New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2015 · 5DsR Availability?

Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5DsR Availability?

Apparently the first run of these bodies took care of those that got on wait lists early. Since then, there seems to be none around for purchase. I am on a list but didn't get one when I hoped. Now there's become another waiting period. Any tips to help me find one?

Jul 27, 2015 at 03:57 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5DsR Availability?

I had the same problem when the 1DS3 came out. I went to a camera store in Coeur d Alene Idaho and they found one for me. Even though they were a small store in a small town, they got it. Sometimes a dealer has more connections.

Jul 27, 2015 at 04:20 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5DsR Availability?

Best Buy via eBay appear to have stock at the moment.

Jul 27, 2015 at 05:07 PM
atodzia
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5DsR Availability?

Best Buy has it in stock on their web site.

Jul 27, 2015 at 05:10 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5DsR Availability?

I was on the bhphoto waiting list for about a day until a friend suggested i call Allens Camera and see if they had one. They had tons of 5ds models but no 5dsr models, but they said that one was coming in the next day. I said ill take it and it shipped the next day.

Might be worth a shot calling Allens. They really came through for me on my 5dsr

This was just last week

Jul 27, 2015 at 08:13 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5DsR Availability?

atodzia wrote:
Best Buy has it in stock on their web site.

I don't know whether or not things have changed, but a few years ago Best Buy was notorious for selling items that they did not really have in stock. You might want to double check with them.

Jul 27, 2015 at 08:43 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5DsR Availability?

Thanks everyone. As luck would have it, the same day I posted this I found one in stock at a dealer. I needed to engage my advanced search and seek skills and it paid of. I should have it by this weekend. I already have purchased two high speed 64GB CF cards, the RRS backet and a couple of spare batteries that have been sitting around my studio for a few weeks. I am RTG!

Jul 27, 2015 at 08:44 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5DsR Availability?

You are going to love this camera. Spare batteries are a great idea, it ain't a 1ds3.
'

Jul 27, 2015 at 08:56 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5DsR Availability?

I second bens advice on extra batteries. It does go through them faster than the last canon body I used (5d2). Also the rrs bracket is great. Had mine hand delivered by a RRS Mechanical Engineer and it works wonderfully.

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:20 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5DsR Availability?

killersnowman wrote:
I second bens advice on extra batteries. It does go through them faster than the last canon body I used (5d2). Also the rrs bracket is great. Had mine hand delivered by a RRS Mechanical Engineer and it works wonderfully.

I "third" this advice. Especially in live view mode, the 5Ds R chews through batteries quite fast.

I also have the RRS bracket. I was not so thrilled when they announced a new design, since I've had previous L-brackets from RRS for the 5D and 5D2 and they performed admirably. That said, the new one is solid and well designed. (There are alternatives, notably from Kirk.)

Dan

Jul 28, 2015 at 12:32 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5DsR Availability?

What battery life does the 5DsR achieve for wildlife?

EBH

Jul 28, 2015 at 12:38 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5DsR Availability?

EB-1 wrote:

Likely the same sort of battery life it achieves for other subjects generally not photographed in live view mode.

Jul 29, 2015 at 10:12 AM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5DsR Availability?

Great non answer answer Dan

gdanmitchell wrote:
Likely the same sort of battery life it achieves for other subjects generally not photographed in live view mode.

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:51 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5DsR Availability?

gdanmitchell wrote:

I thought you were Biffing, that's all.

EBH

Jul 29, 2015 at 07:36 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5DsR Availability?

mitesh wrote:
Best Buy via eBay appear to have stock at the moment.

Yeah, but their battery is only 75%!

Jul 29, 2015 at 07:37 PM
KMSlandscape

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5DsR Availability?

I put a waiting list pre-order at BH about a week ago for the 5DsR. They got a shipment in an my order was filled and shipped yesterday. I got lucky... both BH and Adorama websites indicate they are out of stock again.

Jul 30, 2015 at 09:30 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5DsR Availability?

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

I haven't run through an entire charge yet while shooting that way. I probably won't do that until November or so when I start photographing geese and other migratory birds.

I've been known to exhaust a 5DII battery in a long day of shooting such subjects, and I'm sure that I'll do the same with the 5Ds R. I have four batteries for it. (One reason for that is that I'll be in the Sierra backcountry for more than a week at one point later this summer.)

Dan

Jul 30, 2015 at 09:38 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5DsR Availability?

KMSlandscape wrote:
I put a waiting list pre-order at BH about a week ago for the 5DsR. They got a shipment in an my order was filled and shipped yesterday. I got lucky... both BH and Adorama websites indicate they are out of stock again.

I received an e-mail today that the 5DsR is out of stock, though I don't remember asking to be notified. Perhaps it was back before the original release.

EBH

Jul 30, 2015 at 09:57 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5DsR Availability?

EB-1 wrote:

gdanmitchell wrote:

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

gdanmitchell wrote:
I haven't run through an entire charge yet while shooting that way. I probably won't do that until November or so when I start photographing geese and other migratory birds.

I've been known to exhaust a 5DII battery in a long day of shooting such subjects, and I'm sure that I'll do the same with the 5Ds R. I have four batteries for it. (One reason for that is that I'll be in the Sierra backcountry for more than a week at one point later this summer.)

Dan

I'm not sure how many good batteries I have out of 8-9 total. The battery life drops from 3 to 2 bars fairly early even with few charging cycles.

EBH

Jul 30, 2015 at 10:01 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5DsR Availability?

Regarding batteries...

I use them up. Eventually the lose their ability to hold a full charge, and at some point they aren't worth using any more. However, that interval is far longer than what I would call "a few charging cycles." I don't notice any decline for at least the first year of use and perhaps longer.

I have tried several third party batteries, and I have had no good luck with them since way back when I bought a couple for my original 5D. Since then I have not had one that worked as well as the Canon batteries — they don't hold the same charge (sometimes _far_ from it), some arrive dead, other die soon after I get them. I cannot afford to have unreliable batteries, so I now only buy the Canon batteries.

I believe that the way the new camera indicates charge level may use a different "curve." With my 5DII it seemed that the batteries stayed at four bars for a long time, but once they went to three, they went to 2 in faster than they had gone from 4 to 3, and so on. So far it seems to me that that 5Ds R may provide a more honest report of the rate of charge depletion.

Dan

Jul 30, 2015 at 10:16 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.