Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2015 · Canon EOS 5DS for $2,999!

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon EOS 5DS for $2,999!

Canon EOS 5DS for $2,999!

Ebay's GetItDigital has the Canon EOS 5DS body for $2,999. The regular price is $3699.

That is a tremendous deal for those looking for a 50MP body.

Canon EOS 5DS for $2,999 at Ebay

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:16 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon EOS 5DS for $2,999!

Didn't take long for the discounts to start on this one....hmmmmm.....

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:38 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon EOS 5DS for $2,999!

Its pretty obvious that those who want or need super resolution want the 5DS R version. That was predictable based on what we saw with Nikon bodies. I would not want the extra hassle of processing large files, particularly NR and brush functions which seem to take a long time in photoshop. with my sloppy photo tactics, it would not give me a big improvement in IQ for my average images. I seldom use my tripod, and my hands are a bit shaky.

Even if Canon was selling it for $2499, I wouldn't bite.

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:48 PM
bvphotos
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon EOS 5DS for $2,999!

I wonder if this is in response to the impending release of the A7R II.

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:54 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon EOS 5DS for $2,999!

This is NOT a USA camera, so that probably accounts for the low price. Read the fine print. It says 1 year warranty provided by the seller. That means if your camera craps out, you gotta send your camera back to them and they find a Canon authorized repair facility, but not Canon themselves. Beware - you do get what you pay for, or in this case, you don't get what you don't pay for. You might buy one of these and never have a problem and then it's a great deal, but if you do have problems, it's going to cost you way more in the long run.

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:13 PM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon EOS 5DS for $2,999!

Peter Figen wrote:
This is NOT a USA camera, so that probably accounts for the low price. Read the fine print. It says 1 year warranty provided by the seller. That means if your camera craps out, you gotta send your camera back to them and they find a Canon authorized repair facility, but not Canon themselves. Beware - you do get what you pay for, or in this case, you don't get what you don't pay for. You might buy one of these and never have a problem and then it's a great deal, but if you do have problems, it's
...Show more

blah..blah... old news..old respond. See this kind of respond every single time.

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:22 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon EOS 5DS for $2,999!

If I didn't already have a 5dsr if be all over this. Great camera

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:38 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon EOS 5DS for $2,999!

Uy, ¡la tentación me arde!

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:56 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon EOS 5DS for $2,999!

bvphotos wrote:

That's just the price of the gray market body. Unless I missed something Canon has not reduced the price, although in some regions exchange rates may make gray bodies cheaper for the unauthorized importers to buy and sell. As well, a glut of 5Ds would naturally mean lower prices within their acceptable profit margin.

EBH

Jul 28, 2015 at 12:10 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon EOS 5DS for $2,999!

arbitrage wrote:
Didn't take long for the discounts to start on this one....hmmmmm.....

when 5Ds offer is not that attractive compared to others then whatelse they should do

Jul 28, 2015 at 12:22 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon EOS 5DS for $2,999!

If you see the major vendors offer this price on non-gray market products, then we can have this discussion.

(There is some thought that the mix between the 5Ds and 5Ds R sales is not what Canon expected, with the demand for the R much greater than they predicted. R models are quite hard to find, non-R models seem to be available.)

In the meantime, for those who are fine with gray market products, this sounds like a fine deal. (I'm not familiar with the vendor, so don't take this as a recommendation!)

Jul 28, 2015 at 12:29 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon EOS 5DS for $2,999!

What is "low pass filter cancellation" anyway? This sounds wordsmithed, in that it raises questions for the detail-oriented.

Does it mean that the low-pass filter was removed, or does the camera include deconvolution hardware (or software) to negate such filter?

Jul 28, 2015 at 01:16 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon EOS 5DS for $2,999!

Great deal if you're in the market. Barring any differences between grey/USA (such as on the 6D)... I'd jump at this in a heartbeat if I was in the market for the 5Ds.

Jul 28, 2015 at 02:22 AM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon EOS 5DS for $2,999!

Agree with Justruss - great deal if you're in the market.

Curious, how large are the image files?

Jul 28, 2015 at 07:20 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon EOS 5DS for $2,999!

bvphotos wrote:

Don't think so, this is not a Canon price. This is based on arbitrage (yay I got to use my namesake in a sentence ) situations in the currency markets between US and overseas. These guys can buy in a different currency and sell for a steep discount and still profit in the US.

Edited on Jul 28, 2015 at 07:26 AM · View previous versions

Jul 28, 2015 at 07:23 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon EOS 5DS for $2,999!

sirimiri wrote:
What is "low pass filter cancellation" anyway? This sounds wordsmithed, in that it raises questions for the detail-oriented.

