Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2015 · [DISCUSSION] UV Filter or NO UV Filter?

mraltoid

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · [DISCUSSION] UV Filter or NO UV Filter?

Hey FM community -

Surprised no one brought this up yet or maybe I didn't dig deep enough...

I've been reading up on UV filters and various UV filters having multi-coating to keep the authenticity / enhancing elements of the photo, etc but then again I hear that UV filters truly do NOT even help at all other than just protecting the lens with slight variable difference.

They are fairly cheap and ranging from $20-50~ avg with different brand names, etc.

PROS:

1. Potentially help photos(?)
  2. Protect lens

CONS:

1. Doesn't even help photos at all
  2. Waste of money

Just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts are about this topic.

UV Filter / Multi-Coated: YAY or Nay?

Jul 25, 2015 at 09:40 PM
molson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · [DISCUSSION] UV Filter or NO UV Filter?

mraltoid wrote:
Hey FM community -

Maybe you didn't dig at all...

Jul 25, 2015 at 09:46 PM
mraltoid

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · [DISCUSSION] UV Filter or NO UV Filter?

molson wrote:

Haha I swear I don't see any forum post like this! Just more products and stuff.

Jul 25, 2015 at 09:50 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · [DISCUSSION] UV Filter or NO UV Filter?

mraltoid wrote:
Hey FM community -

molson wrote:

mraltoid wrote:
Haha I swear I don't see any forum post like this! Just more products and stuff.

Digging is easy...

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1318287/0
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1335039/0
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1359509/0
And finally a comparison:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1369287/0
There may be more, Google site search seems to be broken, I'm getting 404's.

As for me, I used to use them on all my Canon EF L's to complete the weather protection, these days if I were to go back to AF lenses I'd only get the clear protection lenses, and they'd likely be B+W multi coated, at the moment, I don't use anything unless it's for creative reasons.

Edited on Jul 25, 2015 at 10:16 PM · View previous versions

Jul 25, 2015 at 10:09 PM
mraltoid

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · [DISCUSSION] UV Filter or NO UV Filter?

LightShow wrote:
Digging is easy...

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1318287/0
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1335039/0
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1359509/0
And finally a comparison:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1369287/0
There may be more, Google site search seems to be broken, I'm getting 404's.

Whoa, thank you for this. This is much more detailed than I thought.

Jul 25, 2015 at 10:14 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · [DISCUSSION] UV Filter or NO UV Filter?

When searching, you have to change the time period from the default 3 months to anytime, but even doing this seems to ignore the archive, the Google site search will pull up any post with the search terms, I usually go to that if I don't find what I'm looking for.

Jul 25, 2015 at 10:20 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · [DISCUSSION] UV Filter or NO UV Filter?

Be it on my $100 lenses, my $2000 lenses, or my $3000 lenses, I never have once put on a UV filter on any lens.

Never have, never will.

Jul 25, 2015 at 11:55 PM
JohnJ
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · [DISCUSSION] UV Filter or NO UV Filter?

I'd like to point out the old adage that polite conversation should not include talk of politics, religion or UV filters?

Can entire threads on FM be blocked or ignored?

Jul 26, 2015 at 12:34 AM
Reagan
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · [DISCUSSION] UV Filter or NO UV Filter?

I use them because I shoot near the ocean and it keeps the salt spray off the glass
I also wipe the lens and camera down after being near the ocean
Just my 2

Reagan

Jul 26, 2015 at 01:36 AM
Alexluu627
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · [DISCUSSION] UV Filter or NO UV Filter?

You buy uv filters so that your lens doesn't get scratch and then you could resale putting the tag "brand new" "installed filter since day one". That's the only point of having a uv filter on it. It doesn't protect your lens nor does it make the pictures worse... If you're gonna damage your lens it's usually when you drop it and the lens is totally screwed from the inside or you screw up the outside. Also shooting at the beach... The sand usually gets under the filter somehow and you stare at it looking stupid to not knowing how it gets there. It's the beach... Sand is always gonna get into places you don't understand. Do I spend money on uv filters?!? Yes.... Lol

Jul 26, 2015 at 02:25 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JohnJ
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · [DISCUSSION] UV Filter or NO UV Filter?

molson wrote:
That would be nice...

For now I guess adding the OP to the "ignore" list will have to suffice.

