New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Distressing 7D MkI malfunctioning

Wolfgangerl

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Distressing 7D MkI malfunctioning

I recently bought a used 7d mark I as a back-up. For the first two days, I had a Sigma 70-200 2.8 attached. Worked beautifully. When I switched to a 24-105 L Canon lens ... camera function ground to a near halt. Nothing has been the same since. Specifically, the camera only functions in AUTO mode. All other settings are a mess. For instance, in manual you might find that you can set the shutter speed but you will simultaneously be setting the ISO. Whatever you might do in manual, it's immaterial because the camera won't fire anyway. In fact, virtually none of the functions or buttons will even work, including MENU and the others. Only in AUTO.

In settings other than AUTO, when I turn the lens to MF, some of the buttons come to life, but the camera ultimately will not fire anyway.

When I attach an old FD manual focus 50 mm 1.8 lens, everything works.

Thus far I have, to no avail:
-Removed the battery, lens, backup battery, CF card then put them back in;
-Cleared camera settings;
-Replaced the backup battery;
-Tried to reload the up-to-date firmware but it tells me I don't have the permission;
-Done every other suggested trick.

I do apologize to forum posters if this is redundant; I did search this forum for related posts and didn't find anything.

What I'm trying to find out is whether others here are familiar with this nightmare, and if so, whether there is a solution-- even if it's sending it to Canon. In short, is this familiar to you and if so, is it fixable?

Jul 26, 2015 at 02:14 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Distressing 7D MkI malfunctioning

Return it?

Jul 26, 2015 at 02:25 AM
Wolfgangerl

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Distressing 7D MkI malfunctioning

Returning it is not an option.

Jul 26, 2015 at 03:10 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Distressing 7D MkI malfunctioning

If it works with an FD lens then it seems to be something with the lens contacts that is shorting out. I assume it will work fine without any lens too?

Have you cleaned the lens contacts on the camera? (I expect you have)

Otherwise it's a trip to Canon or a local repairer I would say

Jul 26, 2015 at 03:18 AM
Wolfgangerl

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Distressing 7D MkI malfunctioning

Yes, you're correct in that it works fine without any lens. The contacts on the camera have been cleaned and nothing came of it. It would seem the contacts are the problem. I am very grateful for your insight, thank you very much.

Jul 26, 2015 at 07:24 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Distressing 7D MkI malfunctioning

Wolfgangerl wrote:
Yes, you're correct in that it works fine without any lens. The contacts on the camera have been cleaned and nothing came of it. It would seem the contacts are the problem. I am very grateful for your insight, thank you very much.

Beyond that - and trying some different Canon EF lenses I haven't anything to suggest, you appear to have done it all.

There is a known error with the 24-105L giving error messages (error 1 I think, may be wrong) but it looks like the lens has cocked-up the body

Jul 26, 2015 at 09:11 AM
Andrew J
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Distressing 7D MkI malfunctioning

Sounds like the known loose screw issue. Once the screw comes loose it shorts out something in the camera causing all types of trouble. I had it twice and know 10 others who had it also.

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:23 AM
Wolfgangerl

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Distressing 7D MkI malfunctioning

Andrew J wrote:
Sounds like the known loose screw issue. Once the screw comes loose it shorts out something in the camera causing all types of trouble. I had it twice and know 10 others who had it also.

If this is what it is, what's the prognosis? I suppose it's not as simple as tightening a loose screw to make everything OK again ...

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:41 AM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Distressing 7D MkI malfunctioning

You can google it and fix yourself or Canon will for about $240. I don't know the 3rd party repair pricing for this.
https://surl.im/XsiL

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:04 AM
Wolfgangerl

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Distressing 7D MkI malfunctioning

Unfortunately after removing the bottom plate I found the screw in question to be perfectly in place, so that isn't the problem. This blows.

Jul 26, 2015 at 04:37 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Distressing 7D MkI malfunctioning

It sounds like an expensive repair job, like a replacement PCB but you won't find out for sure until you spend money getting an estimate.

Buying used equipment in private deals can be risky. How much did you pay for the camera?

Jul 26, 2015 at 05:04 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Distressing 7D MkI malfunctioning

Wolfgangerl wrote:
Unfortunately after removing the bottom plate I found the screw in question to be perfectly in place, so that isn't the problem. This blows.

Sorry that didn't do it. Have you tried another battery? A battery with a bad cell might not have enough juice to power an AF lens but maybe a manual one.
For firmware you must have it in the root directory of the card, not in folders.

Jul 26, 2015 at 05:15 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Distressing 7D MkI malfunctioning

Its certainly fixable. Canon has a minimum fee for standard repairs, if its a really major item, they will charge more.

Based on your description, its likely covered by the standard fee.

Send it in, and try to get the seller to help you out. He likely had a inkling that something was happening, but failures do happen. I once sold a 5 month old 30D that failed in a week. My dealer sent it to canon and they fixed it. It turned out to be the buyers CF card was bad and blew the power supply. I had supplied a good one with the camera, and when the buyers card was installed, it went pop!

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:15 PM
Wolfgangerl

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Distressing 7D MkI malfunctioning

Quick follow-up: today it's working. What did I do? Nothing. It's like when I was in college learning how to break down syllables in Latin poetry; one night I didn't get it, went to sleep, and when I woke up I got it. The AF is not quite what it could be in manual mode but certainly functional. We'll see what tomorrow brings but right now, it's working.

Regarding the seller, he has been outstanding, cooperative and helpful, and offered a full refund, among other things. But I think, like scalesusa intimated, that it at least has a bit to do with having changed hands, and ultimately, caveat emptor.

Jul 28, 2015 at 12:59 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Distressing 7D MkI malfunctioning

Wolfgangerl wrote:
Quick follow-up: today it's working. What did I do? Nothing. It's like when I was in college learning how to break down syllables in Latin poetry; one night I didn't get it, went to sleep, and when I woke up I got it. The AF is not quite what it could be in manual mode but certainly functional. We'll see what tomorrow brings but right now, it's working.

Regarding the seller, he has been outstanding, cooperative and helpful, and offered a full refund, among other things. But I think, like scalesusa intimated, that it at least has a bit to
...Show more

Good news! However, if it happens once, it can happen again. Intermittent issues are the bane of servicemen, because somehow, it always is working for them, and they are not going to put 100 or more shutter actuations on the camera just to see what happens.

Cameras need to record failure events in a service memory so a service man can have at least a chance to see if a component was acting up.

I hope it never happens again, but I'd be worried that it would die just at a critical moment.

Jul 28, 2015 at 10:54 PM
Wolfgangerl

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Distressing 7D MkI malfunctioning

I absolutely agree with you, and I do feel like I'm a little bit on borrowed time. So far so good since the camera suddenly began working properly but you're right, I really should have it checked out anyway.

Jul 31, 2015 at 11:25 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.