Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Question for the Manual Focus people :)

falconbach
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question for the Manual Focus people :)

I'm normally rather terrible at manual focusing but I got the idea if people are using the DOF button to assists visually if the focus is correct.
Then the question came into my mind if it would be bad for the camera to hold DOF button and press the shutter button at the same time.

What are your thoughts on this?

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:38 PM
eSchwab
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question for the Manual Focus people :)

I thought I was terrible at manual focusing too. Then I got a manual focus lens. There is no doubt that manual focusing a manual focus lens is considerably easier than manual focusing an autofocus lens. This includes D lenses and AF-S lenses. Holding down the DOF button will make more of the image in focus. It'll also make the viewfinder darker. Both of these are going to make it harder to get critical focus. It's hard enough with a DSLR that is not meant for manual focusing. Accept that you probably will not be able to accurately focus a fast lens without the use of Live View.
Don't worry about holding down the DOF button when you take the photo, nothing bad is going to happen.

Jul 27, 2015 at 01:12 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question for the Manual Focus people :)

The only time holding down the DOF preview button will help focusing is if the lens suffers from focus shift not covered up by the DOF. Mirrorless cameras with EVFs can gain up when focusing stopped down and have focus peaking so it is less of an issue for them.

Jul 27, 2015 at 01:22 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question for the Manual Focus people :)

I shot manual focus completely for the 20+ years I was shooting full-time. In all those years I doubt I used the depth-of-field button a dozen times.

IMO being able to focus manually well involves using manual focus lenses (because AF lenses have such a narrow arc from infinity to close focus) and a camera with a finder system designed with manual focus in mind. I can focus manually better today with my FM2n and any manual focus lens than I can manually with my D5000 and 18-105 zoom. YMMV

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Jul 27, 2015 at 03:53 PM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question for the Manual Focus people :)

...and then there was zone focusing, eh? People still use it today.

Jul 27, 2015 at 04:00 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question for the Manual Focus people :)

-Get a DK-17m magnifier (if your camera sports the round finder) or DK-21m if it sports the square one.
-Adjust your diopter properly
-Look into aftermarket focusing screen
-Lots of practice.. each MFNG has its own MF feel and you have to learn their quirks

I rarely use the green dot, but it can be helpful sometimes. Live view works well when you have time to compose and focus. You can also do focus bracketing.. basically you fire a few shots while slowly turning the focus ring and one of those will be in perfect focus. I don't use it all the time, but it's useful with super fast primes like the Noct where you have super thin DOF.

Edited on Jul 28, 2015 at 01:52 PM · View previous versions

Jul 27, 2015 at 06:28 PM
cadman342001
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question for the Manual Focus people :)

Options if you struggle to MF using MF lenses

1. Practice
2. Use the Green Dot
3. use live view

99% of my mf work is by eye though and yeah, for example the 135mm f2 AI has a range of 270 degrees from MFD to infinty which makes things a lot more precise

Andy

Jul 27, 2015 at 06:40 PM
shekarn64
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question for the Manual Focus people :)

Buy DK17M (Magnifying eye piece). It helps a lot and when you see the image sharpest in the VF, it is always the perfect focus!

This is one of best accessory I bought!

DK-17M

Jul 27, 2015 at 06:55 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Question for the Manual Focus people :)

+1 that'll help, as will years of practice. Previously mentioned
MF glass is MUCH easier to focus, I've never used DOF preview
with digital DSLR's. You'll get a feel for it if ya do it enough! For
me, was like ridin' a bike (50 yrs of shootin') and I got my mojo
back pretty quickly.

Handheld Zeiss 135 ZF.2

Jul 27, 2015 at 08:11 PM
carlitos
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Question for the Manual Focus people :)

Well I've frequently used the DOF button. Yes the viewfinder darkens, but if you are at f/5.6 or f/8 using the DOF button can let you see what is in focus, and what is out of focus. Leave the focus position at that point. I've pressed the shutter with the DOF button pressed; since the aperture is already at the f-stop it would close down to, the linkage is not really in operation. I don't recommend holding the DOF button down while tripping the shutter, though. Not necessary, so no need to invite trouble.

I will admit, an EVF is probably the better solution.

Jul 27, 2015 at 09:08 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Question for the Manual Focus people :)

I agree with Henry. I have rarely used the DOF button in my career. I usually begin the composition by picking a focus point. I also used MF lenses for many years before AF eventually got good. The split prism focusing screen on my F3HP's was a snap to focus. Part of the composition process is to think about how DOF will effect the image - so I bracket for DOF - it mainly is halves and doubles of light. Open a stop, halve the shutter speed - or stop down and double shutter speed - they're all the same exposure. Just like I bracket for exposure when I know the contrast range is likely too wide. To the OP's question - I doubt it will hurt the camera to shoot with the DOF depressed, but I would read the manual to verify that. Besides - why do that?

Jul 27, 2015 at 09:39 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Question for the Manual Focus people :)

I have reverted back to using a Nikon F3/T with three AiS lenses. I've really not much problem finding focus, although it is harder with my 28mm wide angle than with longer lenses. I often use the DoF preview button with ALL my cameras, including D800E, as I want to know how much will be in focus. Often my subjects are moving and I want to have enough DoF to put the important things in focus, but not give up any more shutter speed (due to stopping down) than I need to. The DoF preview button is still important.

I'll add that on the D800E, even using the AiS lenses it's much harder to manually focus than it is on my F3T.

Kent in SD

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:14 PM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Question for the Manual Focus people :)

I reprogrammed the DoF preview button, as I never used it.

Jul 28, 2015 at 01:27 AM
esquire1954
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Question for the Manual Focus people :)

I was used to the split screen on my FE, since going digital I find my D7100's AF confirmation compared to just using my eye seems to work very well...

Jul 28, 2015 at 09:05 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.