Sorry to the OP, I meant no offence.

These 'UV filter' threads, regardless of the forum, often degenerate into extreme views which I rarely find useful. Occasionally some one produces careful and considered tests or comparisons which show the optical differences or problems caused by filters, and that's great. However, you will never get a reasonable view on the protective qualities of UV filters because it really comes down to peoples preferences or opinions and as we all know, opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one and everyone elses stinks.

Jul 26, 2015 at 02:35 AM
dthrog00
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · [DISCUSSION] UV Filter or NO UV Filter?

Good lenses for me cost enough that I want to protect them as well as reasonably possible. I don't buy UV filters, but do buy multi-coated lens protect (clear) filters for lenses over $500.

Dave

Jul 26, 2015 at 02:51 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · [DISCUSSION] UV Filter or NO UV Filter?

Despite shooting in the very worst weather the Dakotas can dish out for the past 25 years, I've never once had a lens damaged because it didn't have a filter on it. (I use lens cap and lens hood for protection--they work.) Have had a lens damaged when lens dropped, filter shattered, and the shards of glass destroyed my front element. No, I don't use filters for "protection." Too risky. Also can cause veiling flare in many of my photos.

As for UV filters actually DOING anything, not on modern cameras. Once upon a time they did soak up excess UV light, back when we shot b&w film, and when taking photos at high altitude. Otherwise, waste of money.

Kent in SD

Jul 26, 2015 at 03:05 AM
JonPB
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · [DISCUSSION] UV Filter or NO UV Filter?

Is there a way to get a UV filter umbrella? My lady could probably make good use of that.

Cheers,
Jon

Jul 26, 2015 at 03:18 AM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · [DISCUSSION] UV Filter or NO UV Filter?

mraltoid wrote:

I guess the search function is broken...
Google still works, though.

Jul 26, 2015 at 08:04 AM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · [DISCUSSION] UV Filter or NO UV Filter?

I use one in environments which can be hazardous to my lens. This includes when I'm at the beach with blowing sea spray along with fine sand, desert environments again with fine grit and when shooting rodeos where rocks are kicked up and thrown at the lens.

I've never really noticed any degradation in my images using a UV filter...but I'm sure there is some.

Jul 26, 2015 at 12:32 PM
lexvo
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · [DISCUSSION] UV Filter or NO UV Filter?

I stopped using UV filters. For digital UV filtering isn't necessary and I have doubts about the protection value. YMMV.

Jul 26, 2015 at 01:34 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · [DISCUSSION] UV Filter or NO UV Filter?

Like Harry (chez), I use UV/Clear filters in a hazardous environment. OTOH, I don't use them when shooting paintball, because it's safer for the lens if you don't.

Jul 26, 2015 at 02:13 PM
rsrsrs
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · [DISCUSSION] UV Filter or NO UV Filter?

i use protect filter and after an lens accident i m very happy that my contax front lens did not crash like the
filter in front of it.
and with the 0,5% pictures where it would be better without it, i can live ith it ...
r-)

Jul 26, 2015 at 04:13 PM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · [DISCUSSION] UV Filter or NO UV Filter?

For sure there are moments when protection / UV cut filters in front of a lens help, for example when sand is sprayed around, or much dirt.

On other occassions the back reflection from the filter is a quite clear indicator not to use such a filter: Night photography, photography with sun or sun reflections in the image or near the image.
Cause the sun is much brighter than the normal objects, even good filters can result in visible back reflections.

Other ways to ruin images with filters are for example long or fast lenses, like the EF 100-400, there one can analyize the filter planarity quality - that lens + filter gives somtimes bad sharpness, and I suppose some users gave back / sold this lens because of the bad filter :-)
With lenses like 200/2.8 one can somtimes see a bad filter quality in the bokeh.

I normaly do not use filters, only when I need a filter fo a reason for few images. UV-filter for UV photography, IR filter for IR photography, and UV cut filter for protection or when I want to get some more reflections.

BTW: I do not trust filter as an impact protection. The filter ring itself could help, but the 2mm glass breaks much more easily than the thick lens. But a broken fitler could easily scratch glass.

Regarding the cleaning: For sure a filter is an additional barrier for protection. This could help. But it is not easy to scratch modern lenses - at least lenses without nano coating!

Jul 26, 2015 at 07:18 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password