Does it mean that the low-pass filter was removed, or does the camera include deconvolution hardware (or software) to negate such filter?

There is another physical layer that cancels the affect. In my mind I picture it like two polarizers at 90 degrees to each other but I know that isn't anything close to what is actually going on. This is the same as how the D800E worked. Now the D810 has no filter.

The fact that Canon went the D800 route instead of the much more popular current route of no AA filter at all just shows how long the development process likely is. I would surmise that if Canon could redesign the camera right now they would go the D810 route and have no filter but having developed this for a few years or more they were stuck in the design of having filter or cancelling filter. 5DSR MkII will have no AA filter and only one version...you heard it here first...OMG....

Here is an exert from Canon CPS Europe site:
"Rather than physically removing the low-pass filter from the camera in the EOS 5DS R, a cancellation filter is used to negate its effect. This ensures the distance from the lens mount to the sensor is exactly the same for both the EOS 5DS and the EOS 5DS R, allowing the cameras to share the same AF sensor mechanism and mirror box assembly."

Jul 28, 2015 at 07:25 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon EOS 5DS for $2,999!

arbitrage wrote:

5DSR MkII will have no AA filter and only one version...you heard it here first...OMG....

And they'll likely still have 5Ds models remaining in inventory when they release the 5DsR II, for those who don't want the risk of shooting a true no AA filter. Maybe, the 5D4 becomes the bridge to more pixels, with an AA filter, and the 5DsR II is no holds barred, all out, more MP, no AA, detail junkie dream machine.

Jul 28, 2015 at 07:53 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon EOS 5DS for $2,999!

I just found this info that is pretty detailed and direct from Rudy Winston written to Artie Morris to explain the whole system...good detailed read...Note point 10....I think Canon made a big mistake in their forecast or maybe 5DS are still the sales leader but because of the forecast the 5DSR is out in much lower numbers...still Canon was obviously off with the ratio in their forecast based on over supply of 5DS and limited supply of 5DSR at the present time....

The basics are as follows…

1. Canon’s engineers believe strongly that a low-pass filter is an important aid, IN GENERAL, to image quality with digital SLRs. We’ve had one in-place immediately in front of the image sensor on all previous EOS D-SLRs to date.

2. Low-pass filters basically attack problems with false colors and especially occasional moire patterns that can arise when fine, repeating patterns (think of the weave in some fabrics, for instance) begin to line-up with and approach the size/frequency of the patterns of pixels on an image sensor. Low-pass filters work by spreading the incoming light by the width of approximately ONE PIXEL horizontally (left and right), and a second low-pass filter layer does the same vertically, splitting it up and down.

3. This scattering of light in effect produces a slight blurring effect (usually easy to correct with slight Unsharp Mask-type sharpening in the computer, after the fact, or judicious use of the in-camera sharpening via Picture Style control). But the by-product is far less tendency to give psychedelic-looking moire patterns with certain subjects, in certain conditions (and of course, you never see these moire patterns in the viewfinder, before the fact).
(Note: To learn more about moiré and see two good example photos, click here. Moiré is rarely a problem for nature photographers. There are many pronunciations: “mwahr” is the most common and the most widely accepted.)

4. The filter array that includes the two different low-pass filters mentioned above is a part of the optical system, even though it’s sandwiched right up against the front of the imaging sensor. The total filter array includes at least one layer of IR-absorbing glass, a dichroic mirror layer to reflect infrared and UV illumination, and what they call a phase plate, which changes the polarization of incoming light into circular polarization. In other words, it’s a pretty sophisticated optical sandwich, even though to the naked eye it appears as a super-thin layer of glass in front of the sensor.

5. All that said, it is true that if we were to remove the low-pass filter component, in theory, we’d have the potential of greater initial, out-of-the-camera sharpness in many situations. And, it’s definitely true that the moire pattern risk mentioned above won’t occur in the majority of images, unless you were shooting things like fabrics or products with very fine, repeating line patterns on a regular basis. (For the type of bird imaging you normally do, or most landscape applications, I’d guess the risk of moire is pretty much nil most of the time.)

6. As a parenthetical note, these moire patterns, IF they do occur, can usually be moderated or even eliminated in some cases with various image-editing techniques… Photoshop gurus have a multitude of them, and some RAW file processing software now contains anti-moire tools for these occasions. Still, it’s an extra step — sometimes a fairly sophisticated set of them — to reduce or remove moire completely from an image, if it does occur.

