Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Building a new photography studio for shooting products. Need advice

bosharpe

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Building a new photography studio for shooting products. Need advice

Hi everyone,

Our company is re-designing our main photography studio and I was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice.
Storage ideas would be particularly useful. We've got a lots of items like power packs, light stands, rolls of paper, cables etc. Having something robust but stylish if possible would be excellent!

If anyone has any suggestions/solutions I'd really appreciate any opinions.

Many thanks!

Alex

Jul 21, 2015 at 10:25 AM
Daboyle
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Building a new photography studio for shooting products. Need advice

buy multiple metal storage ( gorilla ) racks from cosco or sams or homedepot /lowes. Also use rubber bins with labels on outside. And have a charging station where all your chargers are hooked up, with a switch that turns outlet on and off. plenty of outlets, like, a ton. Try to get some ceiling mount outlets installed if you can. Invest in a hanging light system with rails

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:44 AM
Daboyle
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Building a new photography studio for shooting products. Need advice

tons of gaffers tape, clamps of various sizes, an easy to use tethered large screen. Possibly even a large HDTV to display images too. Ikea has great storage options too- with the bids that slide in and out of the furniture

Jul 21, 2015 at 12:23 PM
architect7
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Building a new photography studio for shooting products. Need advice

What size products are you shooting?

Jul 21, 2015 at 01:08 PM
bosharpe

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Building a new photography studio for shooting products. Need advice

Many thanks for the replies so far guys!

Daboyle wrote:
buy multiple metal storage ( gorilla ) racks from cosco or sams or homedepot /lowes. Also use rubber bins with labels on outside. And have a charging station where all your chargers are hooked up, with a switch that turns outlet on and off. plenty of outlets, like, a ton. Try to get some ceiling mount outlets installed if you can. Invest in a hanging light system with rails

Some good suggestions there Daboyle! What are the purpose of the rubber bins can I ask?

---------------------------------------------

architect7 wrote:
What size products are you shooting?

Lots of different things. Bicycles, trainers, sofas, jewellery, heritage items etc. All shapes and sizes.

We shoot in 360 so we have robotic turntables that rotate the items around and photograph multiple angles. These robots take up the most space. We are using Bowens & Fomei lighting and are based in the UK.

Jul 22, 2015 at 04:34 AM
Savas K
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Building a new photography studio for shooting products. Need advice

Consider some storage on wheels for: quick reconfiguring of the space, bringing components to the area of work, or for going mobile.

Jul 22, 2015 at 05:19 AM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Building a new photography studio for shooting products. Need advice

Stand Racks are essential IMO. Although not elegant as you say, it looks better than a corner cluttered with stands with all the legs hung up on each other. For a quick solution, BH sells one or if time and money are the priority, there is an angle bracket with multiple holes and slots in it at Home Depot. Carful cutting with a hack saw can produce perfect slots to hang stands from the top stud. This works great if you are mounting them between the 2x4 of a stud wall.

The nice thing is, two wall brackets stacked can store 16 stands against the wall since you can hang the upper ones by holding the base of the stand.

Not sure if you use Formica or plexi back grounds but hanging them on a 1" steel rods is a way to store them where you can get to the back one just as easily as the front one. Hanging also keeps them flat. This can be accomplished by sandwiching the formica between two 1x3 finished boards and drilling through it and bolting them together. The hanger is a simple screw hook screwed into one of the 1x3's. I use two hooks to hang from two rods so the backgrounds don't swing sideways.

Jul 22, 2015 at 02:04 PM
Daboyle
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Building a new photography studio for shooting products. Need advice

rubber bins are great for all those little accessories and random items. Think, gaffer tape rolls, stand clips, sand bags, fold up reflectors, stand attachments, spare bulbs, electrical cords, etc.....

Jul 22, 2015 at 03:37 PM
architect7
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Building a new photography studio for shooting products. Need advice

Lots of different things. Bicycles, trainers, sofas, jewellery, heritage items etc. All shapes and sizes.

We shoot in 360 so we have robotic turntables that rotate the items around and photograph multiple angles. These robots take up the most space. We are using Bowens & Fomei lighting and are based in the UK.

Wow that is very cool, I love the turntable idea. I've been selling high end home audio and mobile electronics on eBay for about 16 years now and I only recently acquired a light tent, not sure what took me so long to get one of these but for lighting just about any product it is brilliant. I'm sure you guys probably already use one but the affordable pricing on them nowadays makes them irresistible. And it folds up small enough to fit under the backseat of my truck, very convenient.

Jul 22, 2015 at 03:40 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Building a new photography studio for shooting products. Need advice

I use lateral file cabinets either two high or 4 high. Clean look, lockable, and when I open a drawer it is easy to see everything inside from front to back.

This works well for the usual items as well as for light stands and tripods.

I buy used cabinets and save 75% and get them in black as different manufacturers black cabinets look much the same.

For a shooting area I made a metal table frame and put a 1/2" thick piece of tempered glass on top. Table height is 30 inches which makes it easy to shoot from above if needed for a product. It works great with the Interfit Cocoons and I use the medium and large size for the products I photograph.

I put lights on each side, at the back, and below the table to shoot up through the glass. Easy with this arrangement to use light stands to get the correct placement for the flash depending on the type of product and its size.

The right light table and tent and lighting setup is a huge timesaver in terms of quickly dialing in the right light outputs and greatly minimizing time spent post processing the images.

Jul 23, 2015 at 05:33 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.