Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Where would you go in the eastern Sierra's in October?

runakid
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Where would you go in the eastern Sierra's in October?

Driving with my wife- looking at getting fall colors and wildlife [which at my age is anything after 10pm].

Jul 23, 2015 at 01:47 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Where would you go in the eastern Sierra's in October?

Well, the color tends to peak nearer the early part of the month but it might be hard to predict these days with the drought conditions and all. However, there is some trend towards an El Nino and that may change the weather and rainfall patterns some, too. One advantage is that the typical prime area is rather small and one can often chase the color by moving north or south on Highway 395 and then up or down in elevation in the canyons, etc., to chase the peak colors. I'd start off suggesting staying in the Mammoth Mountain/Lakes area. Since you are trying to catch fall conditions, that will put you ahead of ski season and there is lots of lodging available off peak seasons - and after the main fishing season as well. It's an easy drive from there south to Bishop and the Owens Valley or north to Lee Vining to go west to Yosemite or to visit Mono Lake and that's also close to Bodie. You can consider coming in from the north via Taho/Donner and the Reno/Carson City/Virginia City area which has a lot of history and some solor potential in some areas, too, or through Death Valley and into Owens Valley then north.

Jul 23, 2015 at 08:45 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Where would you go in the eastern Sierra's in October?

Make Lee Vining your base of operation. It is close to Mono Lake's South Tufa and close to Lundy Canyon for Fall colors. But I would check with sources at Lee Vining for those short, quick changes in fall foliage. This year may be very different because of the drought. Then, if you have enough time, go to Mammoth Lake area. And if you are heading north from Hwy 395 then do stop at Mammoth first and Lee Vining later.

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:21 PM
runakid
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Where would you go in the eastern Sierra's in October?

Thanks- man, that is all I need to know about the area. Thanks again.

dan

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:23 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Where would you go in the eastern Sierra's in October?

End of July... time to start thinking about fall color! The first hints of aspen color are now barely two months away in the Sierra...

First, the Sierra isn't really a great wildlife location. You can find deer and smaller critters (marmots, for example), some birds, and the occasional bear. But it isn't like some of the more famous wildlife spots that people visit to make wildlife photographs. Do bring a big lens and keep your eyes open, but your main subjects are more likely to be landscape-oriented.

As to fall color, I know a few things about that. (See shameless self-promotion below.)

The core of the aspen color season in the Sierra is basically the first weeks of October, with the end of the first week or so often bringing peak color. (The color can begin as early as October 1 or even a bit sooner at high elevations. You can still find it in the third week of the month at lower elevations.)

Watch various online reports of the development of the fall color — though learn to read between the lines a bit. Some of them include:

- Parcher's Resort Fall Color Report
- Michael Frye's blog
- The California Fall Color Report
- This page at my blog
- Others you can find by searching the web for "california fall color"

If you can only go to one area, many would regard the Bishop Creek area as holding the most promise. This drainage is above Bishop, California. (There are lots of places to stay and eat in Bishop.) and includes South Lake, Sabrina Lake, and North Lake. The highest elevation areas usually bring good early color, and then the color works its way down in elevation over the next couple of weeks. Because of the elevation variation here, you can usually find something — if the color is fading at the top, just drop a bit in elevation.

Frankly, if you aren't pressed for time, simply driving along US 395 and following your nose (and eyes!) will get you to quite a bit of color. There are many side valleys between roughly Bishop and Tahoe where you can find aspens, and there are some good stands even out into the high desert country east of the range.

One easy place to find a spectacular display, especially if you time it right, is the Conway Summit area just north of Mono Lake and Lee Vining.

Happy hunting!

Dan

(My new book, California's Fall Color: A Photographer's Guide to Autumn in the Sierra was just published by Heyday Books and is also available from Amazon.)

Jul 24, 2015 at 09:43 AM
runakid
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Where would you go in the eastern Sierra's in October?

I ordered the book you wrote. Can't wait to get it. Thanks for writing it.

dan

Jul 24, 2015 at 04:07 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Where would you go in the eastern Sierra's in October?

runakid wrote:
I ordered the book you wrote. Can't wait to get it. Thanks for writing it.

dan

Thanks! Hope you enjoy it and find the information useful!

Dan

Jul 24, 2015 at 06:27 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Where would you go in the eastern Sierra's in October?

You should not really constrain yourself to fall color, which is not that remarkable in the Eastern Sierras anyway. With the weather being as warm as it has been for the past few Octobers you may not get anything decent anyway. Luckily for you the Owens Valley is rich with all sorts of opportunities around the twists and turns of the Owens River. There are of course the standbys of Mono Lake, Alabama Hills, Moffat Ranch, Bristlecones. The Minarets area above Mamomth is an easy hike - at least the first portion of it.

And I would not establish a base anywhere. The weather can be highly variable along the Owens valley, with Mono, Bishop, Big Pine, and Lone Pine potentially spanning the range between completely overcast and completely blue sky on any given day. Make a decision on the fly and move around a lot. There are plenty of cheap motels, or BLM areas to camp if you are so inclined.

