New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Experience with Canon CPS Repairs

Walter S
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Experience with Canon CPS Repairs

My 70-200 F2.8L IS II recently developed some autofocus issues. I have to twist the focus ring to get "focus confirmation", which leads me to believe that the motor is going bad. I sent the lens into Canon and was quoted $733 to fix, including CPS Gold discount. This seems quite high to me for a problem such as this. Has anyone else had this problem with their 70-200 or similar lens and what was the cost to fix? Thanks

Aug 04, 2015 at 12:44 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Experience with Canon CPS Repairs

I had a 70-200 non-IS that would not AF on its own, but manually focusing did give me the focus confirmation. Canon replaced the USM system, and that was less than $300 with the Gold discount. This was about 2 years ago, so the discount was a bit higher then, but $700 seems way out of line.

Mark

Aug 04, 2015 at 08:11 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Experience with Canon CPS Repairs

Your main options would be to speak with the technician who will perform the repair, or say no and send it to a 3rd party.
I had my 400DO front element replaced a while back. The tech called me about pricing since it would be expensive. I noted that since the front element could be replaced by itself instead of the larger unit she proposed, it could be much cheaper. She found the part and I had a much cheaper repair.

Aug 04, 2015 at 10:07 AM
Walter S
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Experience with Canon CPS Repairs

Canon got back to me and said "We have looked further into the repair and see that the main focusing barrel assembly needs to be replaced. This is the main factor contributing to the repair cost. Since the 20% discount from your Gold CPS membership has been applied, we are unable to discount the repair further." Pretty crappy, but starting to think I'm just going to have to agree to it.

Aug 04, 2015 at 04:28 PM
qc_mountain
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Experience with Canon CPS Repairs

If the focusing barrel need's to be changed , the lens might have been dropped that is why it ain't focusing the lens assembly is sticking inside the barrel.

Francois

Aug 04, 2015 at 05:16 PM
Walter S
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Experience with Canon CPS Repairs

qc_mountain wrote:
If the focusing barrel need's to be changed , the lens might have been dropped that is why it ain't focusing the lens assembly is sticking inside the barrel.

Francois

Valid point had it been dropped, but i've owned it since day one and it has not.

Aug 04, 2015 at 05:26 PM
qc_mountain
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Experience with Canon CPS Repairs

I think sometimes it is random bad luck , dropped my 70-200 F2.8L IS II.... 2 times and it is still working i guess im very lucky.

Francois

Aug 04, 2015 at 06:33 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Experience with Canon CPS Repairs

I would get a free estimate from this gentleman:
T F Camera Repair
27 Brunswick Woods Drive
East Brunswick, NJ 08816-5601
(732) 238-8806

Aug 04, 2015 at 07:17 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.