New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Some advice please...now with links that work

aussiepilot

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Some advice please...now with links that work

I have this project which entails including the name on the helicopter with the background hospital name. When I landed, the sun wasn't in an ideal location (nearly vertical and slightly on the other side of the helicopter). Unfortunately that can't be helped with these shots, but maybe the framing can. If I get a call to the hospital later in the day, the sun would be in a much better position, but that's not up to me.....I get called when I get called.

I've tried some corrections to bring out the detail in the shadows. I'd appreciate any input on how framing and post processing could be improved.

Thanks for your time!

http://images42.fotki.com/v694/photos/2/3373942/13772858/N103CFYRMC_1small-vi.jpg

http://images46.fotki.com/v677/photos/2/3373942/13772858/N103CFYRMC_2small-vi.jpg

http://images42.fotki.com/v693/photos/2/3373942/13772858/N103CFYRMC_3small-vi.jpg

Jul 26, 2015 at 06:44 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Some advice please...now with links that work

Out of the set I am feeling #2 the most. It's got the helicopter with the most weight in the scene, the hospital name is clearly visible in the background and the ambulance area helps kick in the impact of the shot.

You'll want to adjust the counterclockwise lean. At the same time the ambulance could detract from the airborne medical message that you're trying to capture, with the land vehicles being in sight.

If that's the case then I would say go with #1 with a crop similar to #2.

Actually, the more I look at this the more I prefer #1 with #2's crop.

Cheers and ramblings,

Jeff

Jul 26, 2015 at 09:15 PM
aussiepilot

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Some advice please...now with links that work

Thanks for your suggestion, Jeff. On mobile now, but I'll give that a try in the morning.

Mick

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:11 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Some advice please...now with links that work

+1 @ Jeff,

Maybe a few more thoughts about what your goals are for the image ... i.e. ambulance signage, vehicles, full view of helicopter vs. abstract, etc.

There is a bit of a "Chineses Handcuff's" thing going on here. Pull back to get a nice view of the helicopter / building and you come up short on the text message. Come up strong on the text message and you come away with an abstract of the helicopter.

In that regard, I'd ask what is the PRIMARY objective for the image and what are your sacrificial elements? Are you going to be using ONLY one image, or will you be able to use more than one for a "story"? Is this to promote the hospital, or the service? The last question @ hospital vs. service likely holds the key to your other answers. I realize that "both" are desired, but which one is it really for?

Jul 27, 2015 at 06:42 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Some advice please...now with links that work

+1 @ Jeff's suggestion of a tighter crop of image #1 but as Kent pointed out, the desired message will be the determining factor here.

Dave

Jul 27, 2015 at 08:58 AM
aussiepilot

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Some advice please...now with links that work

Thanks for your replies Rustybug and Dave.

I favor the cropped image too, but wasn't sure if losing the tail of the helicopter is an acceptable sacrifice. The primary objective is to associate the helicopter with the hospital, so having both names clearly visible in the image is important. When I took the shots, I thought the ambulances would add to the image but after reading your comments I now realize it's actually does distract from the message as Jeff pointed out. I'll go with the cropped of #1.

Thanks again!

Mick

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:12 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Some advice please...now with links that work

In a good portrait you don't need to show the whole body to show what you need to say about the person. In the same way you don't need to show the whole aircraft to say what you want to say about the aircraft. More can dilute the message.

Jul 27, 2015 at 02:43 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.