Jul 25, 2015 at 03:21 AM
runakid
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Where would you go in the eastern Sierra's in October?

Again, I want to thank you all for your advice and helpful suggestions. Looking forward to a wonderful trip.

Jul 25, 2015 at 04:53 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Where would you go in the eastern Sierra's in October?

GroovyGeek wrote:
You should not really constrain yourself to fall color, which is not that remarkable in the Eastern Sierras anyway. With the weather being as warm as it has been for the past few Octobers you may not get anything decent anyway. Luckily for you the Owens Valley is rich with all sorts of opportunities around the twists and turns of the Owens River. There are of course the standbys of Mono Lake, Alabama Hills, Moffat Ranch, Bristlecones. The Minarets area above Mamomth is an easy hike - at least the first portion of it.

And I would not establish a
...Show more

I agree with much of this.

My approach to the "where" question is complex and flexible. The arrival of fall color varies due to a range factors: local conditions (down to the level of individual groves), weather, onset of cold and/or snow, north/south location along the range, elevation, whether exposed or in valleys. So when I head to the East Side looking for color I'm always ready to adapt.

Since there are others looking for the same subject, make a practice of striking up conversations with folks you run into. This is a great opportunity to not start by asking questions about gear! Instead, ask where they have been and what they have seen. I often find that they visited a place that was a bust or perhaps visited on that was great — and by the time I've talked to a few different people I start to get a better handle on the color situation.

General advice: If you go early, start high. This means places like the upper end of Bishop Creek roads, high up on certain side roads not far from Lee Vining, and so forth. Even at later dates, you can start high — go up to where the color diminishes and then work your way down until you find the ideal.

And, yes, there are always tons of other worthy subjects in the Eastern Sierra and nearby. They frequently distract me from the aspens. I tell a couple stories about these "distractions" and the resulting photographic successes in the book. One morning I woke before dawn in Bishop, planning to head up to photograph more aspens, but as I hit the road in the darkness I thought that might be seeing the beginning of a dawn Sierra Wave condition in the sky. I abandoned my plans to photograph aspens and instead high-tailed it a half hour up the valley and then to the east to a high desert lake I know of where I thought I could shoot sunrise. It worked.

Dan

http://gallery.gdanmitchell.com/gallery/var/resizes/NaturalWorld/TheLandscape/California/Desert/OwensValley/SierraWaveDawnReflectionAlkaliLake20111016.jpg

Jul 25, 2015 at 10:55 AM
coryf

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Where would you go in the eastern Sierra's in October?

Dan's book should serve you well.

Something to keep in mind, if you're schedule allows, I would visit the popular locations midweek to avoid the worst of the crowds. i.e. places like north lake, convict lake, sabrina lake, etc. Its been my experience that one can find little treasures just feet off the beaten path, i.e. i would park the car and take a walk to discover hidden treasures that many don't see from just the side of the road - Just don't leave your car parked in the middle of the road! . seen it many times!

With regards to the higher elevations of the bishop drainage, color generally starts around mid sept and peaks between the last week or so of sept. into the first or second week of Oct. However, we usually will get our first snow storm during that time which brings wind and cold weather. That first storm can wreak havoc for the upper elevation color.

there is a palpable fever pitch in the air with all the leaf peepers about; it's difficult at times to not get sucked into the frenzy of photographers coming and going from one location to the next. Take a deep breath, enjoy and immerse yourself in what the eastside has to offer and you'll not only come away with some good images but a sense of place! good luck on your trip and have a great time exploring the eastside!

Aug 15, 2015 at 07:00 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Where would you go in the eastern Sierra's in October?

http://gallery.gdanmitchell.com/gallery/var/resizes/NaturalWorld/Nature/Trees/Color/AspenLeavesRedYellowGreen20090927.jpg

Great advice! The point about midweek visits if possible is excellent — the first couple of weekends in October can be quite nuts in some popular locations. Your point about getting off the beaten track is also a very good one. While I do understand that people going up there for the first time often want to go to the sure bet spots, there are beautiful trees all up and down the range. Eventually it turns out that many folks prefer to look around a bit and to have the joy of discovering "their own" places. I still find a few of those every year.

I'm also sometimes surprised at how early in the afternoon some photographers give up and head back to camp or the motel. Some of the most beautiful aspen light comes at twilight, when the light softens and fills the shadows a bit more. Sometimes at the end of the day I have otherwise busy places all to myself.

Happy aspen hunting!

Dan

coryf wrote:
Dan's book should serve you well.

Something to keep in mind, if you're schedule allows, I would visit the popular locations midweek to avoid the worst of the crowds. i.e. places like north lake, convict lake, sabrina lake, etc. Its been my experience that one can find little treasures just feet off the beaten path, i.e. i would park the car and take a walk to discover hidden treasures that many don't see from just the side of the road - Just don't leave your car parked in the middle of the road! . seen it many times!

With regards
...Show more

Aug 15, 2015 at 11:56 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.