Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Second shooter image display

Perry Heideman

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Second shooter image display

Being a second shooter for the past several seasons with the same primary, I am a little fuzzy on what I can use for my portfolio, social media, or similar. Up until now, I have maybe only used a single image on FB or flickr that I shot and usually waited until the primary either displayed that image in a mini FB preview, or actually delivered the images to the client. I am not about to cause any waves for the primary as we work together quite well and I enjoy the whole process.

I know I could discuss it with him, but I prefer to just keep a low profile in many respects. Usually when I have posted an image of mine, I have stated that this was a result of my working with XYZ photography, there by giving him a degree of credit. This has not lead to any issues to date.

I do of course enjoy sharing an image that I got that I like or that shows off some technique, etc.

Any thoughts or things to keep in mind in this regard?

Jul 25, 2015 at 11:20 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Second shooter image display

Technically you should have an agreement in writing that covers how to handle these and other issues. You need to have an open discussion to figure out what is and is not acceptable with your primary - we can't give you an answer to that other than how we prefer to work with our seconds and the terms we are willing to accept as second shooter.

Jul 25, 2015 at 11:23 AM
Perry Heideman

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Second shooter image display

Appreciate the feedback Kurtis and I may do so at some point. There is no burning issue here, so I was just looking for what others have done when that occurs, if at all. I have and still am acquiring skills and experience that serve me well and I am content with such. I do other types of environmental portraits with a drama group and that provides me with many images for display, etc.

That and I am in my 60's and really am not making a full time occupation of such.

You addressed my point with your statement "other than how we prefer to work with our seconds and the terms we are willing to accept as second shooter" This is the info I seek. What do most allow or accept.

Jul 25, 2015 at 11:43 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Second shooter image display

So I will preface the way I handle it by saying that I only work with second shooters who I feel are my photographic equal or close to it. I don't want someone working with me that I can't rely on 100% to get great shots without me having to tell them what to do, and I need them to be very professional etc etc etc

For me, I don't mind if my seconds use images in their portfolio they shot with me. I do ask that if they make a blog post with those images that they mention and link to me so it is clear it was not their wedding, but for an image or two in the portfolio from a particular wedding no credit is needed - they shot it after all.

That's how I handle it and I expect the same in return when I work with someone else and I am the second shooter.

My approach might be different if I was training people or taking them under my wing.

Jul 25, 2015 at 12:24 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Second shooter image display

Only real rule I have is wait until I post on FB and blog before doing the same.

Bonus if they plug me, but it's not a requirement or anything.

Jul 25, 2015 at 12:45 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Second shooter image display

I want the best second photographers I can find as it makes my life easier the day of the wedding and I can provide a better end product for my clients. To that end I let them use any of the images they take during the day of the wedding for their own personal promotion. They cannot sell the images as I retain the rights as I need to when using them for the albums, but they get to use THEIR images that they took with their gear to show others their capabilities. To me this is only fair to everyone involved.

Jul 26, 2015 at 03:50 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.