New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · HARD CASE FOR CHUBBY

boshek
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HARD CASE FOR CHUBBY

I have the original case but I'd like a hard case for travel and storage for my 200mm VR1 f2 chubby, any ideas?? ty

Aug 03, 2015 at 06:37 AM
RoyC
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HARD CASE FOR CHUBBY

First I do not think there is a custom hard case available, you could select a Pelican with customizing foam. Second what are your concerns about using a soft/supplied case. I have the hard cases for my 400mm and 800mm sitting on the shelve and they have not been used since the day I unpacked the lenses. Tamrac and Think Tank soft cases are all I use when traveling within the US.

Edited on Aug 03, 2015 at 12:46 PM · View previous versions

Aug 03, 2015 at 06:44 AM
boshek
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HARD CASE FOR CHUBBY

RoyC wrote:
First I do think there is a custom hard case available, you could select a Pelican with customizing foam. Second what are your concerns about using a soft/supplied case. I have the hard cases for my 400mm and 800mm sitting on the shelve and they have not been used since the day I unpacked the lenses. Tamrac and Think Tank soft cases are all I use when traveling within the US.

one of my main issues is when the lens is stored in a closet I share with my daughter and her toys!!! I'd feel better if it was in a hard case on the floor

Aug 03, 2015 at 09:44 AM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HARD CASE FOR CHUBBY

I have traveled with the Nikon hard case for the 500/f4 and shortly after I bought a soft case for travel.

Maybe there are hard cases that are NOT a pain to carry...

Aug 03, 2015 at 10:03 AM
RoyC
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HARD CASE FOR CHUBBY

boshek wrote:
one of my main issues is when the lens is stored in a closet I share with my daughter and her toys!!! I'd feel better if it was in a hard case on the floor

Then I would look at one of these to hold your lens, camera and extras.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/330231-REG/Pelican_1510_000_110_1510_Carry_On_Case.html

Aug 03, 2015 at 12:51 PM
RexGig0
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · HARD CASE FOR CHUBBY

The Pelican 1510, just mentioned by RoyC, is large enough to serve as a low bench, or work as a field-expedient work table, yet small enough to have met airline carry-on dimensions at the time it was first marketed. (I am not sure about today's maximum carry-on size.) My wife found the 1510 a bit too large for her on-duty photo gear, so she gave it to me. It can hold two pro DSLR bodies, with the smaller two of the f/2.8 pro zoom "trinity" lenses mounted, and still have room for much more stuff. (I do not own a pro f/2.8 70-200mm to use for size reference.) It has two replaceable wheels, and an extendable handle at the other end.

The 1510 will be larger than necessary for storing a 200/2G, of course, but its usefulness for transporting more than just the lens makes it worth consideration. As with any sealed case, do use a desiccant pack for long-term storage!

I liked my first 1510 enough that when a pre-owned 1510 recently appeared at Houston Camera Exchange, I bought it. I would rather have two 1510 cases than one larger wheeled Pelican case; I believe that I would rather that anything larger than a 1510 be a soft case.

Aug 03, 2015 at 07:00 PM
Dale Kirchhofer
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · HARD CASE FOR CHUBBY

The Nikon CT-F1 would work although its made for larger lenses and is $319.00. I did a Google search for "hard case for microscope" and came up with a couple options.

http://www.amazon.com/Reichert-Jung-Hard-Sided-Microscope-Case/dp/B00NLNTMGQ

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/medical-lab/laboratory-equipment/laboratory-microscopes/amscope-microscope-storage-case-b400a-b490a-t400a-t490a?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CNetgajJj8cCFZCCaQodZcUBxA

dale

Aug 04, 2015 at 08:52 AM
Next39
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · HARD CASE FOR CHUBBY

1510 is a nice size case. I have both my 200/2 and 300/2.8 stored in one, so plenty of room for just a 200/2.

If you want a custom case/storage, check out http://www.caseman.com/ I've talked to them on several occasions about custom solutions for my video gear, and had a great experience.

Aug 04, 2015 at 12:38 PM
Derek Weston
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · HARD CASE FOR CHUBBY

what is, a cod piece

Aug 04, 2015 at 05:16 PM
jasoncallen
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · HARD CASE FOR CHUBBY

I'd go with the Pelican 1514 version of the 1510 if you want to store other goodies with your 200mm f/2. Otherwise go with the plucked foam and custom-fit it so it's nice and cozy!

I use one of my 1514 cases to cart around my Profoto B1 strobe, batteries, chargers, spare clamps, clothespins, gels, PocketWizard III triggers, and any extraneous junk that I need on set. It takes a beating on the mean streets of NYC - the wheels especially on craggy sidewalks and rough asphalt, and it protects the gear well! I've never felt the gear was at risk in the case, as long as the whole case itself isn't dropped, and even then, it'd take a hell of a hit if your gear is well packed and has no room to shift around inside the case.

I have a second one that I use as storage at home for my photo/video DSLR camera bodies, batteries, chargers, smaller prime and zoom lenses, and even a 4x6.5" Chrosziel matte box, filters, and a follow focus.

The padding is generous, the case voluminous for chunky chubby things like 200/2 and 300/2.8 lenses, it's wheeled, and it's carry-on friendly on most domestic and international aircraft. Also: lockable if you don't want to risk your kid opening the case/spilling the $$$Expensive contents onto the floor

Hope this helps...

Aug 04, 2015 at 11:10 PM
wjlapier
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · HARD CASE FOR CHUBBY

The 200/2 AFS fits in the older Canon hard case for their 200/2. The one that stands up tall not on it's side. Looks like an anvil case. I have the case and kept the lens in it when in the closet between sports seasons. I still have the case but have sold the lens a while back.

Aug 08, 2015 at 10:06 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · HARD CASE FOR CHUBBY

I had no idea there was such a case for 200/2 IS. The few I've seen were the horizontal rounded style trunk case. The old 200/1.8 had the upright old-fashioned trunk style case.

EBH

Aug 09, 2015 at 12:35 AM
wjlapier
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · HARD CASE FOR CHUBBY

EB-1 wrote:
I had no idea there was such a case for 200/2 IS. The few I've seen were the horizontal rounded style trunk case. The old 200/1.8 had the upright old-fashioned trunk style case.

EBH

My mistake. It is the 1.8. For some reason I also still have the leather front cap.

Aug 09, 2015 at 09:13 AM
MichGoBlue
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · HARD CASE FOR CHUBBY

Another vote for the Pelican 1514. I use that to store lenses in my office as well as when I travel. My travel kit was a 300 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 24-70 2.8, TC, and two bodies. It's was a snug fit but I liked that it fit in the overhead of the plane as well as could be gate checked in a pinch (never had to though). Be careful of planes with carry-on weight restrictions though - fully loaded it was pushing 40lbs.

It also doubles as a decent field chair when standing on end. I would not stand on it laying flat though just in case.

Aug 09, 2015 at 01:27 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.