New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Canon 5D Mark IV Rumor

robinlee
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 5D Mark IV Rumor

According to canonwatch and rated CW4 (rumor from a known source that was right in the past, high probability to be true (60%-80% chance to be real)

I am so excited on the new 5D Mark IV spec rumor and I hope it come true, now just hoping the buffer is better than 1Dx to cope with the 12fps and 28MP! :P

There will be 2 variant of 5D namely Mark IV and Mark IVc (video oriented).

Specs.

5D Mark IV
28MP sensor
12fps
Dual Pixel AF III
New and more advanced AF system (compared to EOS 5D Mark III), apparently it will not be the same AF as the 5D Mark IVc (which sounds a bit weird to me)
Anti-flickr technology (seen first on the EOS 7D Mark II)
Crop mode (featured on the EOS 5Ds)
ISO 100-204.800 (expandable to 409.600)

5D Mark IVc
18MP
61 point AF system
ISO 100-204.800
4k video (source says Canon has yet to define the frame rate)
Dual Pixel AF III
Many advanced video features
Features taken from Canon’s Cinema cameras

Jul 21, 2015 at 04:14 AM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 5D Mark IV Rumor

well.....there probably will not be 2 versions it seems. I'd be perfectly happy with just one unit with around 24 to 26mpix.

http://www.canonwatch.com/canon-eos-5d-mark-iv-18mp-and-24mp-test-units-out-in-the-wild-cw2/

Jul 21, 2015 at 05:49 AM
dugaut
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 5D Mark IV Rumor

I'll play.

With a 5D MK IV what could they possibly do with the 1DX?

At first, I'd say they would phase it out not unlike they combined the 1DsIII and 1DMK IV.

But then they wouldn't have the "professional" level camera that can be used as a hammer in the middle of a blizzard. I don't see conservative Canon breaking the paradigm that significantly.

I'm a sports photographer and I know we're due for a 1DX upgrade (I own the 1DX) and I'm thinking: another $6K-$7K when the new 5D has those specs?

Buy the 5D and a battery grip.

Jul 21, 2015 at 06:39 AM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 5D Mark IV Rumor

dugaut wrote:
I'll play.

With a 5D MK IV what could they possibly do with the 1DX?

At first, I'd say they would phase it out not unlike they combined the 1DsIII and 1DMK IV.

But then they wouldn't have the "professional" level camera that can be used as a hammer in the middle of a blizzard. I don't see conservative Canon breaking the paradigm that significantly.

I'm a sports photographer and I know we're due for a 1DX upgrade (I own the 1DX) and I'm thinking: another $6K-$7K when the new 5D has those specs?

Buy the 5D and a battery grip.

I doubt the 5D4 will get more than 6fps. As you say, it would probably kill 1D sales if it had 12fps. Canon will most likely slot the new camera strategically between the 5Ds and the new 1Dx both in mp and fps specs. I would expect the 5D to have a few more mp than the new 1Dx. The 1Dx will probably get some new tech that will keep it at the flagship level and make people want to pony up the bucks.

I'm pretty happy with the 1Dx as it is now. A few more mp perhaps, anti-flicker tech, and further improvement in ISO/dynamic range would be nice but if that's the only improvements I'd be reluctant to pay 1D prices to upgrade. It has to offer something more/new for me to bite.

Jul 21, 2015 at 07:02 AM
dugaut
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 5D Mark IV Rumor

NCAndy wrote:
I doubt the 5D4 will get more than 6fps. As you say, it would probably kill 1D sales if it had 12fps. Canon will most likely slot the new camera strategically between the 5Ds and the new 1Dx both in mp and fps specs. I would expect the 5D to have a few more mp than the new 1Dx. The 1Dx will probably get some new tech that will keep it at the flagship level and make people want to pony up the bucks.

I'm pretty happy with the 1Dx as it is now. A few more mp perhaps, anti-flicker
...Show more

I agree, and I'm also pretty happy with my 1DX. I also own the Nikon D4 and didn't feel excited about the D4S.

Specs are one thing and how the photographer's workflow from planning to executing to post is another much larger "gamut."

Jul 21, 2015 at 07:24 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 5D Mark IV Rumor

dugaut wrote:
I agree, and I'm also pretty happy with my 1DX. I also own the Nikon D4 and didn't feel excited about the D4S.

