Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Nikon Change their Warranty system?

Jason_Brook
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Nikon Change their Warranty system?

Regardless of what may or may not happen, Nikon has the most jackassy warranty policies I've ever saw. What company won't allow their ASC's to work on their own goods? If the company I worked for pulled that we'd be quickly swallowed by competition. I think it bothers me so bad because the system is there, they just choose to half ass the implementation.

With higher end rifle optics (1-4k), if you break it often times they'll replace with no questions asked. Hell, I just saw someone break a handgun (sub $1k) after 80,000 rounds. The company replaced it...and they're Czech. It took months because of customs, but still.

Jul 31, 2015 at 11:08 AM
pmac1985
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Nikon Change their Warranty system?

Must be different over there, but I'm sure here in the UK, len's are covered by a world wide warranty so nikon will fix them under warranty no question. With Bodys they will only fix them under warranty if UK stock unless its a service advisory(D750 flair ect)

Jul 31, 2015 at 02:10 PM
ScottHM
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Nikon Change their Warranty system?

harshaj1 wrote:
One of my lenses that was bought in Canada was serviced by Nikon USA without any fuss.
Harsha

That's really good to know as I got my 500 F4 and now my 20 1.8 from there.

Jul 31, 2015 at 02:38 PM
Jonathan P.

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Nikon Change their Warranty system?

I'm eager to hear more information about this. I've been hemming and hawing over whether to purchase a USA or gray market D750 for a few weeks. Nikon USA's policy of not repairing gray market cameras *even for a fee* rubs me the wrong way, to the extent that I've considered other brands. It would be extremely reassuring if Nikon USA moderated their policy.

I called APS last week to see if they can service the D750, and their response was that while things could change in the future, any repairs to that camera currently have to be done by Nikon.

Jul 31, 2015 at 04:38 PM
big country
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Nikon Change their Warranty system?

i was told it was for lenses only because of the wording on the warranty card.

this is similar to canon. lenses say canada and usa (north america), some of the bodies as well, but 1d x, is country specific.

Jul 31, 2015 at 04:58 PM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Nikon Change their Warranty system?

rwingsfan wrote:
I would not even care so much about warranty work but just service the darn thing if I'll pay.

This is exactly the reason why Nikon refuses any service on imported body/lens even for fee. If Nikon allowed any service on imported body/lens for fee, there'll be millions would jump on EBay for imported Nikon. The possibility of any Nikon needing a service is very slim once the usual beta testers found initial bugs and fixed. Very little, if any, risk for buying much cheaper imported items. They all came off the same assembly line.

AFAIK, retail prices in many smaller countries are much lower than in US/EU/UK(maybe), there consumers usually don't get buyers' remorse return. In those countries, most sales are final, no return or refund once used. Makes sense?

Jul 31, 2015 at 07:46 PM
rwingsfan
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Nikon Change their Warranty system?

To me it makes no sense to refuse to service your product that as you say "came off the same assembly line". Regardless of buyers remorse, which is a problem it's still dumb. Just like we pay a lot more for pharms also
Steve Park wrote:
This is exactly the reason why Nikon refuses any service on imported body/lens even for fee. If Nikon allowed any service on imported body/lens for fee, there'll be millions would jump on EBay for imported Nikon. The possibility of any Nikon needing a service is very slim once the usual beta testers found initial bugs and fixed. Very little, if any, risk for buying much cheaper imported items. They all came off the same assembly line.

AFAIK, retail prices in many smaller countries are much lower than in US/EU/UK(maybe), there consumers usually don't get buyers' remorse return. In those countries,
...Show more

Edited on Jul 31, 2015 at 10:11 PM · View previous versions

Jul 31, 2015 at 08:37 PM
mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Nikon Change their Warranty system?

If you compare the recent Canon grey market versus US body prices, the gap is much smaller.

The incremental price on a Canon 6D body is $100, less than 10% incremental for a USA over grey market product. That is close enough that I would probably pay the $100 to get the kind of support that I receive from B&H, Adorama, etc. The price difference on the $4,000 professional Canon 1DX is about $300, less than 10%. I think a lot of pros would be willing to pay that for pro level support.

A 10% incremental on the D750 at $1,400 would put that at $1,540, a much more reasonable price. I would definitely go with a USA body at that price.

Canon has also traditionally serviced grey market bodies In the U.S. under warranty with no problem, although they don't officially say that they do this.

