Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Shutter Speed Question

Kenneth Farver
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shutter Speed Question

In the soccer photo below I noticed the ball is blurred along with the kicking shoe.
Would you use a higher shutter speed or do you like the blur?
1/1600 second used

In the softball photo with the fellow's eyes on the ball would you use a higher speed here so the softball is less blurry?
1/1000 second used

In the softball almost against the bat (same question)
1/1600 second used

Thanks for your time, Ken.

Jul 30, 2015 at 11:22 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shutter Speed Question

Assuming for the moment the distance to target is sufficient enough for the DoF @f/7.1 to encapsulate the player and ball, then yes it's possible for the soccer ball and foot to be blurred. I've had this happen with u14 girls striking a ball shooting at f/4.0. Once I raised the SS to 1/2000 everything fell into focus and the action was stopped. Liking the blur is a subjective thing and also depends on the viewer ex) the parents vs the player vs the photographer

The last one appears to be outside DoF of the f/2.8 setting if the distance to target (player) was say 60'. The DoF is only 2 ft and that's 1ft back and 1 ft forward. If the AF was actually locked to the batter's torso the ball is way outside the 1ft arena. Given the ISO is only 800 my suggestion would be to shoot at f/5.6 with ISO 3200 (which the 1DX can easily handle). This provides a 4' Dof vs 2'. I would also prefocus on home plate vs the batter. Uncertain if the SS of 1/1600 is enough. There are many here that do a lot of baseball shooting and will most likely chime in.

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:28 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shutter Speed Question

thanks, schlotz!
I didn't factor in depth of field
I like your ideas. I'll try them the next time I am out, Ken.

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:36 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shutter Speed Question

Ken, if you are interested in the baseball side of the equation read Paul Alesse's response in this thread. ALSO, see the photo from Frank Lauri down below that.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1372610/0#13101196

Matt

Jul 30, 2015 at 02:07 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shutter Speed Question

Thanks for reminding me of that post.
I just got lucky that the ball was that close to the bat, ha, ha.
Ken.

Jul 30, 2015 at 02:34 PM
rolette
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shutter Speed Question

Kenneth Farver wrote:
In the soccer photo below I noticed the ball is blurred along with the kicking shoe.
Would you use a higher shutter speed or do you like the blur?

Are you showing us a small crop of the photo so we can see the blur or is that intended to be the photo? If it is a crop and the guy's head/body are sharp, then it should be fine. If what you've shown here is the photo, then you need a faster shutter speed.

In the softball photo with the fellow's eyes on the ball would you use a higher speed here so the softball is less blurry?
You've got a lot of light available and are at a low ISO. You aren't trading off anything noticeable in IQ upping your shutter speed and ISO in this one, so might as well take advantage of the situation.

In the softball almost against the bat (same question)
This one is perfectly fine for my tastes. It's really just the end of the bat + ball that have some motion blur. Having his arms in focus makes the difference vs. your 2nd shot.

Again, you've got room to up the ISO and SS if you want to freeze it more, but that's more about what look you are going for.

Jay

Jul 31, 2015 at 07:05 AM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shutter Speed Question

thanks rolette!
Yes the soccer photo is a crop and he is in focus.
I am used to 1/1000 and 400 ISO in good light so I'll bump up both
Thanks for your comments.

Jul 31, 2015 at 08:24 AM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shutter Speed Question

As a general rule, light permitting, I shoot all field sports at a 1/2000th minimum... You'll need to go faster than that to freeze some action depending on the sport. Unless I'm trying to freeze the ball, I prefer "some" motion blur in the ball because it shows action.

Jul 31, 2015 at 10:54 AM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shutter Speed Question

Thanks, Ralph, I'll try bumping it up.

Jul 31, 2015 at 11:21 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.