Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Need some diagnostic help! WARNING big photographs!

falconbach
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Need some diagnostic help! WARNING big photographs!

I just can't get this lens to be sharp using viewfinder, it is possible through liveview though but even that struggles - sometimes me manual focussing through liveview delivers sharper images than using liveview autofocus.
I think I have gone through every autofocus adjustment values, both normal and default and still can't get it right. It seems to be "best" at 0 but still not acceptably sharp compared to the liveview.

Any ideas of final test before I put this lens on the shelf to collect some dust?

Jul 30, 2015 at 07:10 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Need some diagnostic help! WARNING big photographs!

Stefan, All of these are shot wide open. I know zooms can be wonderful lenses, but usually there is a trade-off in image quality in a zoom versus prime lens comparison. Now, you can shoot in RAW, and apply the chromatic aberation profile correction for your lens in Adobe Camera Raw. This should at least illustrate what the maximum resolving power of your lens is - wide open. An easier focus test would be to stop down to f5.6 - that should correct most CA in most lenses. I would expect the image focus quality to improve. Also, I'm not one to believe that AF correction adjustments are likely to work at many different focal lengths. If you think about - the lens is reconfigured for each focal length setting.

Years ago, I ran into a similar dilemma with my 70-200mm f2.8 afs vr version I. At times ,wide open, it seemed great, and other focal lengths...not so much. Usually, I used the zoom at near it's maximum focal length (200mm). So, I tried a
Nikkor 180mm f2.8 AF and discovered that the prime constantly had superior image quality. I sold my zoom - in fact most of my zooms lenses are gone.

Jul 31, 2015 at 01:41 PM
falconbach
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Need some diagnostic help! WARNING big photographs!

James Markus, maybe it is just because it is old lens or something but it is nevertheless quite frustrating to know what it can do (liveview and on rare occassion through viewfinder af). It can be razor-sharp even wide open, that I have seen by using liveview AF but also by MF through liveview. So the quality is there but it just always seem to be out of reach when using viewfinder AF.

Jul 31, 2015 at 03:58 PM
falconbach
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Need some diagnostic help! WARNING big photographs!

Anyway, thank you all for your comments and help.

Jul 31, 2015 at 04:08 PM
falconbach
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Need some diagnostic help! WARNING big photographs!

James Markus, I tried to use the lens only on f/5.6 shooting my dogs today and it is sharp using -17 in AF adjustment. However, then it seems that I have only 80-200mm f/5.6 lens in my hand because wider than that seems to be barely usable, specially f/2.8 it just is not usable at all.
But better than nothing I suppose.

Aug 01, 2015 at 08:22 AM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Need some diagnostic help! WARNING big photographs!

In my experience, that is what you have to do with each lens...find it's strengths and weaknesses. I think of them as brushes, and how they paint/render light determines their use. You may find another used 80-200mm Nikkor that works great, and then you could sell your existing lens. Some local brick and mortar camera stores have a used department - that way you could test before you buy. BTW, lenses tend to hold their value.

Aug 01, 2015 at 02:19 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.