Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · D750 or something else?

dmatts

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D750 or something else?

Hey all,

I'm having a hell of a time trying to decide what should be next for my main camera. I currently have a Canon 7D with the kit lens, 70-200 f/4 and and Zeiss 50mm f/2 and plan on selling all of them to move to a new system. My main goal is for improved low light performance over the Canon offerings as well as full frame and a similarly good autofocus system to the 7D. My main uses would be indoor shots of friends, family, and dog as well as landscapes and limited sports use (mainly ski touring and downhill). I currently have a Ricoh GR that I use as a general purpose walk around camera that I can carry with me most places, so I'd use this camera for more pre-determined usage.

My question is whether the D750 is worth it over the now much cheaper D800 or even a D700 with the extra money going to better or more glass. I'm also considering the sony a7's with the thought that they would be less intrusive in a group situation and for candids. I've noticed that with the GR, people are more likely to ignore the presence of that camera when compared to the 7D and I can get away with taking pictures in more environments where someone might confiscate or bar a DSLR.

Thank you all for your help

Aug 05, 2015 at 04:11 PM
kiddik
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D750 or something else?

I'm a longtime Canon guy who's in the middle of a transition to Nikon for the sake of the wonderful Sony sensor. I'm getting myself a D810, but I thought real hard about getting a D750 - I think the D750 is the most capable dSLR ever, it has the best of both the prosumer world and the pro world. Tiltable LCD, yet with world's highest DR, professional AF and just everything I can think of. If it only had 36mpx! I'm a pixelpeeper by heart so switching systems for only 2 extra megapixels was not in the books for me, but wow that camera is impressive.

PS. Welcome to FM!

Aug 05, 2015 at 04:24 PM
Surfnsun
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D750 or something else?

For your described purposes, I'd go with the D700 & better glass. Plenty capable & proven workhorse.

Aug 05, 2015 at 04:35 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D750 or something else?

The D810 is the no-brainer choice for all-round photography (IMHO) unless you really don't need what it offers over the D750. If you need absolute maximum ISO performance, the D750 is slightly better, but you lose the pro-body and 50% resolution for those landscapes, sports cropping, and family shots. You also get 7FPS capability in 1.5 crop mode on the D810 if you need to push it for sports. The AF on both blows the 7D out of the water so no worries there. If 90% of your shots are in poorly lit indoor environments at huge ISO's, the D750 might be the way to go, but if you want a true "do everything" camera there is nothing else out there like the D810.

Nothing wrong with a used D700 but a lot has changed in 8 years and I would really try to get into a D750 if you're leaning in that direction.

Welcome to FM and feel free to post as many questions as you like.

EDIT: Actually if I were you I would think really hard about picking up one of these refurb D810's for $2000 if they aren't already gone:

http://nikonrumors.com/2015/08/04/deal-of-the-day-refurbished-nikon-d810-for-2099.aspx/

Aug 05, 2015 at 04:40 PM
Surfnsun
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D750 or something else?

I'll agree that if you've got the cash, the D810 is an amazing camera. I love mine! I was just going with the idea of being frugal & saving some money. Although with all these price drops lately, it'd be hard to pass up a D810 or D750.

Aug 05, 2015 at 05:07 PM
dmatts

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D750 or something else?

I priced the cameras out for comparison:

D700 ~$800
D800 ~$1400
D750 ~$1500
D810 ~$2350 (The refurb deal ended. Damn)

Nikon 20mm f/1.8G ED ~$800
Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art ~$770
NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G ~$420
Nikon 135mm f/2 AF-D DC ~$1100

Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G ~$1300
Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC ~820
Tamron Lens SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC ~$960

With the price difference between the D750 and D810 ($850), I could pick up an extra lens. I do have budgeting concerns and would like to spend a maximum of $3500-$4000 to begin with. That's mainly why I'm shying away from the D810. I'd also like to put a higher priority on lenses compared to the body (bodies come and go).

Aug 05, 2015 at 05:13 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D750 or something else?

Do not consider the A7. It's a good enough camera for many things but it is useless in low light. The EVF stops being remotely useful around dusk.

I might lean toward Surfnsun's suggestion in some ways. The D700 is low light king. But the overall flexibility of the D750 sensor is higher. Do be warned that they lie about flash sync speed, the D750 is 1/160th not the D700's 1/250th, that was a moderate issue for me but may be irrelevant to you.

