FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Your thoughts on Puget Systems or other recommended vendors

nolaguy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Your thoughts on Puget Systems or other recommended vendors

Hey guys,

Sort of piggy backing on Joel's thread on a new PC build: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1379145 and Barclay's reference to Puget Systems: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Lightroom-CC-6-CPU-Multi-threading-Performance-649/#Conclusion.... do any of you have experience with Puget Systems or recommendations for other premium PC companies (which I assume Puget is?)?

I want to settle in with a quality-oriented company for my hardware needs that provides a better than average product and will serve as a good consulting resource for all things computer. I don't want to throw money away, but I do expect to pay a reasonable premium for top-flight gear and service.

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

Aug 03, 2015 at 07:12 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Your thoughts on Puget Systems or other recommended vendors

I'm not familiar with Puget. If I was spending on a high end builder it would probably be Falcon.

https://www.falcon-nw.com/

If you ever have questions you know where to find me Chuck

Aug 03, 2015 at 07:18 PM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Your thoughts on Puget Systems or other recommended vendors

I bought from AVA Direct. I had already chosen most of the components beforehand and Joe at AVA helped me round out the list while meeting my performance goals and budget.

Aug 03, 2015 at 07:34 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Your thoughts on Puget Systems or other recommended vendors

You're a good guy, Francis. Thanks buddy.

Aug 03, 2015 at 07:35 PM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Your thoughts on Puget Systems or other recommended vendors

I bought a Win7 desktop from Puget in January. Very satisfied with both the hardware and the company. Good hand holding during the config process. I asked for some customizations on the Win7 install and they did it all. Good support after the fact, and I've had a few questions.

Last week I received an unsolicited e-mail from them offering a free "check up". A remote diagnostic looking for malware, driver updates, storage and memory usage.

At the time of purchase I calculated that it cost me about a 30% premium for them to build the system. That's 30% over the cost of all the components if bought from various vendors and assembled DIY. Well worth if for me.

I do have a strange performance issue with Photoshop ACR. Versions 8.7 thru 9.1 are much slower than 8.6. While Puget has listened to my issue they have not shown much Photoshop expertise.

Aug 03, 2015 at 08:29 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Your thoughts on Puget Systems or other recommended vendors

Howard, Red, thanks very much for your input - and Red, I appreciate the insights into Puget. Very helpful.

Regards,

Chuck

Aug 03, 2015 at 10:28 PM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Your thoughts on Puget Systems or other recommended vendors

Just a side note... the Puget system I bought last January replaced a 5 year old "I5" based system. So it had been 5 years since I paid much attention to technology. With the old system I had minor problems with overheating and dust, plus the fans were kind of noisy.

So I ordered Pugent's "Serenity" system with the Fractal Define R4 case. When the system came I opened it up to look inside and was shocked. It was mostly empty! The case is huge and has tons of room for expansion. I had trouble finding the system drive because it was my first SSD, about the size of a half deck of playing cards, mounted in the back of a full sized disk bay. Same silver metal as the bay, so it kind of disappears in there.

And the Pugent claim of silent operation is well founded. It's under my desk and I sit right on top of it. Can't hear a thing. If it wasn't for the LED on the power button I wouldn't know if it's on or off.

Aug 04, 2015 at 12:16 AM
Robert Snow
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Your thoughts on Puget Systems or other recommended vendors

I would certainly ditto AVA. I bought a system from them a couple of years back, and submitted the order...an hour later got an email questioning my choice of some parts of the system...not heavy enough for the cpu. With their help, I put together a kick-ass 64 bit system that has been running without problems since.

AVA....Yea!

bob snow

Aug 04, 2015 at 10:27 AM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Your thoughts on Puget Systems or other recommended vendors

Have a Puget system up and running at a client site. Bought it about 4 years ago and she runs like a champ. Needed an odd config in an odd case for an odd reason, they were great to work with, and built a solid box. I'd be more than happy to use them again.

Peace,

Todd

Aug 04, 2015 at 10:45 AM
Abuttolph
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Your thoughts on Puget Systems or other recommended vendors

I also have a Puget Systems that I purchased about a year and a half ago. Puget Systems is the absolute best computer and best computer company that I have ever dealt with (and I have a long history of purchasing high-end custom computers). The system that I purchased was designed to be quiet, and it is definitely quiet. They do a great job of keeping fan noise down. Customer service is superb all the way from configuration and after purchase. They won't try to sell you something that you don't want or need. Their aim is to help you get a computer that suits your needs. The system that I have is incredibly well built. The case is quite large and has a lot of empty space, which helps with air flow.

You pay a higher cost up front for their computers, but they really pay for themselves in terms of reliability and performance, not to mention the stellar customer service that Puget Systems provides.

