Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Need suggestion for cheap, entry level zoom (work friend)

Invertalon
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need suggestion for cheap, entry level zoom (work friend)

I am a Canon guy myself, so when I was approached by a guy at work asking for lens advise I decided to ask here for those who have more experience with the Nikon system.

Of course, his expectations are practically impossible... You know... He wants more zoom range than his kit lens, better in low light, cheaper than $200... Typical. He prefers if he can just use the new lens all the time, so if it starts in the 18mm range that would be ideal. His body is a D5100. Wants it for pictures of the kids and such, vacation, etc... I for sure wants a larger zoom as he mentioned he crops a lot because he cant get in close enough, so hitting 200mm or so would be ideal.

So is it better to find a Nikon lens or is there better third party lenses to look at? Any suggestions? I know pickings will be extremely slim... At this point I am looking at the 55-200 and just telling him to use it alongside his kit lens. Is that the best option?

Jul 28, 2015 at 06:30 AM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need suggestion for cheap, entry level zoom (work friend)

sigma makes a 18-200. Not sure the price nowadays but it likely isn't too expensive

Jul 28, 2015 at 06:32 AM
serge07
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need suggestion for cheap, entry level zoom (work friend)

The best option that I can think of without having to resort to the pre-owned market would be the Nikkor 18-105 VR. I'm not sure that it will improve on low light performance but it does have quite a bit more reach and may be a better all around lens for your friend.

I did a quick Google search and see that Adorama is offering Nikon refurbished examples for $199.95.

http://www.adorama.com/NK18105VRR.html?gclid=COGPzo7u_cYCFdKPHwodgP4JmQ

The 55-200 VR is a very nice performer for its low cost and certainly a great option if changing lenses is not an issue. It is more of a good light lens in my experience.

Regards,

Serge

Jul 28, 2015 at 08:00 AM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need suggestion for cheap, entry level zoom (work friend)

> He wants more zoom range than his kit lens, better in low light, cheaper than $200...

These are extremely unrealistic criteria. Low light = large aperture which means none of the inexpensive lenses are going to do it. The closest he could get would be a really extraordinary deal on a used lens.

Advise him to haunt the used listings, and when he gets tired of that he will rethink his budget.

Jul 28, 2015 at 08:27 AM
Invertalon
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need suggestion for cheap, entry level zoom (work friend)

Trust me, I know the budget is wack for what he wants... So that is why I am looking for best compromise.

Canon wise, I have over $15,000 in lenses alone so I know you pay big for specialty glass. I don't have much experience in the consumer "budget" area of the lens and camera body spectrum!

Jul 28, 2015 at 08:40 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need suggestion for cheap, entry level zoom (work friend)

Tell your friend to invest wisely. Save less than $100 more, and buy a used 70-300mm VR, either Nikon, or actually he can go to the Sigma website, they were selling their version of the 70-300mm refurbished for $250 or so...

Jul 28, 2015 at 08:54 AM
InlawBiker
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need suggestion for cheap, entry level zoom (work friend)

mysh wrote:
sigma makes a 18-200. Not sure the price nowadays but it likely isn't too expensive

I have one for sale in B&S

Barring that I would recommend the Nikon 18-105 VR, can be bought refurbished from Cameta for around $200.

Greg.

Jul 28, 2015 at 11:40 AM
conrad2nr
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need suggestion for cheap, entry level zoom (work friend)

Tell him to buy a 55-300mm VR or a 70-300mm VR for the reach and a 35mm 1.8G or 50mm 1.8G for the low light.

You can also suggest that the prime wouldn't only be much sharper but it'll "teach" (not force) him to compose better or bust.

Jul 28, 2015 at 12:00 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need suggestion for cheap, entry level zoom (work friend)

I had an 18-105. Totally useless as a lens, to small for a coffee mug.

Jul 28, 2015 at 12:04 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need suggestion for cheap, entry level zoom (work friend)

I get this question all the time haha. It's frustrating, but usually comes from someone who doesn't understand the many compromises of photography. Often times they want to buy the cheapest possible setup to shoot in the most difficult possible scenarios (i.e. low light action). Most things are a "pick two of the three" type deal. Everyone wants an 18-300/2.8 VR lens that weighs next to nothing and costs $200. Doesn't work like that, even if it existed.

The sub-$200 budget kind of kills it, and there is no way he's getting better low light performance to boot.

Some possible options, all used, and probably over budget:

55-200 VR (he will have to change lenses, but for the price it's hard to beat, matches the kit lens perfectly, and has decent IQ)
18-140 VR
18-105 VR (meh)
55-300 VR
70-300 VR
18-200 VR (original version)
Sigma/Tamron 18-200/18-250 (f6.3 is brutal though)

If it were me I'd probably suggest he suck up the lens changes and buy a 55-200 VR if he is on that tight of a budget.

Jul 28, 2015 at 12:27 PM
nick53097
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need suggestion for cheap, entry level zoom (work friend)

One of the best all-in-one zoom lenses for Nikon DX is Nikon 16-85 VR lens
Right now it's a great time to buy a used one for around $300 (you know, good glass cost...)
Something like that: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1377665/0?keyword=16-85#13120764

Jul 28, 2015 at 02:33 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need suggestion for cheap, entry level zoom (work friend)

I picked up an 18-140 refurb on a whim. It actually surprised me with the image quality.

Yjr 55-200 was a surprise, too. I have been around long enough to remember when a photo mag said "Steal this lens if you must!" A 70-200 f2.8 it ain't but it is certainly good.

Jul 29, 2015 at 06:20 PM
Invertalon
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need suggestion for cheap, entry level zoom (work friend)

Just to update:

I got him to go with the Nikon 55-200mm VR II.

It is like $350 new on Amazon, but it was like $130 refurbished direct from Nikon. He ordered Wednesday and was already on the truck for delivery the next day, he was impressed.

I think it was the best option for what he wanted to spend...

Jul 31, 2015 at 07:30 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.