New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Albuquerque / Santa Fe suggestions

joel dowling
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Albuquerque / Santa Fe suggestions

Hello all -

Work is taking me to Albuquerque for about a week and aside from a jaunt to Santa Fe, I have no idea what to check out in ABQ. Any suggestions? Diners, photogenic districts, or spots along Rt. 66 worth taking a look at? Great landscape opportunities within an hour or two's drive? Coming from the east coast, everything about this trip is exotic to me.

I will have a rental car to aid in the hunt for excellent subject matter.

Thank you.

-Joel

Jul 22, 2015 at 10:58 AM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Albuquerque / Santa Fe suggestions

Lots to do in and around ALB. I like to visit Old Town. The mission church there appeals to me, as well as the shops and people. The tram ride to Sandia Peak is a must do. Petroglyphs N P has two sections worth doing. I enjoyed the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center when native dancers perform. The Rio Grande Nature Center has some blinds for shooting waterfowl. Visiting an Indian Pueblo is always interesting and educational, sometimes photogenic. My favorite, about an hour west of ALB, is Acoma Pueblo, where one can tour Sky City for great heritage and photography. Driving the Turquoise Trail is fun and offers some landscape opportunities. Coronado State Park displays ancient dwelling ruins, but Bandolier N M is better, if you have time. There are several "badlands" areas not far outside ALB, google San Juan Basin wilderness areas. most are much farther north, but a few are within an hour.

Santa Fe offers lots of unique architecture, from the state capitol, several churches, the governor's palace, private homes, etc. If you can, go to Taos for more of the same.

I could go on, but you won't be there that long.

Jul 22, 2015 at 12:11 PM
joel dowling
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Albuquerque / Santa Fe suggestions

Stan -

Thanks for the helpful post - I really appreciate it. I would love to make it to one of the pueblos and may try to pursue that idea.

I appreciate the help and wish that I was able to visit for longer. The food alone looks like I could spend over a week exploring! This trip beats my last visit in terms of length, though - the only other time that I have been to ABQ, I was only there for about twelve hours. This is a move in the right direction.

Again, thanks!

Jul 22, 2015 at 12:21 PM
John Zeman
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Albuquerque / Santa Fe suggestions

El Morro National Monument is good for some photos.

Jul 22, 2015 at 01:16 PM
joel dowling
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Albuquerque / Santa Fe suggestions

John Zeman wrote:
El Morro National Monument is good for some photos.

John -

Thanks for the suggestion - this is looking like it has all of the makings of a busy trip! El Morro looks incredible.

-Joel

Jul 22, 2015 at 02:17 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Albuquerque / Santa Fe suggestions

The photogenic VLA radio telescope array is about two hours south of town, on highway 60, west of Socoro. Add some monsoon clouds and a sunset and you're set! If you get peckish, stop at the Bear Mountain coffeehouse in Magdalena for some excellent food.

Jump on the tram to Sandia crest for a great view.

Jul 22, 2015 at 04:05 PM
joel dowling
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Albuquerque / Santa Fe suggestions

Greg Campbell wrote:
The photogenic VLA radio telescope array is about two hours south of town, on highway 60, west of Socoro. Add some monsoon clouds and a sunset and you're set! If you get peckish, stop at the Bear Mountain coffeehouse in Magdalena for some excellent food.

Jump on the tram to Sandia crest for a great view.

Greg -

Thanks for the tips - I am suffering from an embarrassment of riches with all of these suggestions!

-Joel

Jul 22, 2015 at 05:45 PM
Charlie San
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Albuquerque / Santa Fe suggestions

Forget all that stuff, pie town is just down the road!

Jul 22, 2015 at 07:40 PM
joel dowling
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Albuquerque / Santa Fe suggestions

Charlie_Boy wrote:
Forget all that stuff, pie town is just down the road!

Another great suggestion! Maybe I need to stick around for an extra week?

Thanks!

Jul 22, 2015 at 09:45 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Albuquerque / Santa Fe suggestions

Recommend buying the book on NM by Laurent Martres. His 3-book series of the southwest for photographers is exceptionally good and timeless. Volume 3 covers Colorado and New Mexico.