Aug 04, 2015 at 11:52 AM
Abuttolph
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Your thoughts on Puget Systems or other recommended vendors

One other note. Puget Systems contacted me a few months ago asking about how my computer performs with Lightroom and how performance could be improved. They are apparently working on systems configured for photography. The computer that I purchased from them works fine for photo work with LR and PS, but was not configured specifically for photo software.

Aug 04, 2015 at 12:00 PM
Brigadier

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Your thoughts on Puget Systems or other recommended vendors

Building your own system can be fun and rewarding. It takes some research to pick the components, but after you do that, you understand how the computer works better. My son and I built him a gaming system for his HS graduation present. I picked out the components, ordered them, then we assembled them together. It was pretty easy, especially given all the how to videos on Youtube if you have any questions. All in all I paid $1500 without monitor for a kickass gaming system that plays any and all online games at full frame rates and max resolution, over wifi too. It doesn't even get hot when working hard.

This is a great resource to price out and check the hardware compatibility of the components you chose: http://pcpartpicker.com/

I understand wanting to buy a ready made system, and I almost went that direction, but the assembling of the system was half the fun. YMMV.

For photo processing, I would recommend and i7 processor, 16GB RAM, an 120 GB SSDD for the OS, and at least 2 each 1TB 7200 RPM HDD for storage. A video card with 2GB RAM on board won't hurt either.

Aug 04, 2015 at 03:45 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Your thoughts on Puget Systems or other recommended vendors

Robert, Todd, Adele, Brigadier - thanks very much for taking the time to share your thoughts. All your comments are very helpful... I appreciate it.

Regards,

Chuck

Aug 04, 2015 at 04:52 PM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Your thoughts on Puget Systems or other recommended vendors

One thing that helped seal the deal for me with AVA vs Puget was shipping cost. Puget's system was more expensive by a bit but their shipping was more expensive by a mile. I live a lot closer to AVA but the difference in cost still seemed excessive.

Aug 04, 2015 at 05:29 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Your thoughts on Puget Systems or other recommended vendors

Ho1972 wrote:
One thing that helped seal the deal for me with AVA vs Puget was shipping cost. Puget's system was more expensive by a bit but their shipping was more expensive by a mile. I live a lot closer to AVA but the difference in cost still seemed excessive.

I believe that Puget uses custom shipping cartons for most of their computers. That probably explains part, if not all, of the difference.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/packing.php

Aug 05, 2015 at 02:14 PM
Sodonn
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Your thoughts on Puget Systems or other recommended vendors

I have a puget system. One of the best purchases I have ever made in regards to a custom PC and their customer service is top notch.

Aug 05, 2015 at 03:59 PM
Sodonn
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Your thoughts on Puget Systems or other recommended vendors

Here is a video tour they did of my system before sending it out. At the time they were toying with the idea of doing this for each system.

Aug 05, 2015 at 04:06 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Your thoughts on Puget Systems or other recommended vendors

I have looked at Puget in the past out of curiosity. The truth is, they (and all builders for that matter) aren't really doing anything you cannot do yourself, and save at least a few hundred bucks doing so in the process. I have considered just buying off the shelf many times, but always just end up doing it myself for that very reason. It's really not that hard to slap these machines together.

Aug 05, 2015 at 04:11 PM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Your thoughts on Puget Systems or other recommended vendors

amonline wrote:
It's really not that hard to slap these machines together.

And maybe some people never tire of doing so. After numerous builds, I did.

It was nice unpacking a machine that was ready to rock: burned in/stress tested, free of driver issues and other hiccups that often plague new builds. The warranty was the icing on the cake.

Aug 05, 2015 at 04:46 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Your thoughts on Puget Systems or other recommended vendors

Ho1972 wrote:
It was nice unpacking a machine that was ready to rock: burned in/stress tested, free of driver issues and other hiccups that often plague new builds. The warranty was the icing on the cake.

Well, no argument from me, but I've just never had such a problem in the couple of decades I've been doing it now. Of course, I take great care in the selection of my components. A lot of those points mentioned are little more than marketing tactics to breed faux security. Anything can fail, and pretty everything carries a warranty... even when you build yourself.

I could wait weeks on custom ordering, or I can build it in a few days, save money, and get better options. I stopped stressing builds years ago too. There's just no need any more. You know what you get by the components you buy; not by trying to burn them up.

I'm not discounting your opinion. Just saying that the other side of the fence isn't really like it was 20 years ago. In most cases, building companies do not offer the latest and greatest as a matter of keeping costs down. I prefer to spend that little extra on what they don't offer, and achieve results that last longer.

That's just me.

Aug 05, 2015 at 05:09 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.