New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Nikon 600 FL Arca Foot

Tillman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon 600 FL Arca Foot

Receiving my new 600mm FL Thursday. Pick up a lens coat and all.

I cannot find an Arca-Swiss replacement foot.

Wimberly says 9 months for a product offering, which I find ridiculous.

Has anyone had luck replacing feet on the new FL lens with Arca-Swiss options?

Aug 03, 2015 at 04:29 PM
John Webb
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon 600 FL Arca Foot

Have you tried Kirk Enterprises or Really Right Stuff?

Aug 03, 2015 at 04:42 PM
RoyC
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon 600 FL Arca Foot

The AS foot for both the 800 E and 400 E are the same from RRS and Wimberley, and RRS reportedly has stated that they have not had an opportunity to see if their 400/800 replacement foot will fit either the 500 E or 600 E lenses. While Nikon could have designed a different mounting surface or foot length for the new lenses, one would wonder way. Common parts are cheaper for Nikon and they do not sell AS feet either.

You could roll the dice and try and existing 400/800 foot or just go with an AS plate for a few months.

Aug 03, 2015 at 05:25 PM
Tillman
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon 600 FL Arca Foot

Neither have yet responded to my email.

Aug 03, 2015 at 05:37 PM
Quickeye
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon 600 FL Arca Foot

I just received a Hejnar plate today, excellent quality and fits my RRS lever clamp perfectly. It's a one man operation and even does custom work. Check them out.

http://www.hejnarphotostore.com/

Terry

PS ordered the plate friday night and got it this afternoon.

Aug 03, 2015 at 06:01 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon 600 FL Arca Foot

Tillman wrote:
Neither have yet responded to my email.

email? try the phone they might respond a little quicker.

Aug 03, 2015 at 06:07 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon 600 FL Arca Foot

Congrats on your new lens !

I think this is the supertele lens I have been waiting for…..the 600 f4 FL

You have to give us your review after you have had it for a while. I want to know if you hand held it much.

All of these new FL Nikkors are exciting.

Robert

Aug 03, 2015 at 06:32 PM
Tillman
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon 600 FL Arca Foot

Thanks for the tips. All parties say months until they produce units for sale.

Therefore it appears the only option is to screw an attachment plate to the foot. Not so happy about that.

Thanks on the kind words. Will post samples next week.

Aug 03, 2015 at 09:28 PM
marc2307
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon 600 FL Arca Foot

This may help,

My Kirk LP-47 foot fits perfectly(inc hood reversal) on my newly purchased Nikkor 400 f/2.8E and previously fitted perfectly on my 500 f/4G VR
and my (now sold) 200-400 f/4 VR.

Also for the cost of nearly just a plate you could purchase the Benro LP85K foot here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271332516963?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And have heard that it also fits the 400E perfectly as well.......just an alternate solution perhaps?

Cheers
Marc

Aug 04, 2015 at 09:26 AM
pw-pix
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon 600 FL Arca Foot

Hejnar seem fine, I bought their plate for my Mamiya RZ67 and it seems to fit similarly to the Kirk plates I have in my clamps.

Aug 04, 2015 at 06:10 PM
Bill Graham
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon 600 FL Arca Foot

Tillman wrote:
Thanks for the tips. All parties say months until they produce units for sale.

Therefore it appears the only option is to screw an attachment plate to the foot. Not so happy about that.

Thanks on the kind words. Will post samples next week.

Considering that Kirk, RRS and Wimberly don't get design specs or advance copies of new lenses from Nikon and have to wait for them to be available on the open market so they can measure the lens and foot, design a replacement that will balance and then slot it into the manufacturing schedule I'd say a month or so to wait for a replacement foot is reasonable. I'm sorry to hear you're "not so happy" with the third-party manufacturers but early adopters pay a price.

Why aren't you "not so happy" with Nikon for not milling a couple of v-grooves into the foot that came with the lens? The Arca-Swiss plate dimensions have been around for 50 years or so, is it unreasonable to expect that your new $12K lens comes with a foot that you could use out of the box? Or that Nikon would spend $600 for a Wimberly head, mount a D4s on the back of their new $12,000 lens and design a foot that would mount and balance with that combination?

I can't speak for you but I'm long past freaking fed up with shelling out 5 figures for lenses and having to go to third-party suppliers to get them to mount on my tripod or to be able to carry them around or even have a decent lens cap that doesn't take a minute of fumbling with to get it off or put it back on. Does anyone at Nikon ever shoot with these high-dollar lenses in the field? I can't tell.

Rant over, apologies in advance...

Aug 04, 2015 at 06:48 PM
Tillman
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon 600 FL Arca Foot

I agree that the big teles should come with AS feet. I have never seen a big tele with anything other than an AS foot. I image Nikon uses them as well.

That all being said, I want to shoot my new lens with an AS foot. Sadly I have spoke all the big names, and the ones suggested here. Seems I am getting my lens prior to any of them. None have specifications, all say 6 months to develop a product.

RRS instructed me as to which rail will accommodate the new 600mm. I shelled out $70 for that as an interim solution. I don't like it as it will not hold well with the foot and attached plate in my hand. However there is no other solution to utilize my several AS mounts.

Aug 05, 2015 at 12:54 PM
alanwilder
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon 600 FL Arca Foot

I'll save you some time, if using a DX body or lightweight FX body like a D750, order the Wimberley P-50 lens plate because it's 6.58" length allows plenty of room for optimal center of gravity placement when attached to the Nikon triple threaded tripod handle. If using a heavier body like a D3, D4 or D5, there are no balance issue if swapping out the tripod handle for a replacement footplate like the Wimberley AP-452 or AP-554. Both fit great on the lens but on lighter cameras, the lens with hood is front heavy causing it to tip downward unless the controls are locked. Both the P-50 or AP-452, 554 have arca swiss grooves and safety stops at either end.

Sep 10, 2015 at 04:41 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.