Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · What lenses would you bring to Hawaii?

Dudewithoutape
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · What lenses would you bring to Hawaii?

I took with me a 14mm, 35mm, and 85mm lens when I went earlier this year. So looking at your lineup, the three zooms others are recommending as well, 16-35, 24-105, and 70-200. I wouldn't bring everything everyday. I would pack for the day's events. I assume you have family or someone else to enjoy this trip with and don't want to bog them down.

Jul 26, 2015 at 09:16 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · What lenses would you bring to Hawaii?

hotdog12 wrote:
For me, I always pay attention to the extremes on vacation. The 16-35 f/4L IS and 70-200 + a 2X. Carting all the rest of this stuff around sounds miserable, and if you aren't carrying it, you'll be worrying about it getting stolen.

THIS !!!

Except my extremes are wide and shallow.

My favorites travel lenses are the 17-40 and the 135L. Did this in Europe a couple of years ago and it was perfect.

Wide for landscapes, shallow for people and artistic stuff.

BTW, 24 years living in Hawaii... Aloha!

greg

Jul 27, 2015 at 03:20 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · What lenses would you bring to Hawaii?

hotdog12 wrote:
For me, I always pay attention to the extremes on vacation. The 16-35 f/4L IS and 70-200 + a 2X. Carting all the rest of this stuff around sounds miserable, and if you aren't carrying it, you'll be worrying about it getting stolen.

Yes, gear in cars parked at popular tourist areas are a big no-no. Iceheads are literally trolling 24/7 for whales.

Jul 27, 2015 at 03:28 AM
smmokan16
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · What lenses would you bring to Hawaii?

Not sure if you already went or not... but I'm assuming you're going to the Big Island? If so, there's no lava flowing anywhere near the water, nor is there any lava eruption visible during the day. There's a light glow after sunset, but that's it.

I was in Volcanoes NP last month, and with the few viewing areas around the Kilauea volcano, your 70-200mm & 2x extender is more than enough. Don't get too excited though, because the scenery is somewhat underwhelming right now with an almost complete lack of lava. I'd recommend heading up to the north shore to shoot at Waipio and Pololu, in which case definitely bring your 16-35 and 24-105.

Jul 27, 2015 at 01:52 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · What lenses would you bring to Hawaii?

Would anyone want to take the C.Zeiss 25mm? Even though that's a prime lens, that's a rather sweet lens for landscape

Jul 27, 2015 at 03:27 PM
kemo681
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · What lenses would you bring to Hawaii?

smmokan16 wrote:
Not sure if you already went or not... but I'm assuming you're going to the Big Island? If so, there's no lava flowing anywhere near the water, nor is there any lava eruption visible during the day. There's a light glow after sunset, but that's it.

I was in Volcanoes NP last month, and with the few viewing areas around the Kilauea volcano, your 70-200mm & 2x extender is more than enough. Don't get too excited though, because the scenery is somewhat underwhelming right now with an almost complete lack of lava. I'd recommend heading up to the north shore to
...Show more

If you are going to take images of Kilauea, then get there early and study the wind patterns with relationship to the sun. You do not want to be downwind of the off gases, which contain sulfur dioxide. SO2 + water will form sulfurous acid in your lungs. The crater is butt-ugly when the sun is in the wrong direction.

Also, do not expect too much from the helicopter ride. Remember, they are there to make money not necessarily get the shot that you want. They will put one couple up front and four people in the back squashed in there like sardines. I had the 70-200 and almost had to lean on my wife's lap to get a shot out the window. There will be a lot of distortion and glare unless, as someone else stated, you take a "window free" trip.

More thoughts on the heli ride. 1) lighter people get to sit in front with the pilot. 2) 3 of the six people were annoyed with my constant shooting. 3)The gal up front had never been up before and almost heaved her lunch on me. 4) the pilot has a set agenda and we were told not to talk to him.

Waipio was awesome! we did not hike down but I sure wanted to go. Pahoa was great (I am a little wacky so it suits me). There are a lot of black sand beaches near Kalapana on the southeast side of the Island.

