Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · How to you respond to "who is your 2nd shooter?" if you're a l...

nguyencs
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to you respond to "who is your 2nd shooter?" if you're a lone photographer.

I am a lone photographer that offer packages for two photographers. Once and a while I'd get asked by potential clients about who my 2nd shooter is. I usually have the same person that 2nd shoot for me. However, she runs her own business and book her own weddings so there is a chance that she won't 2nd shoot for me. So far I've been saying that I have several photographers that I work with and once I get a good idea about the wedding, I hire one of them to be my 2nd shooter.

I offer two shooters because I like working with someone and I like the idea of having a lead photographer as a backup to take over for me if something happens. I've also tried offering solo photographer packages but it doesn't take off. We also have a close knit professional photography community here. Finding a lead photographer to 2nd shoot has never been an issue for me. It's just I don't want to say this specific person is my 2nd shooter when she might be booked for her own weddings.

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:07 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to you respond to "who is your 2nd shooter?" if you're a lone photographer.

I wouldn't offer something unless you have a solid and definite source for the service or item you offer. With that said, you should really hire a second and not rely on our group. We do have a kick ass group and there are so many people that will step up in a pinch. But one day it will be that one time that no one can do it or the one you get totally sucks. With that said, hit me up some time. Maybe we can assist each other sometime.

Jul 23, 2015 at 12:07 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to you respond to "who is your 2nd shooter?" if you're a lone photographer.

Most times they just want to hear a name. I doubt any of them care as long as you're actually producing good work.

Jul 23, 2015 at 12:10 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to you respond to "who is your 2nd shooter?" if you're a lone photographer.

It sounds like you have a blunt tool in your kit.

If someone asks "who will be our second photographer?" your response of "Oh, um, well, it could be ABCDEF, but it depends on who is available and..." isn't very good.

Or maybe you need a new angle.

Sounds to me like you a partnership would be better for a couple, more consistent, they know who and what they are getting. Or you need to find a way of communicating a lower importance of the second photographer, or to demonstrate more effectively examples of where numerous seconds have filled in collections for you.

I hear stories of people just bringing some kid along to learn, and people don't seem to like that too much. That may be part of why they're asking. Make sure they know this is not what you do and that you only hire 'real' photographers.

OR try pushing solo photographers in a better way.

Jul 23, 2015 at 12:22 PM
MattGruber
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to you respond to "who is your 2nd shooter?" if you're a lone photographer.

90% of my weddings are with the same 2nd, but on the rare occasion she has a vacation or some other prior commitment, I have a few reliable backups. If I'm meeting with the couple face to face, I will send my 2nd a quick text or call to make sure they'll be available that day in case the couple decides to book, that way I know what to say when asked.

If the client is asking that question via email, I do the same and just wait for her response before getting back to the client. Works every time.

Jul 23, 2015 at 04:45 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to you respond to "who is your 2nd shooter?" if you're a lone photographer.

"I have an outstanding network of second shooters that I work with. They are all primary photographers who operate their own studios so I will not know exactly who it is until about 2 months out from your wedding."

Jul 23, 2015 at 05:02 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to you respond to "who is your 2nd shooter?" if you're a lone photographer.

I tell clients that my second shooter is always someone who is fully capable in terms of skill and experience and has the equipment to shoot weddings solo and that the client is getting two pro photographers.

The client knows that I am going to be responsible for what is delivered to them after the wedding. Which is also why I carefully review the images from an entire wedding that photographer has shot before I hire them. A few cherry picked images do not provide an accurate view of their overall capabilities.

Jul 23, 2015 at 05:21 PM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to you respond to "who is your 2nd shooter?" if you're a lone photographer.

I just tell people I'm bringing my wife along who's my second shooter.

It really throws them off when I show up with another guy.

Jul 23, 2015 at 05:57 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How to you respond to "who is your 2nd shooter?" if you're a lone photographer.

I usually say this person can take over the role of main photographer if I break a leg "knock on wood" and will be able to finish the whole wedding by him/her self.

Jul 23, 2015 at 06:14 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How to you respond to "who is your 2nd shooter?" if you're a lone photographer.

canerino wrote:
"I have an outstanding network of second shooters that I work with. They are all primary photographers who operate their own studios so I will not know exactly who it is until about 2 months out from your wedding."

I was going to respond, but Chuck beat me to it. My clients are typically satisfied with the answer. I also tell them that all the portfolio work in my website is mine and 90% of the shots on the blog are mine... Then follow up on some of the reasons why it's beneficial to have a second, but not "mandatory." Many who have the budgets still book a second, and if they don't, no big deal.

