New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Less expensive tripod for the newbie

jdanze

Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Less expensive tripod for the newbie

I'd recommend used. Few use tripods as much as they think they will.

KEH, Adorama, B&H. I've had good luck at flea markets, but you've got to get lucky.

Jul 26, 2015 at 04:58 PM
ontime
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Less expensive tripod for the newbie

+1 to MeFoto. I have the RoadTrip carbon and so far, it's been great.

The tripod has two main flaws for me:
1. Manufacturing flaw with my copy: the grips on the uppermost leg sections slip when you torque them after the legs are fully tightened. It's annoying because you lose valuable feedback about when the leg is completely tightened. I believe this is a flaw with my copy of the tripod as I've heard one other reviewer mentioned this. He exchanged the tripod (via Amazon as he still was within return period) and the new copy did not have the problem. I contacted MeFoto support and they were not particularly helpful, responding with a terse "mail the tripod to our service center at x address." ...Ok? So I just send my tripod in with no documentation, explanation of the problem, or some kind of service request ID? No.

2. Converting the leg to a monopod is done by simply unscrewing the leg from the main attachmen tpoint on the uppermost leg section. What's the problem with this? Well, when you torque the grip to loosen the leg for expansion, it's possible to simultaneously unscrew the leg from its main attachment point. Kind of annoying - I wish there was some sort of separate lock or something. I quickly learned to handle the tripod in a different way to mitigate this (hold onto the tripod leg below the main attachment point when torquing the grip).

Jul 28, 2015 at 11:33 AM
paperplanes88

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Less expensive tripod for the newbie

I'm a newbie too and I too have been wondering this. Thank you.

Aug 10, 2015 at 03:17 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Less expensive tripod for the newbie

One thing unmentioned here is a remote. With a radio remote there is NO need to touch the camera. Check out the Vello Freewave at B&H. If you have cameras with different remote ports (Nikon is good for this) just buy another wire for 8 bucks. Shown is a Nikon dc2. Others are the same but with a different wire.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/750015-REG/Vello_RW_N2_FreeWave_Wireless_Remote_Shutter.html

Aug 10, 2015 at 07:47 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Less expensive tripod for the newbie

I have two MeFoto tripods, love them both. I have the smallest one which was about $130 and the most expensive one in carbon fiber which was about $350 or so, which is overkill now since I no longer have a dslr.

Aug 11, 2015 at 06:17 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Less expensive tripod for the newbie

Overkill is good when it comes to support.

Aug 11, 2015 at 09:33 AM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.