Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              9       10       end

Archive 2015 · 1DX Mk II rumours...OMG....

can0nfan2379
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · 1DX Mk II rumours...OMG....

fraga wrote:
IAgain, in my particular case.
28-30MP would make me consider it.

+1 28-30 mpx would be a meaningful resolution upgrade.

Jul 31, 2015 at 04:49 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · 1DX Mk II rumours...OMG....

1D4 16 MP is equivalent to FF 27MP. 24MP is a 33% increase over the 18MP of the 1DX. I think anything 24 or more would be perfect. I agree 28MP would be sweet but they also want to increase FPS as that is always an attention grabbing headline. If they are aiming at 14FPS with full AF then I think 24MP may be the limit.

Jul 31, 2015 at 10:06 PM
can0nfan2379
• • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · 1DX Mk II rumours...OMG....

arbitrage wrote:
1D4 16 MP is equivalent to FF 27MP. 24MP is a 33% increase over the 18MP of the 1DX. I think anything 24 or more would be perfect. I agree 28MP would be sweet but they also want to increase FPS as that is always an attention grabbing headline. If they are aiming at 14FPS with full AF then I think 24MP may be the limit.

Do you think that the mirror mechanism can physically do 14 FPS (ie. maybe they have to go to a pellicle mirror to get over 12 fps without mirror lockup) or do you think 14 fps would be related to bandwidth and how much data has to be moved off the sensor at those speeds?

14 fps may be an attention grabber, but I'd be perfectly happy with 10fps and 28 mpx personally.

It'll be interesting to see what Canon prioritizes.

Aug 01, 2015 at 12:10 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · 1DX Mk II rumours...OMG....

Since the 1DX already does 14 fps, with the mirror locked up and saving jpeg files only, it appears that max. fps on the Mk I is limited by both mirror dynamics and bandwidth. Data bandwidths are continuously expanding, and so I figure mirror dynamics will become the primary restriction for achieving higher fps with an active mirror, on the Mk II.

Aug 01, 2015 at 06:39 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · 1DX Mk II rumours...OMG....

^^^ rut-ro! Are we threading dangerously close to a mirrorless concept Jim?

Aug 01, 2015 at 07:40 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · 1DX Mk II rumours...OMG....

I ain't afraid of no not mirror.

Aug 01, 2015 at 11:26 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · 1DX Mk II rumours...OMG....

Want more fps? Shoot video.

Aug 01, 2015 at 11:53 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · 1DX Mk II rumours...OMG....

schlotz wrote:
^^^ rut-ro! Are we threading dangerously close to a mirrorless concept Jim?

Would be cool to see a full blown ML Pro body. If only the manufacturers weren't hung up on wimpy little bodies with bad ergonomics.

Aug 01, 2015 at 04:29 PM
jbonzo1
• •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · 1DX Mk II rumours...OMG....

AF points out to the edges of the frame.
I think the D5 and 1DXII will come very close to this. I would be shocked if they dropped the fps, that's a pride thing in the pro bodies.

Aug 02, 2015 at 11:46 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · 1DX Mk II rumours...OMG....

jcolwell wrote:
Since the 1DX already does 14 fps, with the mirror locked up and saving jpeg files only, it appears that max. fps on the Mk I is limited by both mirror dynamics and bandwidth. Data bandwidths are continuously expanding, and so I figure mirror dynamics will become the primary restriction for achieving higher fps with an active mirror, on the Mk II.

And with that, you may be thinking about some things that might happen in a certain camera that follows the 1Dx, things that have been said to be quite significant changes.

Or maybe not...

Aug 02, 2015 at 12:05 PM
Methodical
• • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · 1DX Mk II rumours...OMG....

tmalone893 wrote:
This is what I'm waiting on. The price to drop out when the X2 is announced.

It will happen as always

Aug 02, 2015 at 03:06 PM
Gai Shan

p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · 1DX Mk II rumours...OMG....

All I want is 5 axis IBIS in the MK ii for XMAS.
Seeing as how December is still 4 months, I think Canon has time to work this out and put this feature in.

