New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Amanda Conquers the Mountain

Evan Baines
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Amanda Conquers the Mountain

Sorry I haven't been as active commenting on here as I should be... its been a hectic few months auditioning for residency positions.

These aren't exactly "high art," but they amused me... shots of my wife out at Mount Rainier National Park. All with the Leica M6, Elmarit 28, Yellow Filter, and Delta 100.

https://41.media.tumblr.com/e433f8e109798bf864147a19e32ffcf7/tumblr_ns5p0iX0pi1thr3pco2_1280.jpg

https://41.media.tumblr.com/55041b1db8085ed76c06c0f2dc5943e5/tumblr_ns5p0iX0pi1thr3pco3_1280.jpg

https://40.media.tumblr.com/625c361123ec7ba526bdcc749c42db7b/tumblr_ns5p0iX0pi1thr3pco1_1280.jpg

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:43 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Amanda Conquers the Mountain

Did you summit? Life at 14k' is certainly interesting, even if it's not The Death Zone that 26k' is.

IMHO, I'd find these images better in color. Yes, I know that Ansel shot in B/W. But as a peak-bagger, I find images that show verdant summer at lower elevation w/ snowcapped-peaks up high to be an awesome contrast.

Jul 27, 2015 at 03:22 PM
neighbourboy
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Amanda Conquers the Mountain

Nice, Evan. I like all of these for different reasons.

1. I love her expression and the distant mountain in the back - I'm guessing Mount Adams.

2. I really like the contrast in both the snow and the clouds and somewhat little person in big environment feel.

3. Again, I really like her expression. I can feel her sense of accomplishment. I also like the clouds around the peak, and how there's just enough of a hole in them to make out Gilbraltar rock. Otherwise, I don't know that I'd recognize where you were, without you telling us.

Are you in WA state now, or just visiting? I'm curious why a yellow filter over say a red or orange? I haven't done much BW shooting and even less with filters, so I was just curious what caused you to choose that.

Thanks for sharing
--David

Jul 27, 2015 at 05:00 PM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Amanda Conquers the Mountain

Cheers guys!

Didn't summit this trip. No time, but one day I will!

Was auditioning in an Emergency Medicine program in WA... just there for a month.

Yellow filters are a good general-purpose outdoor filter. They darken blue skies and give more definition to clouds, they tend to lighten foliage, and they also give realistic skin tones. They tend to increase contrast overall. Back in the day with different emulsions, many said that the only way to get realistic tones from BW was with a yellow or yellow-green filter... and some folks still feel this way. Yellow filters also only cost you one stop of light. Red or orange filters tend to give more dramatic effects (dark or black skies, porcelain skin tones, etc) but are less "realistic" and also cost 2-3 stops of light, which begins to be troublesome with a lower ISO film, smallish apertures, and hand-holding.

I use orange and red filters for some of my landscape stuff, especially with the 4x5... but on the leica yellow is about as far as I usually go.

Jul 27, 2015 at 05:39 PM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Amanda Conquers the Mountain

FWIW, here is a scenic shot with a red filter (and Rollei pseudo IR film) to give you an idea of the stronger effect from a deeper filter.

http://bainesphoto.com/files/gimgs/36_ir-red-1.jpg

Jul 27, 2015 at 06:18 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Amanda Conquers the Mountain

Evan Baines wrote
Was auditioning in an Emergency Medicine program in WA...

You know that Ed Viesturs gave up being a veterinarian to make a career out of mountaineering, right? Plenty of "opportunity" to practice emergency medicine at 26k'+...

In any case, do post more from the Pac NW- rather gorgeous scenery out there. Planning on doing any of the other Cascades?

Jul 27, 2015 at 07:15 PM
neighbourboy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Amanda Conquers the Mountain

Thanks for the info, Evan. That's very good to know. I love that last shot as well. You really got around the park, didn't you? That last one appears like it could have been from Tolmie peak? Did you hike *that* far, that's quite a hike from your first photos!

--David

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:56 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Amanda Conquers the Mountain

Nice shots, Evan.

It must be my Canadian blood, but kept wondering if I was seeing sand or snow in #1 & #2. In colour there would be no doubt.

Jul 28, 2015 at 03:14 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.