New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Haggis - or so we call him

Squirrely Eyed
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Haggis - or so we call him

We call him Haggis. He is a beautifully hand-crafted wooden nutcracker from Steinbach.

I got some free time -- a rare occasion -- and used it to build a DIY softbox and chose Haggis as my subject.

My goal was for "dramatic lighting" from one side only, with a Secret(r)* light falloff. I'm fairly happy with the results, though I can clearly see that my DIY box is probably too small for the full-sized humans.

I debate with myself on the highlight reflections, I sort of like them to show some additional texture of the wood, and I sort of find they detract.

I welcome your comments & feedback on anything that comes to mind, I'm always looking to improve.

Haggis-1

* Strong enough for a man but made for a woman.
^^^ who makes this stuff up, really? I couldn't resist...

Jul 30, 2015 at 11:32 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Haggis - or so we call him

One good thing about making your own light box is you can make accessories and experiment with all sorts of variations from directional light with specular highlights to broad diffuse surround light.

Jul 30, 2015 at 11:41 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Haggis - or so we call him

On a round / spherical subject, the reflections can be more specular / acute (closely matching vector angles) than a flatter subject would be. In this particular case, I find them just a touch distracting.

You aren't going to change the curvature of the subject, so some approach for diffusing your lighting more might be in order.

Jul 31, 2015 at 07:30 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Haggis - or so we call him

+1 at them being a bit overpowering, but you also have to remember that speculars aren't always bad as they reenforce to the viewer what the subject's made of, material wise.

Jeff

Jul 31, 2015 at 09:00 AM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Haggis - or so we call him

Thanks for your comments. Yeah that's why I debate with myself, texture vs. their brightness.

I did only light processing on this, I think I'll go back & see what happens if I try to tone those down a bit.

Jul 31, 2015 at 10:54 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.