New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Mirrors Backups and Corrupted Files

rscheffler
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Mirrors Backups and Corrupted Files

Thanks. I guess in respect to how I would use the Seagate drives, if I went that route, would be for medium term backups, rather than true archiving. They would be written to, and likely very infrequently modified.

As for tape... where's the best place to research those options and buy? Also, is it easy to integrate into an Apple/Mac system?

And yes, I was very familiar with Zip Drives and their click of death! At their time of popularity it was the only storage system that offered reasonable capacity for the price and was quite popular with the photographers in the newsroom I worked in, until disks started going bad... So everyone went to CD-R, which ended up having its own longer term readability problems. Not to mention poor storage density.

Aug 28, 2015 at 04:02 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Mirrors Backups and Corrupted Files

StorageReview is a good resource for storage technology, including tape. Here's a review of LTO-6 as shipped by HP. Note that the previous generation LTO-5 (1.5TB native per cart) is still cheaper per unit storage.

http://www.storagereview.com/hp_storeever_lto6_ultrium_6250_review_eh970a

Real machines () have Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) inbuilt—my SAS devices are bolted into the case, with cabling to motherboard headers. Consumer PCs have PCIe slots for inexpensive SAS adapters. Current Mac laptops and desksides have neither: all high-speed transfers out of the MacPro or MacBook must go through Thunderbolt. The converters from Thunderbolt host to SAS peripheral add cost and another external box. ATTO products are always overpriced, but competently made:

ATTO product page
As sold by Sparco

A cheaper and more compact product would house a standard half-height 5.25" peripheral with the PCIe/SAS adapter in the same box, with the Thunderbolt connector on the back. Must be out there somewhere...

Aug 28, 2015 at 09:21 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Mirrors Backups and Corrupted Files

Thanks again. A while back I researched external drive arrays and was looking into SAS options. Highpoint has a couple Thunderbolt to SAS external boxes that are somewhat reasonably priced.

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:08 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Mirrors Backups and Corrupted Files

Here is the fully integrated LTO-6 product for Mac desktop from good old B&H for a mere $3600:

Thunderbolt goes into the tape drive, and you get a free SAS out to daisy-chain on the desktop like the olden days of the Macintosh. Note the Thunderbolt interface alone costs $900, showing the "Apple tax" is alive and well. LTO offers a kind of filesystem that OSX supports, so usage is as simple as drag-and-drop.

I own a Windows7/Linux/OSX smorgasbord, and simply back up the MacBook to tape on Linux via ethernet. Pity the OSX devotee: the cheapest LTO solution appears to be two external boxes (thunderbolt/SAS converter, tape drive). All the other integrated boxes are oriented to HDD/SSD RAID, and there is no front access to load tape (or rewritable DVD/Blu-ray for that matter).

Ref:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1069060-REG/mlogic_mtape_tb_mtape_lto_6_tape_drive.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1131943-REG/mlogic_mtape_sas_mtape_lto_6_tape_drive.html

Aug 30, 2015 at 12:18 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Mirrors Backups and Corrupted Files

Cool. The $900 TB up-charge is a stretch by mLOGIC. I could see it being a few hundred more since then I don't need to buy an external expansion box. I'd love to hear their justification for $900.

Back when I was searching for a trayless multi-drive enclosure, one manufacturer I contacted said they won't to Thunderbolt due to the licensing cost. But since then I believe the licensing fee has been reduced?

Aug 30, 2015 at 12:47 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Mirrors Backups and Corrupted Files

rscheffler wrote:
Cool. The $900 TB up-charge is a stretch by mLOGIC. I could see it being a few hundred more since then I don't need to buy an external expansion box. I'd love to hear their justification for $900.

Volume most likely - this isn't going to be a high volume product, as most people (on PC or Mac) simply have no need for SAS. A TB to SAS converter in particular, only caters to the Apple owners and is never going to be a big seller methinks.

Aug 30, 2015 at 03:10 AM
adamx12m
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Mirrors Backups and Corrupted Files

Another NAS to NAS backup article, http://www.blogarithms.com/2014/08/17/a-new-backup-strategy/

Pretty certain symantec backup exec supports tape devices for windows, probably fewer options on mac.
The tapes will outlast the hardware used for those backups.

Aug 30, 2015 at 10:00 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.