Specs are one thing and how the photographer's workflow from planning to executing to post is another much larger "gamut."

The D4S didn't excite you? My buddy was shooting D4s and a D810, as soon as the 4S came out, he picked one of those up. Last conversation, he prefers the 4S's files.

Jul 21, 2015 at 07:25 AM
EL_PIC

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 5D Mark IV Rumor

Before the elusive Super Dynamic Range {yet to be ..} Multi Layer Sensor replaces CMOS Bayer ...
I would like to see Canon employ Backside Sensor technology.

Jul 21, 2015 at 07:34 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 5D Mark IV Rumor

I'll play a bit also.

1DX II vs. 5D IV

Say they both have 12 fps and you've got the buffer and the high speed cards, and you are a pro sports shooter (not my gig, but if I were) or other fps oriented shooter. How long is it going to take you to rack up 100,00 ... 200,000 ... 300,000 reps on that shutter.

The first 100,000 frames @ 12 fps will take (shutter actuation time):

8,333 seconds, or
138 minutes, or
2.3 hours

Shutters can be replaced of course, but that hammer in Antartica thing does have its place for some folks more than others.

Edited on Jul 21, 2015 at 07:43 AM · View previous versions

Jul 21, 2015 at 07:38 AM
phibes
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 5D Mark IV Rumor

I see it rated only as CW1 ... so ... keeping hopes in check for now

Jul 21, 2015 at 07:39 AM
dugaut
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 5D Mark IV Rumor

RobertLynn wrote:
The D4S didn't excite you? My buddy was shooting D4s and a D810, as soon as the 4S came out, he picked one of those up. Last conversation, he prefers the 4S's files.

Comparing the D4 to the D4S, given the cost of upgrade (selling the D4 and buying the D4S). I don't doubt the D4S is an improvement over the D4. But I'd rather trade that incremental difference for glass, or God forbid I actually save some money and not keep buying stuff everytime an upgrade comes out. I thought by skipping the D4S upgrade and sticking with the D4 I was actually being financially responsible for once.

Jul 21, 2015 at 07:43 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 5D Mark IV Rumor

EL_PIC wrote:
Before the elusive Super Dynamic Range {yet to be ..} Multi Layer Sensor replaces CMOS Bayer ...
I would like to see Canon employ Backside Sensor technology.

I care less about the technology than the results.

I don't care if Canon uses Frontside Spider Mite technology or Maxwell Demon Farside technology if the resulting image quality equals or exceeds current cameras.

Even though improving the already excellent AF would be mind-boggling and 12 fps would be nice, with the 5DS I won't be buying another camera anytime soon.

Jul 21, 2015 at 08:16 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 5D Mark IV Rumor

dugaut wrote:
Comparing the D4 to the D4S, given the cost of upgrade (selling the D4 and buying the D4S). I don't doubt the D4S is an improvement over the D4. But I'd rather trade that incremental difference for glass, or God forbid I actually save some money and not keep buying stuff everytime an upgrade comes out. I thought by skipping the D4S upgrade and sticking with the D4 I was actually being financially responsible for once.

I think you are in the majority. Given that Canon/Nikon price these bodies in the $6500-6800 range now I think a lot of photographers are skipping generations especially if it's the typical incremental upgrade. I upgraded from a 1D4 to a 1DX because of the FF sensor and the much better high ISO. I'm going to need to see features that make an immediate difference in use or IQ for me to spend that kind of money again on a 1DX2.

Both companies are bumping up against diminishing returns. Also, if we see legitimate new technology that moves the 1D series ahead I wonder if it will stay at $6800. Canon likes to recoup R+D rather quickly and I could easily see it moving back to the old 1Ds price of $8000 which is going to price a lot more people out.

Jul 21, 2015 at 09:02 AM
dugaut
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 5D Mark IV Rumor

ggreene wrote:
I think you are in the majority. Given that Canon/Nikon price these bodies in the $6500-6800 range now I think a lot of photographers are skipping generations especially if it's the typical incremental upgrade. I upgraded from a 1D4 to a 1DX because of the FF sensor and the much better high ISO. I'm going to need to see features that make an immediate difference in use or IQ for me to spend that kind of money again on a 1DX2.