Aug 02, 2015 at 09:05 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · 1DX Mk II rumours...OMG....

jcolwell wrote:

FPS is also limited by the diaphragm motor. IIRC most of the lenses are limited to 10FPS stopped down, so a faster camera may be of limited value unless the lens is used wide open.

EBH

Aug 02, 2015 at 09:13 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · 1DX Mk II rumours...OMG....

jcolwell wrote:

EB-1 wrote:
FPS is also limited by the diaphragm motor. IIRC most of the lenses are limited to 10FPS stopped down, so a faster camera may be of limited value unless the lens is used wide open.

EBH

Interesting. I wasn't aware of that, but it makes sense. I usually shoot my 500/4L IS and 100-400L IS II wide open, but I sometimes shoot my 70-200/2.8L IS II at f/4. I haven't noticed an effect on 1DX fps. Of course, I imagine that any effect would depend on the particular lens and on how far it's stopped down.

Aug 02, 2015 at 10:23 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · 1DX Mk II rumours...OMG....

It's in the manual (pp. 115-116). I rarely get the full 12FPS as the lenses are typically stopped down from f/7-10 to get enough DOF.

EBH

Aug 02, 2015 at 10:31 PM
KSgal

p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · 1DX Mk II rumours...OMG....

Ralph Thompson wrote:
I should have said, I'm a full-time sports photographer... When I shoot on most high school football fields (in Norcal), there are not enough light heads to even out the cycling lights. High ISO isn't enough, the color temps vary from one frame to the next and sometimes from one side of the frame to the other... Most times, I used a speedlight to "fill" and to help with the color. Same thing happens inside gyms depending on what type of lights the venue has. I'm not sure any "anti flicker" would help; but it may, as the technology
...Show more

With my 7DII, what happens is you get the same color for the full frame, and don't have to deal with partial color frames. side by side, one frame may have one color temp, and the next one a different color temp, but easy to deal with in post with LR. 6400-16000 iso, 1/1000 of a shutter at f3.2 usually.

I haven't tried this with Auto WB, that may make all the frames the same color - I shoot raw+jpg 98% of the time.

I may try to AWB in LR in batch and see what the colors end up or try AWB in camera next Saturday, just to see. I know sometimes you guys have to shoot jpg and go with the output, where I've got time to convert raw.

Aug 03, 2015 at 01:32 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · 1DX Mk II rumours...OMG....

KSgal wrote:
With my 7DII, what happens is you get the same color for the full frame, and don't have to deal with partial color frames. side by side, one frame may have one color temp, and the next one a different color temp, but easy to deal with in post with LR. 6400-16000 iso, 1/1000 of a shutter at f3.2 usually.

I haven't tried this with Auto WB, that may make all the frames the same color - I shoot raw+jpg 98% of the time.

I may try to AWB in LR in batch and see what the colors end up
...Show more
I know this is OT but, is the 7D2 usable at 16000 ISO at night football when the anti flicker tech evens out the frame? I use my 1Dx at 16K ISO at 1000 f2.8 for most shots with endzones up to 1.5 stops darker. The uneven color across the frame, and frame to frame, is a real pain with the cycling lights. The anti flicker tech is something I look forward to having in my next body.

Aug 03, 2015 at 02:37 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · 1DX Mk II rumours...OMG....

New rumours flying today....if you watch the PGA Fedex Cup Golf playoffs this weekend (or any other major sporting event) keep your eyes peeled for suspicious 1 series bodies mounted to 200-400 lenses....just saying....

http://www.canonrumors.com/2015/08/eos-1d-x-mark-ii-in-final-preproduction-form/

Basically the rumour says the camera is out of pre-production and in the hands of the previewers and lucky few...obviously these will be sports shooters and maybe a few african wildlife photogs....

Unfortunately, so far...bald eagle photogs have not made the special list so I can't share any more details....

Aug 25, 2015 at 07:35 AM
vivial6

p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · 1DX Mk II rumours...OMG....

