Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Sunset Illuminates the Tetons while Howling Wolf Serenades the Moon

JimKied
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sunset Illuminates the Tetons while Howling Wolf Serenades the Moon

We were on our way back from searching for and finding moose - we found two bull moose with antlers in velvet. I really did not have a plan for the rest of the evening since it was our last night in the Tetons and we were headed out the following morning. We had about a 30 mile drive back to our hotel. So imagine my despair when I noticed that it was this night that there would be a pretty nice sunset display. First, as the sun set behind the Tetons, there was a pretty nice display of crepuscular rays. I was in no good location to try to capture them and I kept pressing on, hoping to catch them. Unfortunately I failed as they faded after about 15 minutes. But then the backside of the Tetons started glowing as they were lit up by the setting sun. Another pretty spectacular display. I couldn't stand it any longer. I pulled out at the nearest overlook and tried to capture it. This image is the result. I know those clouds nearest the sun are blown. I totally goofed that part - just trying to work too fast. I've tried everything to tone them down some, but my limited PS skills have failed me. If anyone can suggest something, I'm all ears.

Comments welcome. It is how I learn.

Jul 24, 2015 at 03:25 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sunset Illuminates the Tetons while Howling Wolf Serenades the Moon

Hey Jim,

Yeah that can be frustrating to see a beautiful condition in the sky and not be in a place or position to capture a foreground to compliment it. This sure looks pretty cool, I really love the flowers you found here, they work well.

With the clouds, my suggestion is to just use Content Aware Fill in small doses just in the areas where the clouds are blown. Let it just recreate the blown clouds for you. The clouds may end not being 100% as you saw them, but I bet you could get it to about 90%.

Jim

PS. Were you howling with the wolf on this shot?

Jul 24, 2015 at 03:50 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sunset Illuminates the Tetons while Howling Wolf Serenades the Moon

JimFox wrote:
Hey Jim,

Yeah that can be frustrating to see a beautiful condition in the sky and not be in a place or position to capture a foreground to compliment it. This sure looks pretty cool, I really love the flowers you found here, they work well.

With the clouds, my suggestion is to just use Content Aware Fill in small doses just in the areas where the clouds are blown. Let it just recreate the blown clouds for you. The clouds may end not being 100% as you saw them, but I bet you could get it to about 90%.

Jim

PS. Were you
...Show more

Jim - I will give that a shot. As for the howling wolf, that is funny. No, but I sure was excited.

Just to be sure, the mountain formation just to the left of the main glow display - it is pretty small actually - is called howling wolf. From what I understand, it is a bit of Indian lore, the mountain looks like a wolf with head up to howl.

Jul 24, 2015 at 04:01 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sunset Illuminates the Tetons while Howling Wolf Serenades the Moon

Beautiful!

Jul 24, 2015 at 07:59 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sunset Illuminates the Tetons while Howling Wolf Serenades the Moon

The light on the mountains is great, I am surprised there is not a little more color in those blown out clouds...or were they blown out enough to have lost any color?

At least you have the memory of the rest of it...we often get too caught up in trying to photograph something like this that we don't just enjoy it...

Jul 24, 2015 at 08:20 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.