Both companies are bumping up against diminishing returns. Also, if we see legitimate new technology that moves the 1D series
...Show more

I agree; I see law of diminishing returns in the sport camera also, we can't push 36/42/50 mp at 12 fps (although the samsung nx1 does 15 fps at 28 mp, continuous auto focus I think). For short split second bursts I use it for the exact moment shot. Incremental increase in high iso performance that I might pay for in every other upgrade. (Thinking about an equestrian event I recently shot inside at 25600 iso. Generally indoor sports demands at least 6400 iso except maybe for ice hockey b/c the rink is one big reflector.). So less pixels here I'm okay with if it delivers the cleas high iso performance.

Then I own a D810 to print my landscapes big. But even I'm printing less now and I love to print. I'm not a big fan of massive crops on high mp cameras. So I'm not as enthused about much more than we have now as far as mp.

Glass is still were it's at equipment wise. And as a sports photographer, long glass. I was recently complemented for some work I did in a football game and I'm convinced it's b/c I had something other than the 70-200 type lenses which can't really get in close if you're doing field sports. Some days I think my short lens is a 300.

This is a little off topic, but maybe not in the future, I just bought a DJI Phantom3 that has 4k video. I shot my neighbor hood at 400 feet and then closer to the ground. I pulled a couple of 8mb stills from it; not bad. Then I was flying at a high school field to practice controlling it in open conditions and there was a baseball game going on in and adjacent field. I didn't fly the drone over the baseball field (my photography equipment insurers told me my liability coverage won't extend to the drones), but what an incredible perspective advantage the drone would have. You will see 8k in the next few years.

Longer lenses and big cameras won't go away but even now I feel like second fiddle to video and all of the other photography going on.

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:25 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 5D Mark IV Rumor

Monito wrote:
I don't care if Canon uses Frontside Spider Mite technology or Maxwell Demon Farside technology...

I hear Sony has BOTH in their new sensor AND is expected to introduce multi-variable three-layer quantum swashbuckler indeterminacy compensation flux capacitors, too. I'm holding off on any further purchases until that time.

Jul 21, 2015 at 12:22 PM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 5D Mark IV Rumor

My guess: the 1Dx II is going to have a much better sensor than the new 5D. and no way the 5d IV is more than 8 fps.

Jul 21, 2015 at 12:38 PM
dugaut
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 5D Mark IV Rumor

gdanmitchell wrote:
I hear Sony has BOTH in their new sensor AND is expected to introduce multi-variable three-layer quantum swashbuckler indeterminacy compensation flux capacitors, too. I'm holding off on any further purchases until that time.

I don't see warp drive in there anywhere.

50 fps/50mp; lots of photos to look at in post.

Jul 21, 2015 at 12:46 PM
dugaut
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 5D Mark IV Rumor

Schlotkins wrote:
My guess: the 1Dx II is going to have a much better sensor than the new 5D. and no way the 5d IV is more than 8 fps.

It will be interesting to see.

Still some innovating going on.

Jul 21, 2015 at 12:47 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 5D Mark IV Rumor

Yeah I just don't see Canon giving us a smaller sized body with the AF of 1 series (even x and 5d3 are different) with 12 fps and a sensor upgrade (especially when 5ds is out and it didn't really get one.)

If we get 5d4 with 12 fps pushing high mp with ease, a large buffer that's worth a damn (when you are shooting to two cards) why would they need a 1 series? Shutter durability? Weather sealing? Integrated grip? Lack of a knob?

While I like durability of the shutter, a new shutter is $200. I've blown shutters only on 1d cameras and always early in their life.

The rest of the changes, while nice, don't equate to the price difference between a 5 and 1d. In other words, I don't see Canon killing the 1 series sales.

Schlotkins wrote:

Jul 22, 2015 at 04:31 AM
pjbishop
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 5D Mark IV Rumor

Put my order in for a 5D4 with greater dynamic range and a sweet spot between number of MP and cell size to cut down the noise.

Jul 22, 2015 at 04:53 AM
qc_mountain
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 5D Mark IV Rumor

gdanmitchell wrote:

Yes but it need's to be doing 88 Mph so that it can activate the process.

Francois

Jul 22, 2015 at 09:06 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.