Jul 23, 2015 at 01:17 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Albuquerque / Santa Fe suggestions

Yea, there are plenty of badlands to explore Some are less than an hour's drive...

http://www.americansouthwest.net/new_mexico/index.shtml

http://www.phototreknm.com/Maps/LocationMap/LocationMap.html

Jul 23, 2015 at 01:35 PM
joel dowling
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Albuquerque / Santa Fe suggestions

elkhornsun wrote:
Recommend buying the book on NM by Laurent Martres. His 3-book series of the southwest for photographers is exceptionally good and timeless. Volume 3 covers Colorado and New Mexico.

I will gladly look into this series. Part of me feels totally overwhelmed by all of the opportunities and anxious to do as much as possible, though the more reasonable part of me realizes that with all of these opportunities, I can't go wrong!

Thank you all for your help.

Jul 23, 2015 at 01:53 PM
joel dowling
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Albuquerque / Santa Fe suggestions

Greg Campbell wrote:
Yea, there are plenty of badlands to explore Some are less than an hour's drive...

http://www.americansouthwest.net/new_mexico/index.shtml

http://www.phototreknm.com/Maps/LocationMap/LocationMap.html

How "demanding" do you think these hikes would be? My boss, a native of NM, told me that they run the spectrum from walks in the park (har had) to harrowing. Your take?

Thanks.

Jul 23, 2015 at 01:54 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Albuquerque / Santa Fe suggestions

Dunnow!

The Americansouthwest site has fairly detailed instructions for each of the sites, such as:
http://www.americansouthwest.net/new_mexico/ojito/wilderness-area.html

Jul 23, 2015 at 04:07 PM
joel dowling
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Albuquerque / Santa Fe suggestions

I have just returned from my trip and look forward to sharing some images in the near future. I didn't make it to all of the suggestions, though I feel like a I did a good job exploring (and hopefully a decent job photographing) the sites of New Mexico.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Aug 03, 2015 at 07:36 AM
joel dowling
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Albuquerque / Santa Fe suggestions

So, like I mentioned, I wanted to drop in to share an image or two. I wasn't able to make all of the images that I was planning on making, as my main priority was work, though I was happy to make a portrait or two and have a fantastic adventure along the way.

I am already planning a return trip focussing on photography in the next year or two. I loved it and appreciate everyone's input.

Martin's friend outside of the Burrito Lady's restaurant. The Burrito Lady's place was easily the best food that I had during the trip - everything tasted unique, was cooked beautifully, and was hot as fire. I loved it.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/yH2ZSL]
JJD_3269[/url] by Joel Dowling, on Flickr

You may be wondering - who is Martin?

Well...this is Martin!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/yL7C78]
JJD_3274[/url] by Joel Dowling, on Flickr

Martin saw me nosing around and trying to work a scene near the Burrito Lady and yelled out to me to take his picture. I, of course, said "yes" and walked over to meet him. After a few minutes of cold feet and explaining what to expect, he and his buddies all agreed to an impromptu portrait, which is my bread and butter. Everyone needs a new picture for Facebook, right?

What would a trip be without kitsch?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/yH2ZLU]
JJD_3318[/url] by Joel Dowling, on Flickr

Kitsch or not, the food was pretty decent and the memorabilia was a fun addition.

I also made the drive to Santa Fe up through Madrid and would love to do it again with more time to spare. Additionally, I drove up through Jemez to Los Alamos - incredible! I wasn't really kitted out for landscape, but it was an unreal drive all the same.

Thank you all for your help.

Ps - what would a visit to ABQ be without a little "Breaking Bad"?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/yL7BYT]
JJD_3328[/url] by Joel Dowling, on Flickr

The chili dogs were well worth it!

Thanks, all!

Sep 17, 2015 at 03:01 PM
lesgage
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Albuquerque / Santa Fe suggestions

go to Taos....it is much better...lots more to shoot and see

Sep 18, 2015 at 02:20 PM
joel dowling
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Albuquerque / Santa Fe suggestions

lesgage wrote:
go to Taos....it is much better...lots more to shoot and see

It's definitely on my list!

Sep 18, 2015 at 02:39 PM
Rohanban
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Albuquerque / Santa Fe suggestions

Tent Rocks, Bandelier National Monument. are both pretty close to Santa Fe.

Taos is good.

Shiprock and Bisti are pretty good.

Goodplaces to eat @ SantaFe - Chicago dogs! haha. La Boca, Jambo Cafe.

Sep 24, 2015 at 12:07 PM
paulkris
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Albuquerque / Santa Fe suggestions

In Santa Fe the Tesuque Pueblo Flea Market is a great place for shooting. Only open a few days a week, though.

Oct 05, 2015 at 11:17 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.