FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Manteo Lighthouse Sunrise: EDIT-Added 1

Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Manteo Lighthouse Sunrise: EDIT-Added 1

Its not really called Manteo Lighthouse, its actually Roanoke Marshes Lighthouse, but that is a mouthful and we all kept referring to it as Manteo...a recreation of an old screwpile lighthouse, this quaint little structure provided a lot more photographic options than I expected.

I shot around the docks and boardwalks during official sunrise, but never found a comp that included the brief eild color as the sun broke the horizon...after wandering around I wound up back at this spot, and went for an extended exposure, the water was calm and the almost still skies meant I would get smooth clean water with minimal cloud movement to retain some details.

It was so quiet out that morning, just the sound of us photographers and the water lapping at the docks we stood on.

Thanks for looking, any crits or comments are more than welcomed and always appreciated.

TR

EDIT:
Added a second image, that I had been working on and liked, less centered as Jim mentioned as a crit point on the first image.

I got set up for the second one, knowing my baseline exposure, but waiting for the sun to break over the clouds to warm the side of the lighthouse...once it did, it really changed the look of this shot...from cool to warm with a nice reflection in the water.

Edited on Jul 22, 2015 at 07:00 AM · View previous versions

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:00 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Manteo Lighthouse Sunrise: EDIT-Added 1

Hey Travis,

That's and interesting looking place. I wonder if the Lighthouse is too centered? This is nice, but it's not tickling my eyeballs as much as I think it could. Did you try a straight on shot from the dock that leads to the Lighthouse? That could be really cool having it be really wide and then diminish as it gets closer to the Lighthouse?

Jim

Jul 21, 2015 at 08:13 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Manteo Lighthouse Sunrise: EDIT-Added 1

JimFox wrote:
Hey Travis,

That's and interesting looking place. I wonder if the Lighthouse is too centered? This is nice, but it's not tickling my eyeballs as much as I think it could. Did you try a straight on shot from the dock that leads to the Lighthouse? That could be really cool having it be really wide and then diminish as it gets closer to the Lighthouse?

Jim

Hey Jim thanks for commenting. No worries not everything will tickle the eyes... It happens.

No I didn't shoot one looking down the Pier.... That view is overdone and the pilings are pretty tall and too much in the frame for me and it didn't appeal to me. I have another angle from the east side after the sun was hitting the building... Much less centered...

Jul 21, 2015 at 08:17 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Manteo Lighthouse Sunrise: EDIT-Added 1

Travis,
Nicely done. I like this one the way it is. Everything falls into place.

Jul 21, 2015 at 08:22 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Manteo Lighthouse Sunrise: EDIT-Added 1

Yeah, this one works for me. Love the muted colors.

Jul 21, 2015 at 08:28 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Manteo Lighthouse Sunrise: EDIT-Added 1

I have been to this Lighthouse, I light your take on it using the docks. Such a beautiful morning you had to enjoy it, lovely image

Karl

Jul 21, 2015 at 08:28 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Manteo Lighthouse Sunrise: EDIT-Added 1

Sunny Sra wrote:
Travis,
Nicely done. I like this one the way it is. Everything falls into place.

Thanks Sunny. Its always interesting how an image is received differently, and hearing about it from a variety of angles is good, it makes me think about what works for some and not others, thanks for taking the time.
---------------------------------------------

JimKied wrote:
Yeah, this one works for me. Love the muted colors.

Thanks Jim. The softer colors were nice, it really was a nice morning.
---------------------------------------------

Karl Witt wrote:
I have been to this Lighthouse, I light your take on it using the docks. Such a beautiful morning you had to enjoy it, lovely image

Karl

Thanks Karl. I was just trying to find a way to hold the eye in the frame, and the boardwalk did that for me.

BTW...added one more to the first post...its my other image flagged from this location.

Jul 22, 2015 at 06:57 AM
sstryker

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Manteo Lighthouse Sunrise: EDIT-Added 1

Thanks so much for sharing such a great view of the lighthouse. I am a retired marine supply salesman and called on customers there every other week. I really miss it. Great pictures.

Jul 22, 2015 at 07:13 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Manteo Lighthouse Sunrise: EDIT-Added 1

sstryker wrote:
Thanks so much for sharing such a great view of the lighthouse. I am a retired marine supply salesman and called on customers there every other week. I really miss it. Great pictures.

You are very welcome, thanks for the kind words. Sometimes pictures are good memories for us as the author...but they can rekindle memories for others too...those connections are great to hear about.

Jul 22, 2015 at 07:15 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Manteo Lighthouse Sunrise: EDIT-Added 1

I like the sky in #1, but the foreground is difficult for me. Still a nice image
I think #2 is well balanced. Great luck with leading lines in the sky. Maybe pull the distortion over a little on the lighthouse? Seems slanted a little.

You should go to Alligator Reserve for the black bears sometime. Lots of fun and big mosquitoes.

David

Jul 22, 2015 at 09:11 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Manteo Lighthouse Sunrise: EDIT-Added 1

dgdg wrote:
I like the sky in #1, but the foreground is difficult for me. Still a nice image
I think #2 is well balanced. Great luck with leading lines in the sky. Maybe pull the distortion over a little on the lighthouse? Seems slanted a little.

You should go to Alligator Reserve for the black bears sometime. Lots of fun and big mosquitoes.

David

Thanks David. Good eye, I missed the corners of the building not straight in this one...I set my horizon and didn't even look at those corners.

I will check out Alligator Reserve...but big mosquitoes I can pass on!

Jul 22, 2015 at 09:16 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.