New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2015 · A7RII S35 4k low light footage looks amazing

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A7RII S35 4k low light footage looks amazing

The A7RII S35 crop mode high iso performance seems close to a7s in lowlight. That's a big WOW!
I can see a lot of A7S bodies on Ebay after this video.

I believe that the reference to silence shutter resolution not been reduced to 12bits is incorrect though.

Commentary from Davide Roveri

Aug 01, 2015 at 09:39 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A7RII S35 4k low light footage looks amazing

Agreed a huge WOW. It vindicates my decision to convert my A7R and A7S to the A7Rii.
Sadly/ironically I'll probably never shoot more than an hour of video with it in its lifetime with me UNLESS a PlayMemories app comes along that will allow 4K Photo like in the Lumix GH4 and other Pana bodies. Then I'll shoot video with the intent to harvest.

Edited on Aug 01, 2015 at 10:15 PM · View previous versions

Aug 01, 2015 at 10:07 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A7RII S35 4k low light footage looks amazing

Awesome test, thanks for the link. Would have loved to see a comparison of the A7s vs A7rII @ 1080.

Aug 01, 2015 at 10:12 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A7RII S35 4k low light footage looks amazing

snapsy wrote:
Awesome test, thanks for the link. Would have loved to see a comparison of the A7s vs A7rII @ 1080.

From my own tests, the A7S was quite noisier at 4k than 1080p at higher ISOs. (At least when using a previous Atomos firmware version I tested)
Also S-Log-2 is noisier in low light when compared to the other presets.

Aug 01, 2015 at 11:08 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A7RII S35 4k low light footage looks amazing

Fred Miranda wrote:
From my own tests, the A7S was quite noisier at 4k than 1080p at higher ISOs. (At least when using a previous Atomos firmware version I tested)
Also S-Log-2 is noisier in low light when compared to the other presets.

That's to be expected because with 4x the pixels of 4K vs 1080 there will be more noise per pixel. It's the equivalent of downsampling a High ISO still image to 8MP vs 2MP.

Aug 01, 2015 at 11:40 PM
jamato8
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A7RII S35 4k low light footage looks amazing

When using the electronic shutter the bit rate drops to 12.

Aug 01, 2015 at 11:45 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A7RII S35 4k low light footage looks amazing

snapsy wrote:
That's to be expected because with 4x the pixels of 4K vs 1080 there will be more noise per pixel. It's the equivalent of downsampling a High ISO still image to 8MP vs 2MP.

Yes that's right. This test would make the A7RII look even better if both were compared at 4k.

Aug 02, 2015 at 12:01 AM
bvphotos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A7RII S35 4k low light footage looks amazing

Can it boil eggs too? If not, I'm unimpressed.

Aug 02, 2015 at 05:31 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A7RII S35 4k low light footage looks amazing

It's a hell of a camera, that's for sure. I'm now dying to get a few solid first reviews... I want a more definitive view of AF with both native and Canon lenses.

Jordan, where are you!

Aug 02, 2015 at 05:46 AM
AJay
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A7RII S35 4k low light footage looks amazing

Wow. That is amazing. The A7RII in 4k, super 35 (cropped) mode beats the A7S in 1080p in low light conditions. I would have never thought that it could come close.

I've been on the fence about picking up this camera, but so far everything I am seeing is amazing.

Aug 02, 2015 at 06:38 AM
joychris
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A7RII S35 4k low light footage looks amazing

I would be nice to see more 4k footage, especially with 4k tests. His other video gives us a nice look at the picture profiles and its actually 4k (with the usual Youtube compression caveats):

Low light does look impressive, like others I'm buying into the A7RII to combine 4k video and high mp stills in one body. I'm shooting some tourism photos/videos in the fall, this camera will be a large part of those productions.

Wednesday can't come fast enough.