Jul 23, 2015 at 07:19 PM
MattGruber
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How to you respond to "who is your 2nd shooter?" if you're a lone photographer.

All great answers. Just don't be the guy who promises some out of this world 2nd shooter, then have some random photographer you found in a pinch who doesn't even know how to use his camera.

Jul 23, 2015 at 08:20 PM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How to you respond to "who is your 2nd shooter?" if you're a lone photographer.

I'm not shooting weddings these days but I would never offer a second shooter. I always brought an assistant. If my assistant was also a good shooter I had them shoot as well but have never told a couple before the wedding that I provide a second.

Jul 27, 2015 at 02:17 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How to you respond to "who is your 2nd shooter?" if you're a lone photographer.

I describe the two I use often, and share their strengths, experiences, and why I use them. I don't dedicate to a name.

Jul 27, 2015 at 03:27 AM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How to you respond to "who is your 2nd shooter?" if you're a lone photographer.

Chris Fawkes wrote:
I'm not shooting weddings these days but I would never offer a second shooter. I always brought an assistant. If my assistant was also a good shooter I had them shoot as well but have never told a couple before the wedding that I provide a second.

I do like the assistant model more and more as I do this. The only caveat is if I can actually get the same second photographer every time and truly have a team. Assistants are great because they can handle a lot without the pressure of delivering any images. I also like that this can keep the whole day very very consistent in terms of coverage style. I will say I have the good fortune of being in an area with a lot of good photographers to work with.

I do know many who bill what I'd consider to be assistants as "second photographers."

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:34 PM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How to you respond to "who is your 2nd shooter?" if you're a lone photographer.

My thinking is it is easier to exceed expectation by just saying I bring an assistant.

I would hate to promise a second then get stuck at the last minute. Maybe i'm imagining that as a scenario that does not really happen.

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:49 PM
nguyencs
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How to you respond to "who is your 2nd shooter?" if you're a lone photographer.

Thanks for all your comments. I decided to be more transparent about it. I made my base package a solo photographer package with a second photographer option right below it. I use the same explanation that canerino recommended. I definitely see the pit fall for offering a second shooter when I don't have a second shooter on the roster. It hasn't been an issue so far because there has been enough photographers on their off days willing to take the job. I'm in a private FB group consisting of only professional photographers in the area and ask for 2nds there. I did make the second shooter option a premium so if client does end up booking a 2nd shooter, I would be able to offer an enticing wage for those photographers on their off days.

Jul 28, 2015 at 01:57 PM
pgeorges
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · How to you respond to "who is your 2nd shooter?" if you're a lone photographer.

I tell my clients to not hire a second shooter unless they absolutely have to and doing so will produce sub par results!

Jul 29, 2015 at 01:52 PM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · How to you respond to "who is your 2nd shooter?" if you're a lone photographer.

What? Your work suddenly goes to shit when another photographer turns up?

If your work is good how can a second shooter possibly do anything but offer an addition to what you shoot?

Gordon

Jul 29, 2015 at 04:11 PM
pgeorges
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · How to you respond to "who is your 2nd shooter?" if you're a lone photographer.

flash wrote:
What? Your work suddenly goes to shit when another photographer turns up?

If your work is good how can a second shooter possibly do anything but offer an addition to what you shoot?

Gordon

I like to be discrete and having an extra photographer on top of the film crew actually is a negative.

I also like to go to the bride AND groom prep myself to meet both parties and get them on board with me, which helps me capture better images later in the day.

Hence I recommend that they don't hire a second shooter unless I absolutely cannot reach both prep locations in the morning.

Does that answer your question?

Jul 29, 2015 at 04:21 PM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · How to you respond to "who is your 2nd shooter?" if you're a lone photographer.

Not really.

I'm interested to see how a single extra person can lower the overall quality of your work. I don't have an issue with a personal preference to work alone but you already bring a film crew. If you already have a crew is that one extra person going to tip things over the edge?

Having two photographers doesn't mean you have to split up. We travel to both the braide and groom. But we also don't have to move around as much as a single during the ceremony and reception, which makes us more discrete than a single for a lot of the day. Also I don't see how, as a team we would have a hard time forming a bond with the bridal party. That's not something that's ever been a problem for us. Almost every wedding we geet asked to put the camera down and party on ith the bridal party. And over 90% of our work is referrals.

Personally, I'll never shoot as a single again, if possible. I think there are too many advantages to working as a team of two.

Regards

Gordon

Jul 30, 2015 at 05:15 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.