FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Yellowstone Geyser Images

JimKied
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Yellowstone Geyser Images

Traveling with family is not always conductive to being at places at the right time. And so it was as we went through the geyser areas in Yellowstone. With few exceptions, middle of the day and harsh sun. Rather than attempting to get the overall landscape, I focused on the colors and patterns prevalent in the geyser runoffs. Abstracts, if you will. Full disclosure - I've got no clue what makes a good abstract, but I went for patterns, reflections and the like. Following are a few that I got. All comments welcome. It is how I learn.

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:04 AM
BauerPower
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Yellowstone Geyser Images

I enjoyed your "abstracts". I was always amazed at the motion that was going on at geysers even when they were not erupting. Bubbles, water seeping downhill and pools burping. The algae colors are pretty fantastic too.

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:48 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Yellowstone Geyser Images

Family vacations are like that...the photography sometimes takes a back seat...

For claiming to not know an abstract...#2 is excellent IMO.

#5 might make a nice black and white image considering the lack of much color in the original.

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:55 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Yellowstone Geyser Images

Hi Jim,

I like your #5, that is nice job of working the sun there. As for abstract, #3 would be my favorite, just crop a little off the top to lose that light tan band in the upper left. If you let the whole upper left be that darker blue/black with the way that area of color then bends and radiates out, it will make for a much more pleasing image.

Jim

Jul 23, 2015 at 01:02 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Yellowstone Geyser Images

Geysers and thermal areas are not the easiest to photograph but you have made a really good job of it here.

I'd have liked to see a close-up of the green vent in #1 though - that looks cool !

#2 is my favourite.

Jul 24, 2015 at 06:56 AM
Cheryle Sytsma
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Yellowstone Geyser Images

Very nicely done!
I really like the first 4...!
In #1 with the purple flowers...showing how life
can exist even around the harshness of the geysers, thermals
and gases....

Jul 24, 2015 at 01:35 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Yellowstone Geyser Images

Cheryle Sytsma wrote:
Very nicely done!
I really like the first 4...!
In #1 with the purple flowers...showing how life
can exist even around the harshness of the geysers, thermals
and gases....

Yeah, I was quite surprised at the amount of life, given the extreme conditions and the caustic makeup of the runoff. The algae itself is pretty amazing.

Jul 24, 2015 at 03:00 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Yellowstone Geyser Images

BauerPower wrote:
I enjoyed your "abstracts". I was always amazed at the motion that was going on at geysers even when they were not erupting. Bubbles, water seeping downhill and pools burping. The algae colors are pretty fantastic too.

Thanks BauerPower - I was very amazed at the algae colors. I had heard about it, but I was still taken back when seeing the colors for the first time.
---------------------------------------------

Travis Rhoads wrote:
Family vacations are like that...the photography sometimes takes a back seat...

For claiming to not know an abstract...#2 is excellent IMO.

#5 might make a nice black and white image considering the lack of much color in the original.

Thanks Travis. I will give the BnW a shot. Haven't really played with BnW that much.

JimFox wrote:
Hi Jim,

I like your #5, that is nice job of working the sun there. As for abstract, #3 would be my favorite, just crop a little off the top to lose that light tan band in the upper left. If you let the whole upper left be that darker blue/black with the way that area of color then bends and radiates out, it will make for a much more pleasing image.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I will do just what you suggested. My overall hope for the image was to include the ridgeline reflection at the top of the image (just below the tan band). I thought it was neat how the reflections were coming through with all that steam swirling around. But I can still do that, so no worries. And I definitely like your suggestion.

Frogfish wrote:
Geysers and thermal areas are not the easiest to photograph but you have made a really good job of it here.

I'd have liked to see a close-up of the green vent in #1 though - that looks cool !

#2 is my favourite.

Thanks Frogfish.

Jul 24, 2015 at 03:10 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.