Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Triple Falls, Ar.- The crop is difficult for me!

rxgolf
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Triple Falls, Ar.- The crop is difficult for me!

I really struggle with the crop on these shots. I feel like I need the rocks at the bottom to lead me into the shot, but then I feel like the top could use more space too?
Any thoughts are welcomed!
Greg

Jul 25, 2015 at 01:19 PM
Dougo
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Triple Falls, Ar.- The crop is difficult for me!

I think the composition works very well, however for me I am not sure about the toning, a straight B&W may look better INHO

Cheers Ray

Jul 25, 2015 at 04:47 PM
mrchile
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Triple Falls, Ar.- The crop is difficult for me!

First, crop is probably the wrong term to use.
Cropping is what you do to an image after you take it, to eliminate distracting areas to achieve a stronger composition.
Framing is what you do with the camera as you take the picture to achieve the desired composition.
If you can't get everything you want in a single frame, consider taking several frames that would include all the parts you want and combine them into one image with panoramic stitching software.
I like the way you did this with one frame, but I see what you mean about having more at the top.
A couple of stacked frames would help you get that.

Jul 26, 2015 at 09:37 PM
rxgolf
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Triple Falls, Ar.- The crop is difficult for me!

Good advice,,,something to try for sure.
Thank you,
Greg

Jul 29, 2015 at 05:15 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Triple Falls, Ar.- The crop is difficult for me!

Rotate the camera and shoot vertical. That would put the rocks in the foreground, lead the eye up and in to the falls, and probably give you some more room at the top of the falls.

But forme, that would eliminate the distractions on the right and left...the trees in the right in particular have so much texture and are light enough that the eye keeps jumping to them...yet they don't feel like the should do that. Were they light colored and in the conversion you selectively brightened them?

Jul 29, 2015 at 04:08 PM
rxgolf
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Triple Falls, Ar.- The crop is difficult for me!

Travis, that really makes a lot of sense. My eye rarely likes that orientation but this shot begs for it.
You are exactly right!!!! Next time...and thank you.
The trees were not pp in any separate way. Only the shadows were lifted a bit. The other big mistake I made was I wanted a long shutter and movement of the leaves were a result.
Live and learn :-))
Thank you for your time!
Greg

Jul 30, 2015 at 01:16 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Triple Falls, Ar.- The crop is difficult for me!

I hear all the time that people forget to think about shooting in portrait orientation...I think for some its awkward on a tripod...one reason why I have L brackets on both bodies.

Jul 30, 2015 at 01:20 PM
rxgolf
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Triple Falls, Ar.- The crop is difficult for me!

Travis Rhoads wrote:
I hear all the time that people forget to think about shooting in portrait orientation...I think for some its awkward on a tripod...one reason why I have L brackets on both bodies.

I have the L, I just don't like what I get usually when I use it :-))
Greg

Jul 30, 2015 at 07:29 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.