Aug 05, 2015 at 05:43 PM
tobycat2
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D750 or something else?

Lee Saxon wrote:
Do not consider the A7. It's a good enough camera for many things but it is useless in low light. The EVF stops being remotely useful around dusk.

I might lean toward Surfnsun's suggestion in some ways. The D700 is low light king. But the overall flexibility of the D750 sensor is higher. Do be warned that they lie about flash sync speed, the D750 is 1/160th not the D700's 1/250th, that was a moderate issue for me but may be irrelevant to you.

My d750 flash syncs up to 1/200. Am I missing something with the 1/160 comment?

Aug 05, 2015 at 10:51 PM
snooked123
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D750 or something else?

I would go with D750 used which can be found on the B&S forum for $1600.

D750 is better at high iso compared to d800 and D700. The autofocus is more responsive than a d700 and it has many more MPs than 12. Also, it has a very useful 1.2x mode which results in a 16MP image which I think is great.

With the d800s you need to be careful about the left autofocus issue. Either you buy them and hope the one you are getting is not plagued by the left autofocus issue or just don't test for it hehe.

D750 syncs at 1/200. There is another mode where it syncs at 1/250 with compatible flashes but i don't know the pros and cons of that option.

And if you have the option, do not buy gray market hehe

Edited on Aug 05, 2015 at 11:13 PM · View previous versions

Aug 05, 2015 at 11:11 PM
nick53097
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D750 or something else?

D750 all the way
For your goals it would be one perfect camera
D610 would be a cheaper alternative

Aug 05, 2015 at 11:11 PM
Elisha82
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D750 or something else?

I wouldn't go so far as saying the D750 has a better or faster AF than the 7D. I owned the 7D from its release week and it had amazing AF thanks to its all 19 cross points. The D750 has difficulties with low contrast subjects on the non cross point AF points.
But the plus point of the D750 is that it can focus down to -3EV.
I have to say I miss the Spot AF on the 7D. Wish that the D750 had it!

Aug 05, 2015 at 11:52 PM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D750 or something else?

kiddik wrote:
I'm a longtime Canon guy who's in the middle of a transition to Nikon for the sake of the wonderful Sony sensor. I'm getting myself a D810, but I thought real hard about getting a D750 - I think the D750 is the most capable dSLR ever, it has the best of both the prosumer world and the pro world. Tiltable LCD, yet with world's highest DR, professional AF and just everything I can think of. If it only had 36mpx! I'm a pixelpeeper by heart so switching systems for only 2 extra megapixels was not in the books for
...Show more

I'm another longtime Canon user who is disappointed with the bodies Canon offers and looking to buy either a Nikon D750 or a Sony A7RII (if the AF with Canon lenses is really good). IMHO the D750 is indeed an excellent 'all-round' camera, a bit less 'pro' than D810 when it comes to build quality, speed and resolution but for the OP's subjects those don't seem very relevant. I'm not suggesting the A7RII I mentioned is equivalent to D750 but the big advantage to me is that I might get away with using my current Canon lenses, while on Nikon platform a significant investment in Nikon lenses is required. Both options have their pros and cons ...

Also agree with the 'if only it had 36mpx!' for more cropping ability when one is 'focal length limited' (similar resolution as current APS-C bodies when using the same lens), for nature/wildlife etc. A D750 with the new 42MP Sony sensor and a bit bigger/faster buffer would be my dream camera.

Aug 06, 2015 at 07:13 AM
kiddik
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D750 or something else?

Another thing that I forgot to mention earlier, is that in my opinion, the grip on the D750 is way, way more comfortable than the one on the D800 - for me that's a huge issue (thankfully the D810 grip is better than the D800 grip). I too thought about the A7 route, but a friend loaned me the entire Sony A7 catalog (as it was a few months ago) to try for two weeks, and I was completely cured - to me, the A7 feels like a computer with a sensor on it, it had no soul. I need clicks, bangs and moving parts. I need focusing helicoids that actually move something physically, and I need an OVF, although I wouldn't mind seeing a EVF/OVF hybrid in a future dSLR body. But back on topic, I'd pick D750 over D800 all day, any day. But I'd also pick the D810 over the D750, most days

Aug 06, 2015 at 07:59 AM
milkod2001
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D750 or something else?

I can only speak for D750 which i own for a few weeks now(coming from 5Dmk2).