Aug 02, 2015 at 06:50 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A7RII S35 4k low light footage looks amazing

Cinema5D also advises us to sell our A7s cameras concluding the A7RII is "currently the best photo camera that shoots video in the market"

See review:
http://www.cinema5d.com/sony-a7rii-review-first-impressions-footage

Aug 02, 2015 at 11:52 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A7RII S35 4k low light footage looks amazing

Fred Miranda wrote:
Cinema5D also advises us to sell our A7s cameras concluding the A7RII is "currently the best photo camera that shoots video in the market"

See review:
http://www.cinema5d.com/sony-a7rii-review-first-impressions-footage

Might very well be true but I would generally advise anyone from making a purchase or selling decision based on Cinema5D's results - they've had some serious methodology issues in the past.

Btw, I read more of the video OP's comments and regarding 1080 he wrote:

"In the end i decided not to include the 1080 samples because they're quite bad, way worse then the both the 4K modes so it's definitely better to downscale when a 1080 output is required.".

This strikes me as odd. I wrote back asking if he meant "bad" in terms of detail or noise, and whether it was in FF or Super 35mm mode. Waiting for a reply.

Aug 02, 2015 at 12:01 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A7RII S35 4k low light footage looks amazing

snapsy wrote:
Might very well be true but I would generally advise anyone from making a purchase or selling decision based on Cinema5D's results - they've had some serious methodology issues in the past.

Btw, I read more of the video OP's comments and regarding 1080 he wrote:

"In the end i decided not to include the 1080 samples because they're quite bad, way worse then the both the 4K modes so it's definitely better to downscale when a 1080 output is required.".

This strikes me as odd. I wrote back asking if he meant "bad" in terms of detail or noise, and whether it
...Show more

Let us know if he answers.

Aug 02, 2015 at 12:05 PM
joychris
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A7RII S35 4k low light footage looks amazing

Cinema 5d's testing is questionable, but they're doing the same thing with each camera so you can draw some conclusions. Regardless, the DR looks very good, if it's in the A7s territory I'm happy. Mostly because I didn't have to cough up the cash for a Shogun.

Chris

Aug 02, 2015 at 01:04 PM
goto_dengo
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A7RII S35 4k low light footage looks amazing

One note: in the low light video test, Davide states that fully electronic ("silent") shutter mode no longer drops to 12-bit precision.

This is at odds with everything I've read, and in fact contradicts a snippet from the A7RII manual that someone posted either here or at DPR, which stated that bulb, continuous, and continuous bracket modes all drop to 12-bit precision as well (consistent with all previous A7* cameras.)

Also recall that as of now, A7RII RAW files are still lossy. It remains to be seen whether this will be remedied in a future firmware update.

Doesn't matter to a lot of folks, but I'm throwing it out there so that, for those who care, they research this further.

If this doesn't matter to you, congratulations. Please move along--this post was not for you

Edit: sorry, I see that Fred addressed the mistake in his very first post. I'll leave this here, regardless, because it's good information to have for potential buyers about to be swept up in the excitement.

Aug 02, 2015 at 02:05 PM
jamesrraj

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A7RII S35 4k low light footage looks amazing

And this comment from Andrew Reid of EOS HD:

https://www.cinema5d.com/sony-a7rii-review-first-impressions-footage/

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9gy5wGyjyv0/Vb5xrePFrnI/AAAAAAAAB7U/03MGksT8yAA/s800-Ic42/Andrew.jpg

Aug 02, 2015 at 02:40 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · A7RII S35 4k low light footage looks amazing

^is that Super 35mm with mechanical or electronic, or is that an appropriate question? My video knowledge really ends with a p-n-s Sony TX30

Aug 02, 2015 at 03:19 PM
mogul
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · A7RII S35 4k low light footage looks amazing

jamesrraj wrote:

And this comment from Andrew Reid of EOS HD:

https://www.cinema5d.com/sony-a7rii-review-first-impressions-footage/

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9gy5wGyjyv0/Vb5xrePFrnI/AAAAAAAAB7U/03MGksT8yAA/s800-Ic42/Andrew.jpg

ooo...a calling out.

High noon at the video corral

Aug 02, 2015 at 03:24 PM
AJay
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · A7RII S35 4k low light footage looks amazing

Has anyone heard of how well the a7rii auto-focuses with Canon lenses in VIDEO mode using the Metabones IV adapter? I remember reading somewhere that auto-focus in this scenario was not good, at least with the pre-production model.

Aug 02, 2015 at 04:09 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.