FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Venue Photos

ricardovaste
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Venue Photos

This is a serious pet peeve of mine.

How do you tackle this?

So say you're at a wedding where there isn't a planner of anyone overseeing things. That means it's really just the couple, friends, family, who you'll get to know reasonably well and they'll all know what they're getting. They trust you and it's all well, people have a great time. You get great photos.

That is most of my weddings.

A different scenario is perhaps a more typical wedding venue, perhaps a little 'traditional' in some ways in which it works. There might be 1 or 2 people overseeing things.

This can create a problem because they then think they have to 'sell' their venue, and their location. And some (a lot) think all brides will want X,Y,Z typical photos at all the "best locations". Think grand stairways and other such cringey things.

You'd think good communication would suffice but apparently not so. Most get it - they should just leave it to me. Some apparently don't listen at all.

To give you an example. Small/unconventional ceremony room, the 'organiser' always makes the couple stop and 'wait for the photographer' at the doorway, so I can take a photo. It kills me inside that anyone would have to do that, when entering for their wedding with their dad - it's ridiculous.

So I've spoken to him before and even remind him "do NOT do this" - "Okay, fine".

So he does it again. And I'm obviously hidden out of the way in order to get the image I know they'll love.

And instead they're looking nervously around FOR me because some moron has told them they should be waiting for me.

*dies inside*

!!!

It's almost like someone has given this guy instructions on how to create the exact opposite of what the clients & I want.

It's out of my system now anyway. And yes, I did speak to him afterwards... hopefully it won't ever happen again.

Any similar stories of pain to share?

Aug 05, 2015 at 10:16 AM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Venue Photos

I cringe at bitchy photographers.

Aug 05, 2015 at 10:57 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Venue Photos

rondphoto wrote:
I cringe at bitchy photographers.

I cringe at FM Wedding Forum. You make it fail, Ron.

Aug 05, 2015 at 11:01 AM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Venue Photos

Most people who do these type of things are usually trying to be genuinely helpful. Once had a celebrant continuously refer to me during the ceremony "let's all smile for the photographers people!" and so on. Inside I was screaming "NO! DON'T LOOK AT ME! PRETEND I DO NOT EXIST!" Ever since that day I meet with the celebrant before the wedding and explain my process. Not much you can do if you asked and they still do it. That's why we're pros, we can still adapt even if everything isn't perfect.

The only controlling person I ever met who was truly nasty was a single catholic church lady in 2012. Nasty bitch all the way to her DNA. The bride's grandpa was so irritated at her attitude he said he'd write to the Vatican to report her. lol

Richard, better to just ignore the unpleasant trolls than to acknowledge them. I moderated a huge forum for 10 years, I retired last April, I learned some people just live with piss in their cereals every day.

Aug 05, 2015 at 11:19 AM
tgillespie
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Venue Photos

It starts with finding clients that see past the Pinterest crap and fake stuff. If however they just don't know any better, I'd say take the shot, and move on. Or... figure out how to do something crazy with it...

This isnt going to get you in tight with the venue, but the clients they feed you probably aren't your ideal client either.

Shoot and move on... and stop bitching about it

Aug 05, 2015 at 11:22 AM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Venue Photos

FrancisK7 wrote:
Richard, better to just ignore the unpleasant trolls than to acknowledge them. I moderated a huge forum for 10 years, I retired last April, I learned some people just live with piss in their cereals every day.

I wasn't trolling.

There are some people...actually a lot of people...in this world who would KILL to be able to do what some of us do for a living: be creative. There's lots of folks out there who just want to shoot weddings but are stuck behind a desk or with kids at home or whatever. There's a reason why we're called "starving artists" and it's because most can't make a go at a successful business.

Instead of being positive and thankful, some photographers choose to bitch and moan about every little thing they see at weddings. I see countless threads here and other places where people have this mentality of "How dare you ask me for a photo" or "How dare you suggest a place to take photos."

And you know what....who gives a shit?

You have a nice camera and a fancy hipster leather strap that makes you think you deserve some special treatment? Maybe you should have an assistant carry a sign that reads "Don't talk to the artist while they're working."

Take the photo....give it to the venue, make them happy and maybe book some extra business that didn't cost you a dime. If not...smile and move on. No need to be all pissy because someone thought they were helping.

Aug 05, 2015 at 12:46 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Venue Photos

I don't disagree with anything you said, Ron. In fact I wholeheartedly agree with most of what you said.

It does happen that some people need to vent to be able to manage their stress and emotions. It's a simple professional courtesy to let colleagues vent when they feel the need to, so long they aren't being obnoxious about it, which Richard wasn't.

I understand where you're coming from, antagonizing him just isn't going to lead to any positive changes. It won't change Richard's behavior or need to vent if he feels pissed off. It creates resentment for nothing. When people annoy me on FB, I unfollow/ignore them. What good is trolling them going to do except make me feel better for a couple of minutes?

I get you with the pompous and arrogant photogs. It annoys the shit out of me too. Just this week in the People Photography forum, I had to duke it out with a few guys who had their head so far up their ass they eat and shit in different time zones.

I just don't think Richard is one one those as his post felt mostly tongue in cheek to me.

Either way, your words would have had more impact if you had opened up with that last post though, instead of what you did (which was trolling, who are you kidding).

Aug 05, 2015 at 02:07 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Venue Photos

This is simply a lack of SUCCESSFUL communication.

Sure, you've told them all that stuff, but did they listen? No.

I'm willing to bet you did not even explain it to the degree that you did here. That's the problem. If you don't sit down and explain WHY you need them to stop making the suggestions they are, it will never happen.

I've had this in the past, and I simply took a weekday afternoon to stop by and talk to the venue owner. We walked through the venue, and I explained how I think and what I would normally do at that venue to capture amazing images. I then showed them results and why I did things the way I do.

Once the owner understood and saw results, it was never a problem again. They had confidence in me at that point. I actually received a lot more referrals from that venue.

It sounds like you're coming in, doing what you want, and telling them not to worry about it. That is the wrong approach. They will assume you don't know what you are doing, unless you physically walk them through and show them. Once you do, this will stop.

Never discount the "grand stairway" shot. Most venue owners are correct about that. I have one major one here that I must always shoot, because they are dead right about the bride wanting that shot. Do I hate it? Yup, but I do it anyway.

Aug 05, 2015 at 02:10 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Venue Photos

rondphoto wrote:
And you know what....who gives a shit? .

Next time you have a chip on your shoulder, feel free to take it elsewhere, don't waste your time plaguing a perfectly reasonable discussion (about communication and venue management).

There is a reason I've always hidden you as a member on here, it's a shame there isn't a delete. I'll just remember not to 'unhide' you in the future, as your input is always almost little juvenile pokes at people, just not something I care to read.

Best of luck.

Aug 11, 2015 at 08:47 AM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Venue Photos

ricardovaste wrote:
Next time you have a chip on your shoulder, feel free to take it elsewhere, don't waste your time plaguing a perfectly reasonable discussion (about communication and venue management).

There is a reason I've always hidden you as a member on here, it's a shame there isn't a delete. I'll just remember not to 'unhide' you in the future, as your input is always almost little juvenile pokes at people, just not something I care to read.

Best of luck.

Wait...you're the one complaining about people at a venue suggesting where to take photos and I'm the one with the chip on my shoulder?

Aug 11, 2015 at 12:10 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.