D750 is great camera, light, fantastic IQ, DR, AF and all what you need.

I would not bother with D700 or D800. D750 is newer, has better tech and is lighter

D810 makes only sense when you need to print large. If not, D750 will do just fine plus
you can get yourself some extra nice prime lens(sigma 35/1.4, Nikon 20/1.8)

i like your lens options you might go with. i'd just add there Nikon 70-200 f4. It might be better than Tamron(not sure about that thought).

Aug 06, 2015 at 08:38 AM
aut0maticdan
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D750 or something else?

I currently have the D800 and D750. I had the D700 but sold it to my sister years ago to start her photography business and she has since added the D810.

I'd start off by saying the D700 is an awesome camera but really should only be considered to keep the body budget low in order to buy lenses. That's actually not a bad plan and its a great camera with probably the best OOC skin tone rendering of the four models, but its outclassed by the others in almost all other areas. Its the lowest resolution and poorest high ISO performer of the bunch (not by a ton), so I'm not sure it really meets your minimum requirements.

The D750/D800/D810 comparison is much more interesting.

The D810 overlaps with most of the best features of the D800 and D750 plus no AA. Its the best. Also has the best shutter sound by a significant margin. There are no real downsides to this camera besides price and bulk. EDIT: Forgot to mention base ISO 64 on this bad boy which is kind of a big deal. It firmly cements the D810 as the bright light king and makes it the best body to use with the 14-24.

The D750 has a lot of the updated features from the D810: additional tracking modes, new highlight priority metering, focus point orientation memory and improved video features. These give it a more refined feel over the D800. It also is the stand out of the bunch in a some areas: maybe the best grip (subjective--close with the D810 in my book). Its lighter and smaller. it has a flip out screen which I find quite useful. It has the best FPS with a caveat (smaller buffer). I bought an $8 remote trigger for it from amazon that is small enough to swallow. WIFI! I have U1/U2 programmed for different video modes I like to shoot in. Dual SD cards is my preference.

I have two gripes with the D750: no dedicated AF-ON button and no 1/8000th. These can be major downers. Since I switch back and forth, I find it harder to reach the reprogramed AF-L button; it is not in the right place and I often hit the info button after hunting for a bit. Using an sb800 to optically trigger my lp-180s, I've hacked my way to pretty high flash sync speeds, so that is not an issue for me. I love this camera. I feel like its so well-rounded. I miss a few features and ergonomics of the 800 line, but love the additional consumer features that fit nicely into every day life.

The D800 overlaps with the pro ergonomics, features and resolution of the D810 but lacks the recent refinements I mention with the D750. It also has 1/8000th and more ways to hook up lighting over the D750. 36MP files are easier to work on, if you do a lot of fine detail work or masking at 100% in lightroom/photoshop. You definitely notice the difference of 50% more pixels in post processing. I like the round eye piece on the view finder of the D810/D800. I have no explanation for this other than I think it looks way cooler. I think the pro bodies look way cooler in general. I’m not one that sees a huge benefit in the image quality of the D810 over the D800. I also have no problems with the focusing speed or accuracy of the D800. I think its on par with the others in this group. On the downside, the D800 has a loud clunky shutter compared to the other two. Its tough to be inconspicuous with it between its size and sound.

In short... You can't go wrong with this bunch. If you absolutely need the best image quality, the D810 may currently be unbeatable. There is no camera that handles as well and provides the same results. The D800 gets you most of the way there on a budget but definitely lacks the refinement of the recent models. The D750 is a very refined camera with a lot of extras and is no slouch in the resolution department.

I think the D750 is the best of the group for most people and that includes myself. If I had to give up the D800 or D750, I'd give up the D800. The reasons are simple. Its size and extra features are nice. If we are being honest, I reduce all photos to around 12MP before sharing them anyway and I print very seldom. I like to shoot video. The D750 + 58/1.4 feel awesome together and I could shoot them all day every day. I was feeling a strong pull from Sony’s new line and the D750 reeled me back in with its improved video and hobbiest-oriented features. Most of these things would mean nothing to a working pro, but I feel like they integrate the camera into my life and shooting style more effectively.

I do reach for the D800 in cases where I'm shooting landscapes. This is just because I am programmed to think high MP is for landscapes, but see my point about sharing at 12mp and seldom printing. I also grab it if I'm doing significant lighting work that may involved reducing ambient light. I sometimes use it for portraits mostly due to ergonomics and because I have a battery grip. Its also great, if you plan to do a lot of touchup work on the resulting images. Basically, I use the D800 when I want to act like a working pro and the D750 the other 90% of the time

Aug 06, 2015 at 10:45 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D750 or something else?

