Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · St. Louis Brown Stockings ...

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · St. Louis Brown Stockings ...

vs. the Indianapolis Hoosiers.

Vintage baseball from 1860's. I found these in a field, now I understand why we call it a "bag" ... because it really was a bag. And check out that "backstop" and the stitching on that ball.

Jul 25, 2015 at 09:51 PM
mikekeating
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · St. Louis Brown Stockings ...

Very cool looking.

Nike is about a hundred years older than I thought

Jul 26, 2015 at 07:32 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · St. Louis Brown Stockings ...

mikekeating wrote:
Very cool looking.

Nike is about a hundred years older than I thought

Thanks Mike.

Yeah, I caught that too. I think some extra pine tar / shoe polish could fix that though.

Wish I would have had more time to spend the day with these guys (tournament), but I was just passing through.
Without a doubt, the most fun I've had watching the game in a really long time ... who'da thunk it.

Jul 26, 2015 at 07:43 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · St. Louis Brown Stockings ...

Good eye, Mike - I didn't even pick up on the footwear!

Digging the captures and processing, Kent. Some old, faded sepia is perfect for these shots.

Some nice action shots in 1 and 3. Wish that fence was either level or better yet not even there (doubt they would appreciate the demolition ) in 2, but I like the hurler/batter relationship. 4 could use a bit more space IMO.

If you want a laugh, check out this great bit by Conan O'Brien from a while back:

Cheers!

Jeff

Jul 26, 2015 at 08:07 AM
mikekeating
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · St. Louis Brown Stockings ...

Probably, they do a great job with the uniforms and the bases and balls.

They did such a great job and the processing is spot on that I actually believed they were scanned found files.

Jul 26, 2015 at 08:15 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · St. Louis Brown Stockings ...

Jeff,

I could have squared up the backstop shot a bit more, but it was intended to be in the scene to reveal what they use for a backstop ... just a few fence boards for a portable backstop they can throw up in a field anywhere. Also, since my goal for the shots was to hopefully emulate something actually shot from the era, some imperfection was intentional. I may go back and revisit the rotation / skew on it, but I was just tossing them up pretty quick.

My fav though is the one with the kids in the background, but the others tell their parts of the story too. Getting angles that didn't have any modern things (like lawn chairs) in the background was a bit restrictive. The cargo shorts of the kids don't give away the era, but they still show the proximity others had to the game. Of course, the boys are looking away at other things, but I still dig them in it. Also, my fav for the processing on the striker.

+1 @ the bag (#4) could be better, but this was literally the last out of the game and sadly, I didn't think about it before.

Mike,

"found files" ... that was my objective, so I truly appreciate that. Of course, the safety glasses and the "Swooosh" kinda tell on things a bit, but yes they did an amazing job with the uniforms and omg ... that baseball stitching and the bag. Anyway, I can assure you it won't be my last attendance at a vintage ballgame. They played the game in character as a Gentleman's game. Way better than watching a Civil War re-enactment, imo.

Edited on Jul 26, 2015 at 10:16 AM · View previous versions

Jul 26, 2015 at 09:48 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · St. Louis Brown Stockings ...

Again my lack of reading comp gets me - did not put together that the "fence" was the backstop.

+1 to kids in the background. Did they have any stands set up?

Jul 26, 2015 at 09:53 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · St. Louis Brown Stockings ...

Nope, no stands.

Just playin' ball in any old open grass field. Bring a blanket, have a picnic and watch the game ... priceless.

Conan ... too funny.

Jul 26, 2015 at 09:58 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · St. Louis Brown Stockings ...

Nice catch Kent. The eyeglasses in the first image were the tell for me though, never noticed the shoes.

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:13 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · St. Louis Brown Stockings ...

These are all great Kent! Image #3 is fantastic with the kids in the BG.

I didn't catch the shoes or glasses either but the tell tail sign to me that these are "new" vintage shots is that your images are too sharp. Go figure right! We strive so hard to always nail the shot as best we can but in this case I think a little post work could make them even more "found" vintage.

I dig what you were after with the tilted fence but that was the first thing my eyes went to. I like the idea of keeping it there but maybe not quite so far out of kilter?

Nice set Kent. I enjoyed seeing these.

Dave

Jul 27, 2015 at 09:28 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · St. Louis Brown Stockings ...

+1 @ too sharp (for the period).

I'm thinking about using #3 with the kids for competition, so I might have to dial it down just a touch to get the emulation. Of course, then I'll get gigged by some judge for it being too soft.

Jul 27, 2015 at 09:31 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · St. Louis Brown Stockings ...

By the way, good timing with the bat and ball frozen in place. That is also another possible tell. It would have taken great skill and fast film to catch that back in the day.

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:27 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · St. Louis Brown Stockings ...

ben egbert wrote:
By the way, good timing with the bat and ball frozen in place. That is also another possible tell. It would have taken great skill and fast film to catch that back in the day.

Now THAT is a GREAT catch.

I don't know if the technology (film speed / shutter speed) of the day could have done that.

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:15 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · St. Louis Brown Stockings ...

Kent:

The Sports portfolio on FM in my opinion is to highlight action and emotion in a sporting event. I am sorry but in my eyes your images are sorely lacking in both.

1. Your best in terms of IQ but, absolutely zero action/emotion.
2. The horizon appears off and zero action, zero emotion.
3. The batter is swinging, two kids in the right bg kill the image.
4. A pillow a base, the image...see 1-3.

I apologize in advance if I have offended you. Just posting my opinions.

Ted

Jul 27, 2015 at 05:18 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · St. Louis Brown Stockings ...

Ted,

No worries, no apology needed.

The subject matter is a very atypical sporting event, so it is the atypical aspects that I was trying to present in this selection to denote the heritage of the game. I did aspire to present some action, i.e. the hurler & the striker, as well as the emotion (focused), but both are somewhat inherently subdued.

Played in character as a "Gentleman's game" ... it is just a bit different from what you might expect compared to contemporary emotives. Also, something about 40-60 year old men, trying to run on a grass field while wearing knickers (or whatever the correct term is for those pants) ... well, "action" is a very relative term.

Thanks for the perspective.

Jul 27, 2015 at 06:10 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.