Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · deer in Richmond Park, London.

dtpixi

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · deer in Richmond Park, London.

Richmond Park (2350 acres) in southwest London dates back the 1500's when it was open space land used by Henry V111 to hunt. Charles I in 1625 claimed it as a Royal Park, introduced 2000 deer to it, and built a wall around the 7 mile perimeter. It is still a Royal Park, open free to the public, home now to around 650 red and fallow deer, and an amazing array of wildlife. The largest of London's Royal Parks, it is of national and international importance for conservation, and is a designated nature reserve.

I like to be up there in the early morning, especially on a misty day, quite magical and timeless. I don’t like to unsettle the deer, especially these smaller ones, so try and stick to a single shot for any scene. One shutter click these smaller deer are usually okay with, two and they are gone.

This image worked out well, I took the one photo and put the camera down, they stayed put and relaxed, I stayed a short while and then quietly left.

Canon 400D/24-105L

© dtpixi 2015

deer in Richmond park, London

Aug 01, 2015 at 04:13 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · deer in Richmond Park, London.

A nice, moody shot. You might consider cropping the fence off the left, and maybe the very dark trunk off the right ~ Ron

Aug 01, 2015 at 07:08 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · deer in Richmond Park, London.

Hi David!
Great capture! I agree with Ron on what to crop out or clone out. The subject indeed is mystifying to say the least..It is like out of some fantasy story taking place in good ole "motherland".
Nice work..no let's see some of your vacation pics when you can!
Thanks for the PM update!!!
Dan

Aug 01, 2015 at 07:52 AM
dtpixi

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · deer in Richmond Park, London.

Hi Ron and Dan, thanks so much for your input. This was a tough one to edit, I had already tried different crops. I also under-exposed - 2 on the day to keep highlight detail, so it needed work on that side of things too. I had already cropped the fence on the left, but didn't want to lose too much of the background bar of misty light. Also the size of the fence set the scale for the deer. However I followed your advice and cropped it out altogether, and immediately the whole image improved, especially after I also, as you suggested, cropped the tree on the right so just a sliver was showing to indicate the trunk. The image still needs some work, that right tree foliage has too much shadow and lack of detail in it.
You are right, Dan, this is very much Hobbit-type country!
David

Aug 02, 2015 at 02:42 AM
PatrickDixon10
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · deer in Richmond Park, London.

Gud show mate!! Yes has that "fantasy", Disney-esque feel to it!
Patrick

Aug 03, 2015 at 04:35 PM
dtpixi

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · deer in Richmond Park, London.

Thanks, Patrick!

Aug 04, 2015 at 03:19 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.