New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Lightroom question of the day

workerdrone
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom question of the day

I'm a relatively recent convert to Lightroom, and so far I really like it as the backbone to my basic photo adjustment and organization workflow, but I have a lot to learn.

Seems often when I search for an answer to my most current question, the interwebs answers relate to a past version and don't apply to the latest and greatest (CC subscriber here so I always have the latest) - so I wondered if a good thread here on Fred's might focus on a burning question of the moment that somebody has, that they've searched for an answer to in vain, and the larger community here could come to their rescue, and probably to the edification of several others in the process.

So here's my starter question - folders and subfolders -

My traditional organization involves folders and subfolders, where, for example, a master Travel folder might be broken down into numerous subfolders and sub-subfolders for countries and locales.

How do I find photos that are in the master (Travel) folder, but are not assigned to any of its subfolders? Other than exiting Lightroom and going into Finder / Explorer and manually looking for images that appear to be orphaned from subfolders.

Jul 24, 2015 at 02:36 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom question of the day

thats a good question
im not near an LR install so cant look but im sure there is a setting thats something like 'show contents of sub folders' (i may be wrong) . but if it is there it should be able to be turned off and would only show the contents of the current folder .
If no one else looks for it before I get home I'll have a look later

Jul 24, 2015 at 03:17 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom question of the day

just off the top of my head I could think of a way that may work (if the setting i mention above isnt there)
if you used a collection (or more probably a Smart Collection) then you should be able to set it up to show ONLY the contents of a named folder .

Jul 24, 2015 at 03:20 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom question of the day

you might want to consider a time based filing organization w/ hierarchical keywords instead.

Are you asking 'how do I find images that haven't been imported' or images that sit at the root (ie 'Travel') of the hierarchy? Off the top of my head, I think jumping out to Finder/Explorer is the way, LR really doesn't know much if the images aren't imported.

Jul 24, 2015 at 03:25 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom question of the day

In the Library module, click on the "library" menu option (between "edit" and "photo"). Halfway down is "Show Photos in Subfolders". Turn that off.

Jul 24, 2015 at 03:40 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightroom question of the day

15Bit wrote:
In the Library module, click on the "library" menu option (between "edit" and "photo"). Halfway down is "Show Photos in Subfolders". Turn that off.

Thought it was something like that

Jul 24, 2015 at 03:50 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lightroom question of the day

I just happen to have LR on my laptop, and i guess you don't....

Jul 24, 2015 at 03:58 PM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lightroom question of the day

OMG thank you haha - I found similar instructions in my google searches, but they changed the menus just enough that it didn't make sense

Who's next?

Jul 24, 2015 at 04:32 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lightroom question of the day

15Bit wrote:
I just happen to have LR on my laptop, and i guess you don't....

Yeah I do but laptop was not with me either .

Jul 24, 2015 at 04:49 PM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lightroom question of the day

Wow it sucks being the only guy with daily LR questions...

Today I'm just wondering if there is a good substitute for PS content aware fill the LR cloning seems a poor attempt

Aug 07, 2015 at 12:08 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lightroom question of the day

workerdrone wrote:

Today I'm just wondering if there is a good substitute for PS content aware fill the LR cloning seems a poor attempt

No LR has no answer to content aware fill . I find LR fine for spot removal bu beyond that its into PS . the only real downside to that (as a CC subscriber I get both anyway) is your than dealing with a non RAW file so you then need to keep both files together .
Im sure in the future it will be possible to save as a DNG from PS back to LR

Aug 07, 2015 at 01:52 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lightroom question of the day

workerdrone wrote:

LR's Clone & Heal tools suck, BIG time. Since Aperture 3's 5 year old versions were great I can only assume that it's a deliberate attempt by Adobe to get you to buy PS.
Happily for Mac users there is an *excellent* new alternative called Affinity Photo. It costs about £40-50 (less in the USA) and I'm really happy with it, PS users will find it easy to use. I just 'round-trip' whenever I need to use clone or heal now.

Aug 07, 2015 at 06:53 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lightroom question of the day

Indeed ... even Pixelmator offers a more superior solution than Lr when it comes to content aware style workflow .. and it is less than $30, often on sale for half that and has viable iPhone/iPad versions.

I agree with Frogfish, Aperture 3 has a far better tool for this and it is well over 5 years old now .... too bad Apple abandoned it.

Aug 07, 2015 at 09:21 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.