New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Adapt PCB reflectors to Profoto D1

Stuyou

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Adapt PCB reflectors to Profoto D1

Anyone ever do this? I have a beauty dish and several reflectors that I would love to adapt to Profoto, but I am not sure how to do it. Thoughts?

Aug 01, 2015 at 02:08 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Adapt PCB reflectors to Profoto D1

If the BD has a removable speedring you can use something like this. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/500380-REG/Interfit_ASA1013_Speed_Ring_Adapter_for.html

But not for standard reflectors. Personally my thoughts. Putting AB reflectors on a Profoto head is like putting mud and snow tires on a Ferrari.

Edited on Aug 01, 2015 at 11:48 PM · View previous versions

Aug 01, 2015 at 04:06 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Adapt PCB reflectors to Profoto D1

Gregg Heckler wrote:
Putting AB reflectors on a Profoto head is like putting mud and snow tires on a Ferrari.

Absolutely no offense to the OP intended but the only reason I opened the thread was the "No way... really?" factor.

Reality TV is so disorienting.

Aug 01, 2015 at 05:34 PM
Stuyou

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Adapt PCB reflectors to Profoto D1

OK, Profoto reflectors are stupid expensive and I cannot imagine they are worth the price. Everything I shoot now is with softboxes and I'm wanting to try adding some focused harder light to my images. I also want a telezoom style reflector for sports. I'm not about to spend $300 just to play when I have essentially the reflectors I want right now (I haven't sold them since switching to Profoto). After I play around and figure out exactly what I want then I may get some Elenchrom reflectors as they are adaptable to Profoto as they have their own versions of Profoto reflectors.

Aug 01, 2015 at 05:52 PM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Adapt PCB reflectors to Profoto D1

There are inexpensive modifiers that will work with Profoto. On eBay there is a beauty dish in the $120 range.

Aug 01, 2015 at 06:08 PM
neoshazam
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Adapt PCB reflectors to Profoto D1

2nd one down if you have any of the PCB foldable softboxes;

http://www.paulcbuff.com/speedrings.php

For the beauty dish I use;

https://www.fotodioxpro.com/fotodiox-pro-beauty-dish-28-kit-grid-white-interior.html

and the appropriate speedring.

Aug 01, 2015 at 10:06 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Adapt PCB reflectors to Profoto D1

"OK, Profoto reflectors are stupid expensive and I cannot imagine they are worth the price. Everything I shoot now is with softboxes and I'm wanting to try adding some focused harder light to my images. I also want a telezoom style reflector for sports. I'm not about to spend $300 just to play when I have essentially the reflectors I want right now (I haven't sold them since switching to Profoto). After I play around and figure out exactly what I want then I may get some Elenchrom reflectors as they are adaptable to Profoto as they have their own versions of Profoto reflectors."

That's OK, just don't expect the same results you will get from modifiers like Profoto and Elinchrom.

Aug 01, 2015 at 11:50 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Adapt PCB reflectors to Profoto D1

The strongest thing about profoto's line of modifiers is their reflectors.

Aug 02, 2015 at 04:57 AM
Stuyou

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Adapt PCB reflectors to Profoto D1

Greg & Mark, what makes Profoto reflectors so good (and worth the price)?

Aug 02, 2015 at 09:26 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Adapt PCB reflectors to Profoto D1

Stuyou wrote:
Greg & Mark, what makes Profoto reflectors so good (and worth the price)?

Light quality and variety. Reflectors have some science to them to produce even light with smooth falloff and are a lot more complicated then soft light modifiers. Profoto's line has a wide range of them for specific looks and uses. I don't think any other brand has reflectors that zoom either.

Aug 02, 2015 at 12:48 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Adapt PCB reflectors to Profoto D1

All that mark mentions plus the quality and performance of the mounting system. Profoto is second to none when is comes to security and versatility. Then there is the build quality of Elinchrom and Profoto. Just pick up one of their reflectors compared to AB and you will feel the difference. It may not mean as much if you are a casual user but they will last a lifetime of hard use.

Edited on Aug 05, 2015 at 11:41 PM · View previous versions

Aug 02, 2015 at 06:10 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Adapt PCB reflectors to Profoto D1

I think this has already been answered, but I want to add my two cents...

The Profoto reflectors are designed and engineered to work with and provide the best functionality with Profoto lights... they are part of a lighting system. If you upgrade the heads, you should budget the reflectors into that upgrade. If you don't you will not be taking full advantage of the upgrade.

I also agree that soft modifiers are not as critical.

Paul

Aug 02, 2015 at 11:32 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Adapt PCB reflectors to Profoto D1

Profoto reflectors are expensive just like the heads themselves, but there's no point in drinking half the Cool-Aid. The Magnum and white beauty dish are my go-to Profoto modifiers, and I find them particularly distinctive. The BD can be fitted with an opal glass diffuser just like the (even more expensive) Mola dishes, and creates its own signature catchlight:

As mentioned, the OEM versions are solidly built, have the most secure attachment design in the business, and the dish selection is broad (I have five of them). To attain the original light pattern for these dishes, be aware that using a frosted dome is generally preferable—not standard with the current monolights. Profoto is rather disingenuous about this requirement IMO. Image above used the BD on an Acute head.

Aug 03, 2015 at 04:07 AM
Stuyou

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Adapt PCB reflectors to Profoto D1

OK, so you guys convinced me to rent a few reflectors and try them out.

Aug 03, 2015 at 07:40 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.