. I don't think anyone knows which lenses have which ROMs except the people at Canon and I doubt they are telling.

My 100L macro is newer than 2006. It fails to lock on close up objects. My 50L and 85L mk2 seem to be the same speed as my 5D mk3

My 100L did exhibit a strange behavior when I unmounted, it seemed like the IS mechanism was loose and I can hear it loose inside. I remounted it on the 5D and it tightened up again and no further noise.

-eric

Aug 31, 2015 at 02:52 PM
rick5
• •
p.18 #15 · p.18 #15 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Schlotkins wrote:
How is the accuracy on these lenses as say compared to the 5D3? Except for wildlife, I don't have crazy AF needs (i.e. super fast action or incredibly low light).

Thanks,
Chris

I've seen it fairly accurate in daylight, I was able to track the subject back and forth on AF-C before the buffer filled up and the card writing locked. At 42 mp, u can easily tell if the eyes are OOF and AF screws up. As for low light, I'm not sure..... I've seen it not lock on my fast primes and other times it seems to lock.

-eric

Aug 31, 2015 at 03:05 PM
Frostefdflake
• •
p.18 #16 · p.18 #16 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

We can add the 100mm f2 to the list of not working. Mine just hunts like crazy.

Aug 31, 2015 at 04:57 PM
stevei
• • •
p.18 #17 · p.18 #17 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Without reading all 18 pages, is there any info on transmission of focal length and focus distance for Canon lenses via the adapter to the R2 for IBIS to work?

I'd hope that focal length is transmitted for all lenses and picked up by the R2, to at least get 3 axis IBIS working properly without having to manually set the focal length?

Is focus distance transmitted to get 5 axis IBIS?

I have searched about a bit for this info, but this, for example, doesn't answer the above that I can see:
http://briansmith.com/canon-ef-to-sony-e-mount-smart-adapter-compatibility-guide/

I'm thinking that if lenses vary in what info reaches the R2 and hence how well they work with IBIS, this would be worth including in the list along with how well AF works.

Aug 31, 2015 at 06:38 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.18 #18 · p.18 #18 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

John Daniel wrote:
Fred,

Just a quick note to mention that I have tested the A7R II with the Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS + adapted with the latest Metabone Smart adapter IV and unfortunatly, autofocus is not always working properly.

On short distance (not focal) it simply cannot lock on focus. Ex. put the lens at 200mm focal and shoot something with about 10 to 15 feet and it cannot lock on. But aim at something around 20 feet + and it works. And when it does, it is at medium speed; not very fast. I tried it at 200mm and 400mm and
...Show more

It's really disappointing about the 200-400.

EBH

Aug 31, 2015 at 08:43 PM
Jimi3
• • •
p.18 #19 · p.18 #19 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

You don't have to manually input the focal length for ibis to work with the metabones and canon lenses.

Aug 31, 2015 at 11:21 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.18 #20 · p.18 #20 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Firmware update for Techart EOS to NEX adapter with PDAF AF. I wonder if this will make AF work with some of the lenses that don't currently work on the A7rII.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/firmware-updated-for-techart-eos-e-mount-adapter-adds-full-a7rii-399-points-phase-detection-support/

Sep 03, 2015 at 10:46 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.