New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · New Kenko Teleplus "HD" 1.4X/2.0X

cgarcia
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Kenko Teleplus "HD" 1.4X/2.0X

I was planning to pick the 1.4 MC4 (for the good reviews, and for its low weight) when I stumbled upon a new "HD" model.

Does anybody know how the new HD model performs compared to the MC4?. The MC4 1.4X had 4 elements / groups, but the new HD version has 3 elements in 2 groups.

The Kenko page talks about improved resolution compared to the MC4 model as well as EF-S support. Some news report them as "EXIF improved" related to the previous version (a previous HD or the MC4 models?) but it seems that it already had EXIF support. All reviews on the Internet are related to the MC4 model, I have not been able to find more independent information, even googling in Japanese/Chinese :-).

A "resolution comparison" likely from the manufacturer:

dc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/dcw/docs/667/720/html/04.jpg.html

Official web:

www.kenkoglobal.com/photo/lens_accessories/teleplus/teleplus_hd_dgx_14x_canon.html

The new HD model is in stock at least in several european countries (Amazon Spain) but nobody seems to have bought one.

Aug 02, 2015 at 03:38 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Kenko Teleplus "HD" 1.4X/2.0X

Go ahead - someone has to be first ~ Ron

Aug 02, 2015 at 07:46 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Kenko Teleplus "HD" 1.4X/2.0X

Only three elements and 150% resolution? Are they aspheric and made of unobtainium glass?

They TCs look cheap and have no rubber seals to prevent water ingress.
I'm not risking a big tele on that.

EBH

Aug 02, 2015 at 08:00 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Kenko Teleplus "HD" 1.4X/2.0X

I've got an old MC4 here - bought for the sole purpose of obtaining autofocus at f/8. Modestly priced, modest IQ, and modestly useful.

Aug 02, 2015 at 08:08 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Kenko Teleplus "HD" 1.4X/2.0X

current Pro 300 DGX is more or less a match for the 1.4x III optically. The MC4 DGX current isn't far off at all in the center, very, very close, only out in FF edges is it noticeably worse and it's more like the 1.4x II out there, if.

the current DGX are the only ones that allow full normal AF when used with 5D3+70-300L pairing
OTOH they sometimes crash out other combos (like 5D3+300 2.8 IS Mark Original)

don't know anything about this new one, if they are really 50% better optically center frame than the MC4 DGX then this would be easily the best TC, optically, ever, by far, seems a little hard to believe a 50% improvement

Aug 02, 2015 at 08:48 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New Kenko Teleplus "HD" 1.4X/2.0X

Hmm looks like that test image is from near corner on FF so maybe the 50% better only refers to there. The current MC4 DGX is a bit soft there. So maybe this means even the MC4 is now as good as the pro 300 and 1.4x III in the FF edges/corners, if not a touch better out there even? I'd be surprised if they pulled off 50% better anywhere near the center.

Aug 02, 2015 at 08:50 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New Kenko Teleplus "HD" 1.4X/2.0X

skibum5 wrote:
Hmm looks like that test image is from near corner on FF so maybe the 50% better only refers to there. The current MC4 DGX is a bit soft there. So maybe this means even the MC4 is now as good as the pro 300 and 1.4x III in the FF edges/corners, if not a touch better out there even? I'd be surprised if they pulled off 50% better anywhere near the center.

Yeah, that must be it. There just isn't another 50% to be had in the center unless the MC4 is really bad. How much extra would it have cost to add the rubber rings to keep the water out?

EBH

Aug 02, 2015 at 09:45 PM
cgarcia
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New Kenko Teleplus "HD" 1.4X/2.0X

skibum5 wrote:
current Pro 300 DGX is more or less a match for the 1.4x III optically. The MC4 DGX current isn't far off at all in the center, very, very close, only out in FF edges is it noticeably worse and it's more like the 1.4x II out there, if.

the current DGX are the only ones that allow full normal AF when used with 5D3+70-300L pairing
OTOH they sometimes crash out other combos (like 5D3+300 2.8 IS Mark Original)

don't know anything about this new one, if they are really 50% better optically center frame than the MC4 DGX then this would be
...Show more

I read somewhere that the Pro DGX is better at tele but the MC4 outperforms it at wide angle. I don't know how much truth is there. This popular comparison also gives and edge to the cheaper model (in fact places it at the ranklist top):

http://www.traumflieger.de/objektivtest/open_test/telekonverter/overview.php

Granted that the most common use case are long lenses, but I plain to use it only to turn the 24 TS-E into 35mm, in case that combo works (the Canon 1.4x III is known to work, despite oficially not listed, but would add a lot more weight, and is white :-)

Many people find the new Kenko design less sophisticate... curiously both have exactly the same weight (110g the 1.4X). Maybe there is an error in the Kenko specs page.

Aug 03, 2015 at 03:39 PM
cgarcia
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New Kenko Teleplus "HD" 1.4X/2.0X

EB-1 wrote:
Yeah, that must be it. There just isn't another 50% to be had in the center unless the MC4 is really bad. How much extra would it have cost to add the rubber rings to keep the water out?

EBH

Yes, it's a pity. After all, they are charging about EUR 190 for the new 1.4X model (the previous MC4 in the same shop is about EUR 120).

Aug 03, 2015 at 03:45 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New Kenko Teleplus "HD" 1.4X/2.0X

Why not get their top of the line model, its way cheaper. On Amazon, the pro 300 DGX 1.4X goes for $130 versus $169 for the bottom of the line model.

http://www.amazon.com/Kenko-1-4X-Teleconverter-Nikon-Digital/dp/B002C6QE00/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438644165&sr=8-1&keywords=pro+300+dgx

Aug 03, 2015 at 06:23 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.