7. Because the afore-mentioned low-pass filter array is a part of the optical path, you can’t just remove it — you’d change the effective length of the optical axis, and have to re-design the entire camera body slightly, including the AF system’s optical path, to accommodate such a change. Since Canon made the strategic decision to offer TWO high-resolution cameras, a different technique was needed to achieve removal of the low-pass filter effect, without upsetting the optical system within the camera body. And, without the expense of (in effect) having to design an entirely new camera from scratch, with slightly altered internal dimensions.

8. All that said, here’s what Canon has done: they need two low-pass filter layers in-place to preserve the same optical length within the body. The traditional EOS 5DS of course does just that, with Canon’s typical low-pass filter approach. With the EOS 5DS R, they also have two low-pass filter layers in-place. The first scatters the incoming light by spreading it vertically, similarly to how it’s done in the standard 5DS camera. But the next low-pass filter layer bends the incoming light VERTICALLY again, in the reverse direction — back to ONE single ray path, so the scattered light is effectively “un-scattered” and re-focused into a single optical beam. Thus, the low-pass filter effect is “cancelled.”

9. The result of this cancellation of the low-pass filter effect in the EOS 5DS R is a slight — but noticeable, in many instances — increase in the overall contrast and sharpness of fine detail, lines, and texture in subjects. Canon is clear that photographers need to understand that a by-product of this is a risk of moire patterns appearing occasionally, and that it’s up to the shooter to work with post-processing to limit this effect if and when it happens. But I have no doubt that there would be a bit more detail and texture in things like feather detail in birds, for example. I don’t want to over-state the improvement in sharpness in the EOS 5DS R vs. the standard 5DS model… you can see it when you start magnifying images and look for it, but it’s not an “in-your-face” type of obvious difference that my Mom would immediately spot when viewing on-screen at 100%.

10. Bottom line: we anticipate that the majority of sales of our 50.6 million pixel camera will be the standard 5DS camera, and that in the eyes of most users, the 5DS R will be seen as something of a specialty version. Buy the latter for the right reasons, and it’ll delight you. We just want all potential buyers, and dealer staff, to understand that along with its added initial image sharpness does come a risk of occasional optical imperfections in certain shooting situations. I’ll finish where I started: overall, Canon’s engineers remain very firm that in their opinion, OVERALL digital image quality is enhanced by the use of traditional low-pass filter design in digital SLRs. We’ll let the market be the ultimate judge!

Let me know if you have any other questions, or if any of this is not perfectly clear. Good questions you ask, and it’s up to us here at Canon to make sure every potential customer understands the answers to them! Be well, stay warm!

— Rudy Winston
Canon USA

Jul 28, 2015 at 08:14 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon EOS 5DS for $2,999!

sirimiri wrote:

Rather than literally removing the AA filter components, they are (to keep it simple) still there, but one layer has been rotated 90 degrees to negate the anti-aliasing effect.

There is a manufacturing advantage to this approach. Because the internals are the same thickness, the rest of the camera can be the same whether it is the 5DS or 5Ds R model. By completely removing the AA layers, the internal design would have to be modified.

In my view, this isn't a thing to really care about. The image quality from both version is excellent.

If, as I suspect, the non-AA version of the 5Ds (the 5Ds R) is turning out to be more popular relative to the AA version (the 5Ds) than Canon expected, in the long term I suspect that Canon will eventually will only make a non-AA version of such a camera. This probably won't happen until some future model. That's how it played out with Nikon, who began with the D800//D800e pairing and then moved on to only the non-AA D810.

Despite all the theorizing, a few things seem apparent at this point:

1. Both cameras can produce very high resolution images.

2. The AA filter reduces but does not eliminate the possibility of aliasing effects. Leaving it out does not lead to aliasing effects very often, but it does increase the chances a bit and make the issue more visible, at least at high magnifications.

3. There is now a decent legacy of cameras that have done away with the AA filter completely — from Sony, Nikon, Fujifilm, medium format digital manufacturers. Those who use these cameras are very happy with the results and rarely regard this as a negative.

Dan

Jul 28, 2015 at 09:01 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon EOS 5DS for $2,999!

Thanks for the Canon response, Geoff.

As a long time advocate of (pro's / cons) of a true no AA filter, the explanation given here @ the +vertical / -vertical in #8 catches my attention with a key component to it that is unspoken. In that regard, there is NO horizontal pixel offset occurring as referenced in #2 ... while the vertical is employing a double (reversing) pixel offset.

Jul 28, 2015 at 09:19 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.