I've used 1 or 2 x D700's in ~65 of the 75 weddings I've shot, and a D750 in 1, a D810 in 2, a D610 in ~5, and a D3s in ~5.

My eminently subjective impressions are:

-D810's shutter is SUPER quiet, even more than the D610's.

-The D750's hotshoe has given problems w/ off-camera flash triggers:
http://nikonrumors.com/2015/05/04/phottix-the-nikon-d750-hot-shoe-has-different-dimensions-than-previous-camera-models.aspx/

-Do consider a used D3s as well. The ergonomics are AWESOME, and like the D700, it's becoming an insane bargain as the lemmings rush to buy newer gear.

-If you like a smaller body, go w/ the D750; if you're like me & feel that heavier = easier to hold steady, go w/ the D700 or D810. But do consider this BEFORE you buy.

Everything else I'd say has already been expressed.

Whichever camera you buy, you won't be disappointed, especially since you have the right priorities regarding better glass over "the latest technology"

Aug 07, 2015 at 06:15 AM
keema

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D750 or something else?

I am moving from D750 to D810. I just felt the AF of the D750 is not consistent sometimes. Also, on a static subject, comparing the middle focus point and the 2 left and right outermost focus point it's not as sharp compared to the middle. Maybe my copy but I just want consistency. Also, maybe it's my lens (tammy 24-70 F2.8).

Also, my D750 doesn not accurately show the exact area where u pick a focus on your subject and enabling the show focus point after the shot.

Lastly, when I used the D810 the shutter sounds so silent and I feel there's no "slapping" sound (don't know the right term) on the mirrors that can caused some camera shake ending with a not sharp pics like the D750.

Aug 07, 2015 at 07:57 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D750 or something else?

I don't know about "much cheaper" with a used D800e selling for $1600 as compared to a new D750 selling for $2,000. The D800/800e/810 all require CF cards for the primary slot. If you are using SD cards with your Canon then add the cost of high speed CF cards to your cost comparison.

I had the D800e and currently have the D810 and D750 so my observations while subjective are based on actual use of these cameras. The primary advantages of the D750 over the D800e was the addition of group autofocus mode and the tilting display (for use with my tilt shift lenses).

The advantage of the D8xx cameras is that you have a 36MP full frame camera or at 1.2x crop mode you have a 24MP camera with a field of view more comparable to a APS-C camera like your Canon. For situations where you do not need 36MP full frame this is a decided advantage. Why take shots with full frame and then end up cropping 25% or more out later in post processing the images?

Both cameras have the Nikon iTTL and the Commander internal flash so you can wirelessly fire a remote SB-700 or similar flash from Nikon or Metz or other companies. This is so much better than the Canon one and I use it all the time. I can usually hold the SB-800 off to one side with one hand while taking the shot with the camera in my other hand. Great for closeups and for people photography where there are advantages to getting the camera off the flash.

The build level of the D8xx cameras is a big step up from that of the D750. The D750 construction puts it on the level of the D7200 APS-C and other cameras further down the pyramid. For hand held shooting I greatly prefer the D8xx camera to the D750 which feels small by comparison and it can be awkward for me to reach the controls like the function button and preview button on the D750 when using a large lens.

At this time a used D800e with a low shutter count bought from a private party is the best bang for the buck with any Nikon camera today.

Forget about the D700 camera that uses 2008 technology. A lot has improved over the following 5 years with the D800 and D750 cameras. The D750 has 50% more resolution, better low light autofocus with its -3 EV sensors and its f8 autofocus sensors, better action focusing with the group autofous, and 2-stop better high ISO performance. The D800e is comparable but lacks group AF though does also have the f8 autofocus sensors which do make a difference in low light situations or when using f5.6 lenses with teleconverters.

Aug 07, 2015 at 01:24 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D750 or something else?

generally, I'd say D750

exceptions:

1. landscapes - top quality for blowups esp. will mean a D810

2. limited sports use - you need a camera that is good in the snow/cold, yet is very fast to use and shoot - be sure the D750 will do that for you; if not, you need a pro body (and a lot of money)

Aug 07, 2015 at 01:46 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.