Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · New Lensbaby 56mm F/1.6 on full frame Canon 6D?

billsamuels
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Lensbaby 56mm F/1.6 on full frame Canon 6D?

I'm wondering if anyone has tried the new Lensbaby 56mm F/1.6 lens (new model) on any of the Canon models, especially a full-frame Canon? It's supposed to be available for all of the major brands including mirrorless, but I'm especially interested in how it will work on a full-frame Canon, over an APS-C sensor.

The description at B&H Photo sounds tempting, but the price seems a little high for a lens that doesn't sound as if it does anything specifically well. I can't figure out if it's a Macro with a 1:2 magnification. I've always (perhaps wrongly) thought that a good macro should have a magnification of 1:1.

It also talks about having a "soft glowing effect" wide open, so it's also supposed to be a great portrait lens. So what the heck is it?

I have a Tamron 90mm F/2.8 macro 1:1 and got it when it first came out, and thus far I've been very disappointed with it. I thought it would be THE macro to get, but the AF seems to search way too much and the depth of field at both ends is so tiny that even at F22, I can only see one part of the inside of a flower. Also, even w/ a tripod and doing everything right, it's just not as sharp as I'd expect. I've been disappointed.

That's the purpose of looking at the Lensbaby in part. It has a 5" working distance, yet it does a lot of other fun things as well. And it's cheaper than the Tamron, so maybe if I sold the Tamron, I might get about the same for the Tamron as I have to pay for the Lensbaby. But is it worth it

Thanks.

Canon Rebel XTi, Tamron 90mm F/2.8 SP DI Macro 1:1, ISO 400, 1/60, F4, Canon Flash Unit

Jul 31, 2015 at 01:36 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Lensbaby 56mm F/1.6 on full frame Canon 6D?

billsamuels wrote:
I have a Tamron 90mm F/2.8 macro 1:1 and got it when it first came out, and thus far I've been very disappointed with it. I thought it would be THE macro to get, but the AF seems to search way too much and the depth of field at both ends is so tiny that even at F22, I can only see one part of the inside of a flower. Also, even w/ a tripod and doing everything right, it's just not as sharp as I'd expect. I've been disappointed.

Then you have a faulty copy or are doing something wrong. All macro lenses search a lot and depth of field is always small at such close distances.

I suggest you visit the Macro World Forum and read through the first four threads.

Jul 31, 2015 at 02:48 PM
Johnny B Goode
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Lensbaby 56mm F/1.6 on full frame Canon 6D?

I bought my 90mm Tamron 2.8 while I was in High school (2003 or 2004) and it's still fun to use. I don't do much macro but I love it for portraits. I even dropped it years ago, autofocus no longer works but it's still good.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7338/8826365322_daecc51bb3_b.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8490/8200175692_9e372abb76_b.jpg

^pretty sure that's also the 90mm

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8449/7925295114_d14826d921_b.jpg

Aug 05, 2015 at 09:39 PM
Ferrophot
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Lensbaby 56mm F/1.6 on full frame Canon 6D?

10D Tony. Gee I've wasted a lot of money on upgrading cameras.

Aug 06, 2015 at 08:25 AM
panos.v
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Lensbaby 56mm F/1.6 on full frame Canon 6D?

billsamuels wrote:

A lensbaby is just a fun toy lens. The Tamron is a proper macro lens. I don't know if you have a faulty Tamron or doing it all wrong but the Tarmron 90 is one of the best lenses you can buy.

At 1:1 DOF will be very small, that's the price you pay for such high magnification. AF is not the fastest but with the limiter on it should be ok and accirate. Just don't expect to be shooting macros with AF, it is pointless regardless of the lens you use. Generally once you're below 2ft for focusing it all starts getting a bit tricky, in the end at high magnifications there are tons of features the AF system can pick on from within the focus point area and it cannot know what it is you want to focus on, all the AF sees are tiny details while you're looking at the big picture.

Aug 06, 2015 at 08:55 AM

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New Lensbaby 56mm F/1.6 on full frame Canon 6D?

The lensbaby... oh, where do we start...
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/lensbaby-velvet-56mm-f-1-6-macro-review-27275
Since it seems basically useless below f/4.0, why don't you get a Sigma 50/2.8 macro if you need a short 1:1 lens? It has slow AF but the Lensbaby has none at all. There used to be a Sigma 70mm f/2.8 macro that was widely regarded as the sharpest mainstream lens in existence, but it has been discontinued.
I liked the Tamron 60mm f/2 Macro but it's only good for 1.3x crop and smaller, not FF.

Aug 06, 2015 at 12:00 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New Lensbaby 56mm F/1.6 on full frame Canon 6D?

I'm starting to wonder if I got a bad lens and that's why it's not sharp. I've never been impressed with it, whereas if I take my Canon 70-200 F/4L and focus at a distance, I can get better results on the same flower, maybe even way better results than the macro I spent $700 on. In fact, some of my Canon 50mm F/1.4 are better as well.

People stay swear by that Tamron 90mm macro and I haven't found anything to scream about it yet, so again, I'm wondering if it's a bad unit.

I've had it for 2 years - anyone know how to claim it with Tamron or is it too late?

Aug 07, 2015 at 01:52 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.