New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Sodbuster

pixarezzo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sodbuster

Midnight, single light-source (Coleman (gas) lantern directly over the subject's head). Subject is one of the most pleasant people you could meet, but he fiercely guards his privacy (I probably should have asked him if I could post his picture on the inter-web). That's all I'm going to say about the shot - for now. Have at it.

Jul 27, 2015 at 02:23 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sodbuster

Like the backstory.
Scrolled first to the hat and thought even more this would show great character. I could see why you wanted this to work, but with the face deep in shadow and the bright values of the branches alongside the head and shoulder, it just doesn't work for me.
There might be some aggressive processing to consider if this is your only grab, starting with lifting the shadows, exposure on the face, neck, upper shoulders and burning down the bright tones. Or remixing the BW conversion might be a better idea, pulling up the values of the skin.
Want to share the original color?
Scott

Jul 27, 2015 at 09:02 PM
georgetd
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sodbuster

I like the composition pretty well on this, but the lighting just isn't working. You can't see the face, and the oof shrubs are too bright. The whole shot could stand to be brighter as well. I'm not sure the it can be saved. When I tried to pull up the exposure on the face, the noise came up as well, and the face is still shadowed.

Jul 27, 2015 at 09:11 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sodbuster

+1 @ Scott ...

But, I'm a little confused regarding the intent / message of the image. Was it:

A) Here's a pic of a man that I could only shoot in a dimly lit scene, or
B) Here's a pic representing a man that aspires to remain in obscurity, or
C) Other

My gut wants to go with "B" as an intent to retain him in obscurity, yet give us a glimpse of him. But, I'm just not sure if that is it or not.

Without better understanding what your goal(s) / message are ... here's a rough stab at lifting things.

+1 @ sooc

Jul 27, 2015 at 09:12 PM
pixarezzo
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sodbuster

George - I like what you did with the image - except for bringing out the detail in the face.

Rusty - "B" is correct.

BTW, the white 'branches' or 'foliage' are actually a 50-some-odd year accumulation of deer antlers.

Jul 28, 2015 at 03:13 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sodbuster

The composition is fine, but the light is a killer and the other technical aspects need to be tried as accomplices.

Jul 28, 2015 at 04:52 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.