Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Why are FM linked images soft compared to Flickr?

jfwoodman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Why are FM linked images soft compared to Flickr?

I can't figure this out...when I copy BB code links of images from Flickr and paste in a post here, the images are much softer in FM. Tried all kinds of different things, but they always look worse on FM. Frustrating.

Here is a recent post of images on the Nature forum, and a link to the Flickr album where they originated. It's pretty easy to see the difference in sharpness when you toggle between the two. Perhaps Flickr just has better compression?

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1377520

Flickr Whales

Anyone come up with a solution on this issue?

Jim

Jul 25, 2015 at 01:47 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Why are FM linked images soft compared to Flickr?

Unless I am working this wrong, the hopping back and forth is not doing any good in comparing.
Why don't you post side by side views instead....I don't see that FM is softer..
Dizzing
Great whale captures!
Dan

Jul 26, 2015 at 08:48 AM
jfwoodman
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Why are FM linked images soft compared to Flickr?

Danpbphoto wrote:
Unless I am working this wrong, the hopping back and forth is not doing any good in comparing.
Why don't you post side by side views instead....I don't see that FM is softer..
Dizzing
Great whale captures!
Dan

Thanks for trying Dan, and sorry to make you dizzy
Challenge is actually showing side by side here. If I could figure out how to show what's truly on Flickr here within FM, I would have the problem solved. How would you do that
It's pretty easy to see when comparing the spray/water droplets, sharp and defined on Flickr, soft here on FM.

Jul 26, 2015 at 09:05 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Why are FM linked images soft compared to Flickr?

Believe me I know that but someone did it here awhile back..I can't remember how he did it.....Maybe someone will see this and respond with a "how to"......
The image's are different when I view them but having to switch back-n-forth causes me to loose the perspective of proper comparison.....which at 68 that is my excuse .
These are some of the finest whale action images i have ever seen bar none, Nat Geo included!
If they are a tad soft on either, personally what the printed result or presented to publisher result would be is all I would not be concerned with. But that is just my old farts perspective!!
Dan

Jul 26, 2015 at 09:20 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Why are FM linked images soft compared to Flickr?

The FM limits for file size and image size of uploaded files have just recently today) been well-articulated and documented in the FAQ. See,

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1377385/4#13121071

When uploaded image files exceed the limit for image size or file size, the FM site automatically downsizes the image file to be within the limits. I suspect this also happens for linked files. If you want to know for sure, ask Fred.

Jul 26, 2015 at 03:44 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Why are FM linked images soft compared to Flickr?

Funny, I always thought Flickr images looked like crap.
Stay within the confines of Fred's limits...and pics look awesome here.

Jul 27, 2015 at 06:58 AM
jfwoodman
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Why are FM linked images soft compared to Flickr?

jcolwell wrote:
The FM limits for file size and image size of uploaded files have just recently today) been well-articulated and documented in the FAQ. See,

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1377385/4#13121071

When uploaded image files exceed the limit for image size or file size, the FM site automatically downsizes the image file to be within the limits. I suspect this also happens for linked files. If you want to know for sure, ask Fred.

Thanks, that's a useful read. Some of the comments posted regarding processes for sharpening etc, or "actions" etc to prepare images for uploading are more than I care to take on. Perhaps you have to, as I can't seem to downsize mine to less than 1MB in a way that looks comparable to my RAWs or even what's showing on Flickr or SmugMug. My images hosted on those sites look much closer to my RAW images than anything I post here. It must be lack of PP skill / file prep effort on my part, as others don't seem to have this problem. I will ask Fred if this site does downsize these linked images.

Jul 28, 2015 at 11:50 AM
jfwoodman
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Why are FM linked images soft compared to Flickr?

trenchmonkey wrote:
Funny, I always thought Flickr images looked like crap.
Stay within the confines of Fred's limits...and pics look awesome here.

Not for me...must be user error on my end.

Jul 28, 2015 at 11:51 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.