New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · 7DII- Red AF point

mfrank999
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7DII- Red AF point

When I autofocus my single point starts with black and then blinks with red over the black.
Is there any way to just show a red AF point through the viewfinder?
I called Canon tech and they could not figure it out.

Jul 30, 2015 at 02:34 PM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7DII- Red AF point

Canon has still NOT figured out that no one want black focus points.

Jul 30, 2015 at 02:41 PM
mfrank999
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7DII- Red AF point

Psychic1 wrote:

The way I have it set up it blinks red over the black, kind of weird.
I assume I can change it to be just black.

Jul 30, 2015 at 03:22 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7DII- Red AF point

Psychic1 wrote:

According to your own 1DX2 rumor thread, Canon HAS figured it out and will be implementing it in the upcoming camera .

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1377070/0#13115343

Jul 30, 2015 at 03:29 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7DII- Red AF point

Viewfinder illumination

Information on the focus screen can be set to illuminate briefly in certain conditions for better viewing in low light. This is actually set in the EOS 7D Mark II’s AF menu: 5th AF menu screen > VF display illumination:

Auto
Red illumination of AF points, Grid Lines, or any other viewfinder info on the focus screen when the camera detects low-light conditions (there’s no way to change the factory-set cut-off point for illuminating vs. not illuminating).
Enable (ON)
Red illumination is always active, regardless of ambient light level. Illumination is limited to when AF is actually being activated; it does not simply constantly illuminate.
Off
No illumination of viewfinder info that’s over the focus screen, regardless of ambient light level.

An important aspect of viewfinder illumination in the EOS 7D Mark II is that if active, it’ll appear differently in One-Shot AF vs. AI Servo AF. In One-Shot AF, when you press whichever button activates AF, it’ll flash briefly upon completion of AF, so you can visually confirm which point(s) are active and where they fall in the scene. In AI Servo AF, it behaves like the EOS-1D X with version 2.0 or higher firmware installed — during continuous AI Servo focus-tracking, the red illumination flashes on every second or so, briefly, then goes off. Again, there’s no way to have it simply illuminate constantly, regardless of the light level.

What about if you’re using Manual focus? If you’ve got the lens set to MF and press actively on whichever button would have been your AF activation button, you’ll get focus confirmation in the viewfinder when you do achieve sharp focus and the red illumination will flash briefly (as in One-Shot AF) when that happens. But again, it won’t illuminate continuously, even if the menu for illumination is set to ON.a

Jul 30, 2015 at 03:31 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7DII- Red AF point

How that ever got through the development phase is a mystery, especially in regards to the 1DX where all the previous 1D bodies had a bright AF point. I have yet to meet any sports shooter that even likes the kludge of a FW update.

Jul 30, 2015 at 03:40 PM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7DII- Red AF point

I said it before and I will say it again "It is a faith based AF system."

I am not into "mystical BS", I want to see my AF point while tracking my subject in the dark.

The FW update made the situation worse, Canon admitted their mistake.

The consumer bodies will maintain BLACK AF points because the system cannot be updated.

The 1D V and 1DsV will have a new AF system with RED AF points, just like the Nikon D4S.

Jul 30, 2015 at 03:41 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7DII- Red AF point

What a hardship. I don't know how you can manage to take photos.

Jul 30, 2015 at 08:00 PM
Phantom Medic
• • •
[X]
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 7DII- Red AF point

I agree...what a deal breaker. I will spit on my 7d2, burn it and throw it to the trash....

Jul 30, 2015 at 08:17 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 7DII- Red AF point

Psychic1 wrote:

well maybe I'm in the minority . but as a RED Green Colour blind person the old Red points on my previous cams was a pain .

Im fine with the black points

Jul 31, 2015 at 05:54 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 7DII- Red AF point

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
well maybe I'm in the minority . but as a RED Green Colour blind person the old Red points on my previous cams was a pain .

Im fine with the black points

Heresy!

Jul 31, 2015 at 09:01 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 7DII- Red AF point

I discussed this years ago with the 5D3 and of course the opinions always continue. For me I rarely have any issues seeing the black AF points. Only if I shoot indoors or something which I rarely do and outdoors the backpoints look better than the red do on my 1D4. The servo workaround is seizure inducing so I don't participate in that and I only shoot in Servo and have no issues. In dark situations a quick push of the AF points button (right most next to AFON and *) allows the points to light up.

Now I realize that with wider than 2.8 lenses people report the black points start to fade to brown as there is so much more light entering and washing them out.

I realize for some the points can be very problematic but for outdoor wildlife shooting at f/2.8 and darker lenses I much prefer the new system to the 1D4. We will see if Canon redesigns them or not on 1DX2...my guess is not.

Jul 31, 2015 at 09:06 AM
mfrank999
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 7DII- Red AF point

arbitrage wrote:
I discussed this years ago with the 5D3 and of course the opinions always continue. For me I rarely have any issues seeing the black AF points. Only if I shoot indoors or something which I rarely do and outdoors the backpoints look better than the red do on my 1D4. The servo workaround is seizure inducing so I don't participate in that and I only shoot in Servo and have no issues. In dark situations a quick push of the AF points button (right most next to AFON and *) allows the points to light up.

Now I realize
...Show more

I went out this morning for BIF and truthfully did not even think about the red vs. black dot!!
Got great results.

Jul 31, 2015 at 09:54 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.