Just to let you understand why I might have some odd requirements and wishes for a 1D X mkII.
I shoot sports and use remotes a lot and need to transfer live images from camera at most of my assignments. I also shoot RAW because I prefer it and because the sport photo agency I shoot for, requires it. (live images should be jpg).

Actually, My main requirements/whishes for a new 1D X mkII refers more to functions to improve workflow and aid creativity rather than sensor performance, AF and speed.

With that said I guess I have to point out that I do welcome more frames/second, better AF, and higher sensor resolution.
Better DR and ISO preformance would also be nice but I don't expect to see any big improvements at the ISO 1600-6400 region where 90% of my shots are at.
I would be surprised if the ISO performance gain is more than 1/3 stop (comparing RAW between iso 1600-6400).

For features i do want...

Better/faster RAW->JPG handling.
I would like to have the option to shoot RAW only, and in an easy way(max two pushes of a button) convert a raw image (+ ev. soundrecording for that file) to a jpg with soundrecording and transfer that wireless to the client/wire agency.

In camera crop option.
I also would like to have an option to crop RAW images in camera before converting to jpg.

Option to add IPTC metadata to images in camera.

Option to add something similar to Code Replacement text files in camera. And with an easy and fast way add that to the IPTC for an image in-camera.

Option to protect/tag all images that have been ”star” rated.
That way I could use my workflow where I only ingest protected/tagged images (for speed) and can use the star-rating to distinguish time-critical images (like goals, celebrations, ingurys, action) with less important images like single action, portraits and so on.

More programmable options on the buttons.

I would like to move the Q-key (program it to an other button) and use the Q-key location for other functions, like protect/tag or zoom. This way I’m able to use the main operations with one hand.

Hotshoe activation/deactivation button with "hold" function.
Have the option to program the ”DOF Preview” button, the *-button or the ”Multi Function 2” Button so you can activate the camera hotshoe when the button is hold down. When it is released it goes back to hotshoe OFF setting.
That way I can mount pocketwizards transmitters and only release the shutter for the remote cameras when the Hotshoe activation button is holded down. Which means the camera will not take remote images every time I push the shutter on my main camera. Only when I’m holding down the Hotshoe button and press the shutter.

An extra Killer button or ”Register / Recall function button”
This is by far one of the best ”hidden features” in the 1D X if you ask me.
It has actually been avaliable since the 1D mk III but with less options. Today the *-button or the AF-ON button on the 1D X can be used as a ”Register / Recall function button”.
By holding down the *-key or the AF-ON key you can alter most of the camera setting to something you have programmed it to do. Which means you can change the entire camera settings (or almost) to something else by holding down a button and when you release the button everything goes back to your original settings.
For example, I might shoot a motorcycle race and when the bikes are heading towards me, I want to freeze the action and when they passes me I want to do a pano with a slower shutter speed. So changing between these setting is done by holding down a button.
This is a very creative button. I can go from a fast shutterspeed to a slow in no time, from shooting with a regular exposure to underexposed ”for siluettes” and so on.
I want more of those ”Register / Recall function buttons” with "hold/release" functions so you don't as easy forget which mode you are in.

/Andreas

Edited on Aug 26, 2015 at 12:24 AM · View previous versions

Aug 25, 2015 at 07:19 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · 1DX Mk II rumours...OMG....

Awesome stuff Andreas. I think you big sports shooters are still the main market that Canon develops the 1DX for so I think you guys do have some clout in getting Canon to add usefull features that are very sports specific as you mention. I probably wouldn't use any of those things for my hobby bird and wildlife shooting but I would be glad if they were there to keep the sports market happy so that Canon keeps making these niche/expensive 1 series cameras.

I agree that the Register/Recall function is the best thing on the camera...7D2 has it now also and 7D2 even has better options than the 1DX in a few areas. So I think the 1DX2 will improve in that area also.

I am saving my camera budget for the 1dxII so hoping it will be something worth the big bucks...

Aug 25, 2015 at 08:00 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.