New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · 135mm F2 Missing Screws

eric hagemann
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 135mm F2 Missing Screws

Just bought a used 135mm F2. The lens is in awesome condition with one (well two) minor issues.

Just under the name ring there are three screws equally space around the lens. In this case two of the three screws are missing. I have highlighted the missing screws in the picture below.

The top of the lens ring flexes ever so slightly due to the missing screws so I'd like to get this fixed.

I know I can go to Canon for the fix but I'd rather not pay $100 + shipping for what should be a 2 minute job.

Does anybody have a suggestion of where I might be able to get the parts ?

http://www.solsticephoto.com/images/135mm.jpg

Jul 23, 2015 at 08:15 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 135mm F2 Missing Screws

unless you got an exceptional deal...i'd return the lens

Jul 23, 2015 at 08:27 PM
eric hagemann
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 135mm F2 Missing Screws

Deal was good; lens works fine. After close inspection I believe the screws were left out at the factory.

Jul 23, 2015 at 08:32 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 135mm F2 Missing Screws

eric hagemann wrote:
Deal was good; lens works fine. After close inspection I believe the screws were left out at the factory.

no i don't think so..1 left..yeah...but 3...ummm..no.

just call canon and ask them for the part # and buy the screws from mcmaster carr

Jul 23, 2015 at 08:34 PM
anelles
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 135mm F2 Missing Screws

Canon Parts Dept: (732) 521-7230

Jul 23, 2015 at 08:38 PM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 135mm F2 Missing Screws

You can likely find the correct size sheet metal screws at a hardware store. A couple of screws worked loose from my old 70-200 f/2.8 IS version 1 before I noticed, and a quick trip found some replacements. Don't force them, though! If they don't screw in easily, they aren't the right size and you can strip the threads.

Jul 24, 2015 at 07:23 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 135mm F2 Missing Screws

It's been taken apart and not reassembled properly would be my guess. Proceed with caution

Jul 24, 2015 at 07:40 AM
eric hagemann
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 135mm F2 Missing Screws

update: Talked to Canon parts -- screws are $0.27 each and will be here in a few days.

Jul 24, 2015 at 06:08 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 135mm F2 Missing Screws

dhphoto wrote:
It's been taken apart and not reassembled properly would be my guess. Proceed with caution

That's my feeling. One can only hope that after the screws were removed the repair attempt was aborted without really doing anything.

Back in the early 80s I worked in electronics repair for a while and we would charge an extra "tampering fee" for some fools that attempted home repairs. Missing screws, screws damaged from using incorrect screwdrivers, pry marks, bent/cracked chassis or internal parts, improper reassembly etc. are dead giveaways.

I'd not accept such a used lens without detailed knowledge of the circumstances.

EBH

Jul 24, 2015 at 06:40 PM
qc_mountain
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 135mm F2 Missing Screws

eric hagemann wrote:
update: Talked to Canon parts -- screws are $0.27 each and will be here in a few days.

Make sure you got a J.I.S. screwdriver.... (( do not use a Philips screwdriver otherwise you will strip them out while tightening the screws ))

Francois

Jul 24, 2015 at 11:06 PM
eric hagemann
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 135mm F2 Missing Screws

yup -- not my first Rodeo

Jul 25, 2015 at 05:46 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.