Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Wasserschloss Hamburg - before and after

p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wasserschloss Hamburg - before and after

One of my newly processed shot of 2-year old trip to Hamburg, Germany. Finally I have time to check out what I shot there, he-he. Hope you like. Additinal info may be found in the link after the image.
Please feel free to comment and share your experience of visiting Hamburg.

Wasserschloss Hamburg, Germany

IMG_8058_web - Wasserschloss Hamburg by Alex DROP, on Flickr

P.S. Yes, I know that colors are intense but they were there, believe me

P.P.S. I decided adding the original SOOC jpeg version. Please keep in mind that it was shot on 5D (classic) that has got not quite accurate tungsten WB preset. You may find some differences caused by minor healing and cloning.

Edited by Guest on Jul 28, 2015 at 12:15 PM · View previous versions

Jul 27, 2015 at 03:19 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wasserschloss Hamburg - before and after

Very pretty shot, Alex!

I really dig the framing and level of detail.

I'd pull the highlights back some, though, and maybe lose a little off the bottom.

Nice one.

Cheers,

Jeff

Jul 27, 2015 at 03:39 PM
sinizter

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wasserschloss Hamburg - before and after

I like the colours. I agree with beavens about the highlights.

Not sure whether I would take any off the bottom.

Jul 27, 2015 at 05:05 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wasserschloss Hamburg - before and after

The reflections over power the image.

Ted

Jul 27, 2015 at 05:37 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wasserschloss Hamburg - before and after

+1 @ the reflections look a bit much.

Most reflections aren't as strong as the source they are reflecting. These are about even (or maybe a bit more) with the source, and in some places have a nearly pure blue color to them. If they are reflecting the sky, the reflections are a different hue. It is indeed a "pretty" blue, but you may take a look at pulling things back just a tad ... so the reflections aren't as commanding. Of course, if your goal is to have commanding reflections ...

Jul 27, 2015 at 06:43 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wasserschloss Hamburg - before and after

I like it.

Jul 27, 2015 at 07:08 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wasserschloss Hamburg - before and after

Beautiful, aggressively processed in terms of color with Kent (RustyBug) pointing out part of the surreal nature of the blues in the water.
That said,I like it and non-photographers will probably love it! BTW, nicely done on your watermark!

Scott

Jul 27, 2015 at 08:35 PM

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wasserschloss Hamburg - before and after

First of all, I'd like to thank you for your comments and critique that are very helpful.
Secondly, I've already reprocessed the image. I repaired a bit highlights (pitifully they are blown and 5D DR isn't good enough for such an HDR scene), enhanced greens and balanced warm colors. Also I searched for a better framing yet this one seems the best to me.
And lastly, I added the original SOOC jpeg file for some of you curious. Compare the scene and its reflection. I think they are almost identical in saturation and hue (yet not luminosity).

Jul 28, 2015 at 08:18 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wasserschloss Hamburg - before and after

AlexDROP wrote:
P.P.S. I decided adding the original SOOC jpeg version. Please keep in mind that it was shot on 5D (classic) that has got not quite accurate tungsten WB preset.

Gotcha @ mixed WB lighting.

I might suggest processing the image twice ... in different WB. One that is balanced toward the sky (and reflections) and one that is toward the tungsten lighting. Then, you can mask / compost / blend them accordingly to achieve more natural colors (if that is of interest), rather than trying to do it in a single file from a single WB base.

Jul 28, 2015 at 08:32 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.