Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Further thoughts on the YN600ex RT?

divamum
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Further thoughts on the YN600ex RT?

I see some older threads, but nothing that recent. My Canon flashes are slowly going through death throes (580ex died during a shoot last week - switches on, but it doesn't whine and the pilot light never turns green, so I'm assuming it's toasted) and since I don't have the $ to pony up for a full set of Canon 600's, I'm taking a chance on the Yongnuo version and got 2x 600's plus the trigger. Out of the box they seem fine, but I know reliability has always been an issue with this brand, so I'm wondering what current users think. I bought them via Amazon so can return them, but currently setting them up for a shoot tomorrow and wondering if there are any tripwires I should be aware of. I use them for portraits; like to use HSS when I can (so I can open up apertures), but can work around that if it's a known overheating problem. They have the most current firmware.

I will say that out of the box I'm quite impressed (way better built than the last of their units I handled), but if they're gonig to plotz....

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

PS I still have a 430ex (thanks @byteseller!) and a 430ex II, but even so..........

Jul 27, 2015 at 09:48 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Further thoughts on the YN600ex RT?

divamum wrote:
PS I still have a 430ex (thanks @byteseller!) and a 430ex II, but even so..........

They also make ( or will be) an RT receiver for legacy flashes . May be worth one or 2 of those to get you a couple of extra RT flashes on the cheap

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:33 AM
divamum
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Further thoughts on the YN600ex RT?

Yes, I've seen that - if these play nice when I use them for tomorrow's shoot, I was planning on grabbing a couple. I'm mainly just worried about reliability, which is why I was hoping somebody with more recent units might be able to share their experiences; I know the first firmware batches had some glitches, but it's unclear whether or not those were resolved with the most recent updates.

I'm even thinking it might be worth adding one Canon 600 as a main flash (triggered by the YN trigger which seems terrific so far), using these two as secondary units, and hanging on to the two non-radio flashes as backups/background lights etc on external triggers.

Jul 27, 2015 at 01:28 PM
markshelby
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Further thoughts on the YN600ex RT?

I bought three this spring. I was surprised by the construction, they seem durable and well-made.

One stopped working on my first shoot.

Jul 27, 2015 at 01:48 PM
divamum
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Further thoughts on the YN600ex RT?

^Ugh. This is what I'm afraid of................. Any particular glitch, or just random failure?

Jul 27, 2015 at 01:49 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Further thoughts on the YN600ex RT?

Mine are still going strong. Bought them pretty near release.

Jul 27, 2015 at 02:34 PM
qc_mountain
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Further thoughts on the YN600ex RT?

Got one 3 week ago they seams to be so so..., i shoot outdoors when the sun hit the head of the flash it get warm so is everything that is black it pick up heat even if it not working , after a few flash ( lets say 4 in a row ) it get in Heat protection and stop working for a good 8 minutes or so , this is a bad thing when you need snap's in a hurry ...

you can get maybe at 1/4 power 40 shoot's before it drains all the juice of the battery .Now i run it on a battery pack it helps on the recycling time a bit and the amount of shot's , but sometimes when i power down the flash and power up the battery indicator state's that the battery are empty , i shut it down again and start it again and now it is back to normal again.

So far that is what i have found . Get us some feedback as they behaved on the shoot.

Francois

Jul 27, 2015 at 02:48 PM
connorwyckoff

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Further thoughts on the YN600ex RT?

I did the same thing and bought two of the yn600ex-rt flashes and a receiver to save some money. So far mine have worked pretty well except for a few things. They go through the batteries very quick, get hot easily, and neither were shipped with the most up-to-date firmware (I bought them from b&h). On my first shoot one kept turning off for no reason, but the other worked fine. I updated them the next day and since then I haven't had any issues.

Jul 27, 2015 at 03:16 PM
divamum
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Further thoughts on the YN600ex RT?

So had my first session with them. Overall, I give them an A. There were a couple of no-fires for reasons unknown and one glitch 100% due to user error (towards the end of the session I must have pushed a wrong button and somehow managed to set BOTH flashes on B ) I'd had them as A, B in manual so I could adjust power as needed from camera - I couldn't figure out what I'd done wrong so just used one light (which actually worked out fine so was no biggie). When I checked afterwards, it was immediately clear what I had done. I do wish there were a "light" button somewhere far away from the function buttons so I could switch on the LCD without messing something up like I did!

I can't ever imagine going back to separate flashes and triggers. Having them all-in-one is STUPIDLY convenient, requires 4x rather than 6x cells per unit, and makes them way easier to control. I think I will probably try to get on Canon 600 on sale (or wait for the new 400RT- series to arrive) so I have one that I'm pretty sure will keep working no matter what, and will add another YN. That gives me 4x flashes and the trigger (which rumor has it is pretty reliable? Worked great this time out) which would hopefully be enough back-up. And given that @ $125 a unit it takes 4 YN to pay for 1 Canon... If the prices were closer (ie Canon, drop down to realistic!) I'd just buy all Canon, but they aren't, which does change the rules somewhat.

Bottom line, I'm pretty impressed. Now they just need to KEEP working

Jul 30, 2015 at 10:42 AM
qc_mountain
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Further thoughts on the YN600ex RT?

I am glad that it worked well for you , i am waiting a bit more to see if the behave nicely , if so i'll buy some more.... at that price you would get a Dead O.E.M. flash lol , you cant go wrong on that.

Francois

Jul 30, 2015 at 11:54 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Further thoughts on the YN600ex RT?

OK so I see the price you paid and I must admit I thought they were more than that .

so I have a gander at Amazon UK . Only interested in Prime (I'm a member) as that has always been a headache free shopping experience .

and Holly cr@p I can't believe the prices

YN 600RT = £84
YN STE3 = £74
YN E3 RX = £37 (I believe this allows you to trigger older EX heads in an RT environment )

Just looking at the canon 600RT its £375 !!!!

I think I may well invest in a couple of YN flashes + the trigger and the receiver (to keep my 580ex going) .

does anyone know if YN have a 430 EX size flash ? as Id also like a smaller flash when I just need an onboard flash or do I have to go with the canon one for that . My guess is the new RT version will be a tad over budget

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:12 PM
divamum
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Further thoughts on the YN600ex RT?

Yes, I am also considering a couple of the receivers to use my remaining two "legacy" Canon flashes. They more-or-less worked with the optical triggers I used, but they're not wonderfully reliable like that.

Jul 31, 2015 at 07:41 AM
divamum
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Further thoughts on the YN600ex RT?

Used them again today. Forgot that I have to change from M>Ettl on the trigger as well as the flash itself, but they still worked great. Learning curve for sure, but they're delivering!

Jul 31, 2015 at 08:43 PM
qc_mountain
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Further thoughts on the YN600ex RT?

Look's like they are keeper's i'll be ordering some other for sure , the price can't be beat.

Francois

Aug 02, 2015 at 10:46 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.