HOWEVER, the most awesome place was South Point. We hit that when it was about 70 deg and no wind. Got some great shots there. Supposedly, there is a green sand beach very near there.

Having said all of that, I would make time and hike the Sliding Sand Trail down into Haleakalā Crater on Maui. That was and is the best day on the Islands. Did lots of panos (took a tripod with us) using a 24-105. -- stitched 9-12 images in PTGui

Have fun,

Mike

Jul 27, 2015 at 04:13 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · What lenses would you bring to Hawaii?

Hey Mike,
That is a total bummer! I went there when I was 19, but I was a geology student at SF State and I had dreams of being a volcanologist. Now we're going there to celebrate my wife's 50th birthday and I work for the State out in your neighborhood.

We're not going to Maui though and when we went to Maui, we didn't even like Maui, but with that said, I think we'll do just fine on the big island. Thanks very much for the good advise. That probably saved us a fortune in helo fees that would have disappointed us! I took a helo back when I was 19, but that was the year that Kilauea had just sent a lava flow through an entire town and blocked the main road that went around the island. I believe this was 1986, maybe 1987. We flew over the main crater and there were huge fountains of lava 20 feet into the air, but from the helicopter, it looked like 2 feet into the air. Personally, I'm afraid to death of helicopters, so I'm not that disappointed, but if it erupted and was really dramatic, I'd go again! I also wouldn't mind taking a hike and getting an eruption from the ground - is there anywhere you know of where I could get close enough to where the main crater is that there might be some eruptive activity?

Again Mike, thanks for all of that information - I really appreciate it!
Bill

Jul 28, 2015 at 12:18 AM
TheGoodGrief

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · What lenses would you bring to Hawaii?

When I went to the big island last May, I took a 70-200mm, 24-70, 14mm F2.8, and 50mm 1.4. The 50mm never came out of the bag, the 24-70 only did when I was tinkering around the rental house. If you're going to the big island, I suggest taking some nighttime photos up the mountains. Also, the helicopter tour was amazing, but the lava (which I was fortunate enough to see) wasn't nearly the best part. The waterfalls were the most stunning sight I've ever seen.

Make sure to take the full island trip, and as others have stated, I recommend the doors off flight. My pilot was engaging and fun, and pointed out shots I might want to take. If you're not going doors off, consider going alone. Many helicopters seat 6, including the pilot. If there are 2 couples, you might get a cheaper trip, because they'll need you to balance the weight.

To answer the question, for your kit, I'd bring the 16-35, the 70-200, the 2x, and maybe the Zeiss for nighttime photos. If there's room for a mini tripod, I'd suggest that too. I looked into renting a nice one while I was on the island, but it was a lot of work and fairly expensive.

Good luck!

Jul 28, 2015 at 12:30 AM
kemo681
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · What lenses would you bring to Hawaii?

billsamuels wrote:
Hey Mike,
That is a total bummer! I went there when I was 19, but I was a geology student at SF State and I had dreams of being a volcanologist. Now we're going there to celebrate my wife's 50th birthday and I work for the State out in your neighborhood.

We're not going to Maui though and when we went to Maui, we didn't even like Maui, but with that said, I think we'll do just fine on the big island. Thanks very much for the good advise. That probably saved us a fortune in helo fees that would have
...Show more

Bill,

I am sure that my experience was in the minority. I read the above post and his experience was something that you hope for. The main thing is to check and see what each company offers.

We were there in 2008 and the volcano was fairly quiet.

Have a good trip.

Mike

Jul 28, 2015 at 01:10 AM
capt don
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · What lenses would you bring to Hawaii?

Having been there a couple times. I would only bring the 17-40 and the 24-105. Unless your going to take the heliocopter ride those 2 lenses should cover most everything. It gets really hot hauling a bunch of gear all over the place. The first time we went I took a bunch of stuff that never left the camera bag and all I did was worry about theft.

Jul 28, 2015 at 03:39 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.