Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · My Photo's look kinda dull after post, I want them to really pop....

amiletich

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My Photo's look kinda dull after post, I want them to really pop....

I am not very experienced with working with Lightroom and post. So far I have been playing with the sliders and making the photo's look better to the eye, doing some selective color enhancements, etc, but I feel like they still lack that crystal clear sharpness and pop I want them to have. I know it could be the image itself, it could be the colors in the photo, etc, but does anyone have any good tips or beginner ways to do this or to improve? I know the big trend right now is the washed out or muted VSCO filters, but I really would like to get photo's that look like these.....

And here is a few of mine.....

Appreciate all the help and feedback.....

Aug 04, 2015 at 06:31 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My Photo's look kinda dull after post, I want them to really pop....

1st off , is you monitor calibrated ?

next what version of LR ? (reason for that in a bit)

now I will say that on my crappy work screen your images look ok . maybe a touch with the clarity and vibrance sliders on a couple would help .

in my workflow I tend to hit AUTO first of all to see if those settings are a direction I want to go . alot of the time it is and this saves time .
I'll also change to picture style ( I like the camera ones rather than the adobe ones so I tend to choose Camera Standard or Camera Landscape).

the other thing I've started to do is go straight to the DEHAZE tool (CC only) as ive yet to see an image that hasnt benefited from a bit of it to start with

Aug 05, 2015 at 06:44 AM
ScooberJake
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My Photo's look kinda dull after post, I want them to really pop....

Rather than showing what you want, you might get more feedback if you show what you typically produce and ask how to improve.

I'm no expert, but I would say the best tool for getting images to pop is to master the curves tool. "Pop" to me is contrast, and curves are all about controlling contrast.

Aug 12, 2015 at 05:26 PM
tdlavigne
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My Photo's look kinda dull after post, I want them to really pop....

Quality of light is important, the photos of Rachel are mostly with direct sunlight, and probably shot with a nice contrasty lens. Then there's the decent amount of post that goes into most fashion photography (very few LA/SD photographers are light-handed in post). Last but not least, the use of color within the composition helps. Look at the wardrobe, the accessories, the locations (good ex. would be that blue wall, or the ice cream truck...and especially their bikinis). Flat/muted colors (whites, greys, tans) aren't really going to "pop" as much as something bright enough to burn your retinas

Your first and third photo seem pretty close to me, but that bikini doesn't really set you up for what you want to accomplish (too plain).

Aug 12, 2015 at 11:07 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My Photo's look kinda dull after post, I want them to really pop....

As mentioned, there is a degree that is rooted in contrast (which comes in various forms).

Took a stab at a few tweaks.

Aug 13, 2015 at 02:50 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.