The bottom line is that Nikon can only go so far to create artificial barriers to support artificially inflated prices in the U.S. At least for savvy buyers. At almost $2,000, they are asking for a 40%+ premium for the "support" of Nikon USA.

I am sure that about 90%-95% of less sophisticated buyers will just pay US retail prices, unless Nikon continues to try to maintain unrealistic regional incremental pricing in a global marketplace. Eventually more and more buyers will decide that it is worth it to save $600.

Jul 31, 2015 at 08:54 PM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Nikon Change their Warranty system?

I don't know what street sells Canon 1Dx for $4300, but I only see the same $5300 from B&H, Adorama or Amazon. No matter what amazing price. Oh, 6D is going for $1399 on these so called reputable dealers.

Jul 31, 2015 at 11:48 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Nikon Change their Warranty system?

That is Canon's Minimum Advertised Price. Canon unfortunately changed to the same restrictive pricing policy as Nikon about 1.5 years ago. No one is allowed to advertise a lower price, but Canon and Nikon are not allowed to set the actual selling price under US antitrust law.

That is the unfortunate reality of how the business is run in the USA.

The street price is from the same type sellers. USA product from a Canon Authorized Dealer, guaranteed.

It is all explained at the site. I have used the service and so have many others.

Aug 01, 2015 at 02:36 AM
Jay968
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Nikon Change their Warranty system?

>>>Canon and Nikon are not allowed to set the actual selling price under US antitrust law.<<<

No, this is absolutely not true. Nikon USA DOES set the actual selling price in the US. It's called MVP pricing and it exists on most Nikon bodies, lenses and flash units.

For that matter, Leica, Sony and some other manufacturers do the same.

Aug 02, 2015 at 07:53 PM
big country
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Nikon Change their Warranty system?

What does MVP stand for?

Aug 03, 2015 at 11:36 AM
mmurph
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Nikon Change their Warranty system?

It is more commonly known as "Unilateral Pricing." From Wikipedia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unilateral_policy

My apologies for only providing links. I am on my iPad and the browser has crashed a few times while trying to paste in quotes.

This is a fairly complex subject. The B&H representative here at FM - whose name temporarily escapes me- has posted some detailed explanations with discussions of these practices.

Here is a decent summary from CNET, referring specifically to the TV business, but mentioning Apple, etc. Have you ever noticed how tightly Apple product prices are controlled on new iPhones and similar? You might find a $15 gift card or similar at Best Buy:

http://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-upp-or-why-do-tvs-cost-the-same-at-every-store/

Here are two posts from Nikon Rumors from 2011, when Nikon implemented/ enforced this policy:

http://nikonrumors.com/2011/10/07/another-nikon-price-increase-in-the-us.aspx/

http://nikonrumors.com/2011/10/14/the-new-nikon-us-pricing-policy-explained.aspx/

From the Federal Trade Commission on the USA **Federal** (not state) legality of "Manufacturer Imposed Requirements":

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/competition-guidance/guide-antitrust-laws/dealings-supply-chain/manufacturer-imposed

Note that some states prohibit this practice, as do other countries. Utah just outlawed the practice specifically for contact lenses, effective May 2015:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/utah-leads-nation-as-first-state-to-ban-upp-price-fixing-schemes-in-contact-lens-industry-300057302.html

Aug 03, 2015 at 01:54 PM
cambyses
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Nikon Change their Warranty system?

big country wrote:
What does MVP stand for?

I think it was meant to be MAP: Minimum Advertised Price.

Aug 03, 2015 at 02:13 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Nikon Change their Warranty system?

big country wrote:
Rumor has it nikon is no longer restricting service in the USA for Nikon USA products only. Have any of you nikon heads heard this?

I have not heard or read or seen any rumors of this nature and have certainly not heard or seen or read anything which might confirm this.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Aug 03, 2015 at 02:49 PM
big country
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Nikon Change their Warranty system?

Henry, did you read the text on the warranty card i posted?

Aug 04, 2015 at 08:08 AM
henryp
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Nikon Change their Warranty system?

big country wrote:
Henry, did you read the text on the warranty card i posted?

Yeah. It's from Nikon/Canada. Nikon USA is an entirely different entity.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Aug 04, 2015 at 09:27 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Nikon Change their Warranty system?

big country wrote:
What does MVP stand for?

Josh Donaldson.

Aug 07, 2015 at 12:23 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.