Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Computer-less way to export from CF cards?

oguruma
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Computer-less way to export from CF cards?

Hello, I am planning a trip the Grand Canyon, and I am curious if anybody has any ways to export photos from their CF cards that doesn't require the use of a computer. Is there anyway to off-load them to an external HD "in the field", when you are not near a computer? I know WD makes a wireless HD that can import files from SD cards, but I am not aware of any that accept a CF card.

Jul 23, 2015 at 02:58 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Computer-less way to export from CF cards?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Stand-Alone-Data-Storage/ci/3369/N/4000227848

Jul 23, 2015 at 03:01 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Computer-less way to export from CF cards?

I use my phone, a card reader, and a ruggedized external disk. It's a two-step process; card to phone, then phone to disk. I also use a USB battery that charges the phone and/or powers the disk.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1375895/0#13105069
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1318332/0#12578773

Jul 23, 2015 at 03:12 PM
oguruma
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Computer-less way to export from CF cards?

Using my phone isn't really an option, since it's only 16gb with a bunch of other crap on it eating up memory.....

Some of the external HDs that are available seem like a viable option, but it seems like the higher quality ones are expensive....

Jul 23, 2015 at 04:40 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Computer-less way to export from CF cards?

Nexto 2901 or the older 2730. I replace the 500GB drive and replace it with a 2TB Seagate/Samsung drive.

EBH

Jul 23, 2015 at 07:25 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Computer-less way to export from CF cards?

Epson had the exact product for remote/travel photo storage. The product was the Epson P-7000 multimedia storage. It was 160mg and had a screen to review photos stored. Unfortunately, Epson discontinued the product and nobody makes an alternative as good.

I realize this doesn't help but you might find a used one at a good price.

Jul 24, 2015 at 07:13 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Computer-less way to export from CF cards?

Probably cheaper to buy more CF cards.

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:16 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Computer-less way to export from CF cards?

I like to take sufficient cards and an independent backup.

Jul 24, 2015 at 02:53 PM
dlabrecque
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Computer-less way to export from CF cards?

It surprises me that those little data recorders are still as pricey as they are. You'd have thought those things would have gotten a little cheaper over the years.

I've always found CF cards to be pretty durable short of being thrown over the edge of the Grand Canyon.

With as many US airports as I've been through over the years, and that includes both the Portland and Phoenix airports, I've never encountered a corrupted card so I doubt you'll experience any problems either. Like Gochugog said earlier, buy some extra cards if it's a concern. It's a much cheaper solution in my opinion.

Jul 24, 2015 at 03:48 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Computer-less way to export from CF cards?

mogud wrote:
Epson had the exact product for remote/travel photo storage. The product was the Epson P-7000 multimedia storage. It was 160mg and had a screen to review photos stored. Unfortunately, Epson discontinued the product and nobody makes an alternative as good.

I realize this doesn't help but you might find a used one at a good price.

160mg?

Those Epsons were slow even back then. I still have one around somewhere. The displays were very nice though.

EBH

Jul 24, 2015 at 05:58 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Computer-less way to export from CF cards?

jcolwell wrote:
I like to take sufficient cards and an independent backup.

Yep...always have my cards backed up at the end of the day.

Jul 24, 2015 at 06:40 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Computer-less way to export from CF cards?

I have a hyperdrive colorspace backup unit which has a slot for CF cards. Painless way of backing up my images.

Jul 24, 2015 at 06:45 PM
oguruma
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Computer-less way to export from CF cards?

Dang, all of these options that do support CF seem to cost an arm and a leg.... I think I may just have to suffer bringing the laptop and card reader....

Jul 25, 2015 at 09:57 PM
mstrickland
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Computer-less way to export from CF cards?

http://www.nextodiusa.com/product/en_nvs2501.html

It's great. Has the option to recharge the internal battery via a AA battery pack, so if you can spare a bunch of AA's, you can be set for weeks.

Aug 03, 2015 at 10:46 AM
DABNIK
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Computer-less way to export from CF cards?

I have a hyperdrive colorspace backup unit & LOTS of CF cards. Spent 2 months traveling & taking LOTS of shots. Backed up cards every night & then had 2 copies of shots (just in case) Some of the models you can instal your own hard drive. I put a 500GB in mine. Worth the money!!

Aug 13, 2015 at 09:12 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Computer-less way to export from CF cards?

I am also a fan of the Nextodi, I have a 2700 series with an SSD. Less power consumption ( so better battery life) and more rugged/durable. I got mine used and then had to put a new battery in it. For the price you can pick up a cheap laptop, so it is certainly a specialized tool that only a few really need. It is excellent when I need the smallest possible back up, and I don't have room/time for a laptop.

Paul

Aug 13, 2015 at 02:25 PM
jojosung
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Computer-less way to export from CF cards?

well not computerless.. but have you look at these cheap Window 8 - 8" tablet?
$90 http://www.microcenter.com/product/437499/TW801_Tablet_-_Black
get a hardrive, and a portable usb-hub for $15.

You can connect both the HDD, and Card reader to it easily!

Aug 21, 2015 at 07:57 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Computer-less way to export from CF cards?

This

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=97&v=kvcYaChKx4c

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:56 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Computer-less way to export from CF cards?

I use 2each Epson P2000.....they are old but do the job very well and very cheap!!!
Dan

Aug 22, 2015 at 02:53 PM
Abuttolph
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Computer-less way to export from CF cards?

I just ordered a little device called HooToo Tripmate Titan from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/HooToo-Wireless-Companion-10400mAh-External/dp/B00RVIGY1I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440631075&sr=8-1&keywords=hootoo+tripmate+titan

It is a pretty clever little device that will transfer files between USB devices and will also work as a router in three different modes. Away from a computer, you need to use it with a cell phone or tablet (I tried it with an iPad) and HooToo has a free app for that (both Android and IOS). Basically, once it arrives, you set up the network portion of it - super easy. Then, have your phone or tablet connect to the Tripmate via wifi. The app allows you to control the file transfers. If you have a USB card reader and a USB external hard drive, connect both to a USB hub that plugs into the USB port of the Tripmate. The app will see both devices and then you can transfer files from your card to the hard drive.

When I purchased this a couple of days ago, Amazon had (still has right now) two nice promotions, one for 20% off the Tripmate and another for a free USB hub. Without the promotions, the cost of this device is $60.

I have only just tried out file transfers in my home to test the device out and it worked fine. I will be taking it on a trip next month.

Aug 26, 2015 at 06:26 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.